what brought speculators in to the Ferrari market in the 70s and ever since then? | FerrariChat

what brought speculators in to the Ferrari market in the 70s and ever since then?

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by petearron, Jan 9, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. petearron

petearron Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jul 1, 2009
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    jeff
    #1 petearron, Jan 9, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
    Ferrari was famous in the 60s but you could get a 250GTO for $6500, granted it was a lot of money but not crazy money like 8 figures today, nothing magical changed with Ferrari other than Fiats stake and a few Constructor Championships in F1 in the 70s, Ferrari even became less of a racing company dropping out of Sports Car racing from the factory after the 512S.

So those that were around what happened? Why did prices go nuts for cars that no one wanted except enthusiests? Was it gradual or just boom over a year or two the Ferrari market forever changed?

2. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Just simple economics IMO... they don't make 250s anymore, and the economy
    has ballooned since then.

Just read that a 1905 (or so) rare nickel sold for $3+ million the other day. Someday
    I'm sure my 328 will be worth a mint - LONG after I'm gone and no longer own it.

Jedi