what does it cost to repaint the front end of a 430? | FerrariChat

what does it cost to repaint the front end of a 430?

Discussion in '360/430' started by ross, Jan 23, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    my front bumper and hood are a mess of rock chips.
    i thought about covering it with a wrap but then was informed and shown that if you wrap it, you can still see every chip and crack through the wrap !!!!! so that does not solve the problem.

so, back to a normal solution - repainting the front end.

i am not taking it to ferrari, but will find a decent local guy.

what do you guys think it should cost? and what other pointers do you have?

2. BlacktopRacing

BlacktopRacing Formula Junior

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    I think it will depend on how correct you want it. Materials and labor should be o .ore than any other car, but then you have to figure the ferrari tax. I just had the front of myb Subaru legacy sedan painted for the same reason at a cost of $1700, and that's Pittsburgh, which has a somewhat low cost of living (so labor was $95/hr). So if you were in my area, I'd be willing to bet on $3400 for hood, bumper, both fenders, and blended into A-pillar.

3. JoeTSI

JoeTSI Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2015
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Joe K.
  4. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    3 years ago I had the entire front clip (windshield forward) repainted because of rock chips (everywhere). I took the car to the recognized high end body shop here in Austin. I’m pretty sure I paid top dollar but got a PERFECT paint job. $9800. I’m sure if you check around you might find a cheaper price.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

5. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    yeh id say 2k to 4k for the bumper....

6. efg2014

efg2014 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    Northern California
    I wouldn't touch it! In a few years cars with wear will be worth more than the garage queens. Don't waste your money to lower the value of a well worn F-car.I'm half kidding.

7. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    My bumper was about £600 , a few bottom scrapes but otherwise good, fully sprayed.

8. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    The bumper is easy to take off but a pig to get back on, total cost is going to depend how far back they have to go repairing the stone chips and then matching in the new paint to the original.

9. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Wow that sounds like an incredible deal if the paint work was good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. BRADAN

BRADAN Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
    7,500 for a quality job. I've heard of people paying up to 10k but thats normally through a dealership with there mark up on the bodyshop bill. Make sure they take the nose apart, lights out, etc. Ferraris have almost zero orange peal so it would have to be wet sanded and polished after paint. Keep the color away from the door edge otherwise you will have to blend the doors and A pillars opening a can of worms.

flash32 likes this.
  11. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    hmmmm ok, so i guess it is somewhere around $3500.

for your info, the regular wrap costs $3500 for the whole car, and if i choose some kind of heavier material like carbon fiber weave, then the price is $5500.

in order for the wrap to be effective, the chips would each have to be sanded and smoothed - which is essentially what somebody painting it would have to do as well, (hence the rethink). i wonder what this portion of the process alone would cost? i guess it might be the bulk of the price since this is hardest labor component.

if i did get it repainted, i would then want to protect it and get the front of the car clear wrapped, and that costs another $1k.

so it seems like no matter which way i go, the min total is going to be about $4-5k.

i do question whether it is worth it.

12. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    My damage was on the bottom so no chips to deal with on the visable bits- shines up well

13. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    Probably $5000-7000.

14. Ernieinky

Ernieinky Rookie

May 25, 2018
    Full Name:
    Matthew Ernst
    Oddly enough, I just had both front and rear done. Mine is difficult Argento Nurburgring Fer. (Silver), repairing pretty good gauge in rear from garage door slicing into it by mistake and front with various paint pealing and love taps, all in $1900. Starting to feel good about living in the Midwest, my work was done by a class shop that has done the whole rotisserie thing on older Ferraris.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

15. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    £260 (approx $330?) for my 16M front bumper. I usually pay £225 for bumpers but fibreglass Ferrari bumpers always seem need a bit more prep. I know these cars are a pride and joy but try not to pay over the odds just because it's a Ferrari - there are some crazy prices quoted - more so when Ferrari is mentioned.

£3k/$4k usd gets me a bare metal concourse finish on a smaller car.

I always prefer to take my cars to smaller shops who work on enthusiast cars/restorations.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Flea7 likes this.
  16. strongx

strongx Karting

Mar 20, 2009
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Rock Thompson
    When I bought my 430 in 2011 from the SLC dealer they had just had the front bumper painted and said it cost only $600. It's time to do it again, so I guess I'll find out...