Well lookie here.... | FerrariChat

Well lookie here....

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by dstacy, Oct 18, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    The first of the Leake cars has reared its ugly head. #34985 which was sold in 2004 in California and sold last month in Houston for $12k at the Leake Auction is for sale in NY.

For those of you who are observant there are some VERY interesting things about this car aside from the obvious yellow lenses and wrong prancing horse on the back.
    This car is titled a 1981. It has a series 1 dash, series 1 seats, series 1 mirrors, and a series 1 suspension. Yet it has trx wheels and tires. It also has a Nardi steering wheel.
    This could be one of the "cross-over cars" between the series 1 and series 2. I'd sure like to know which fuse box it has.

Not the actual mileage since the speedo is stickered. Once upon a time lots of money was spent of this one look at all those stainless steel braided lines.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220496104576&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3ASS%3AUS%3A1123

2. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I can't tell, is that a series 2 grille on it?

3. FerrariKingV12

FerrariKingV12 Karting

Nov 21, 2008
    Laguna Beach CA
    Full Name:
    JR
    Sold for 12k, wow what a bargain. Now the buyer wants to make a quick 10 grand. I think I should try to corner the Ferrari 400 market and buy up all the inventory. It is all about supply and demand.

4. pks41805

pks41805 Formula 3

Aug 4, 2007
    Colorado Springs, Co
    Full Name:
    Paul Sloan
    Dave, I'm sorry I know I have asked this before, but what are the
    differences between series I and II?

5. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave

There were 461 brought to the US. If you pretend that EVERY one was still on the road, which we know isn't true, it would only take around 11mill to buy them all. Hold them all for 3 years then start releasing the best ones at $75k each. In another 3 years you'd turn a 15 or 20mill profit. Of course you'd have to get every owner in Europe and Aussie land to agree to not sell theirs while you were trying to corner the market.

On second thought maybe we'd better work on something else.

PS - at the winery 'til 5 tonight, sorry we must have missed your call.

6. FerrariKingV12

FerrariKingV12 Karting

Nov 21, 2008
    Laguna Beach CA
    Full Name:
    JR
    I think it would be fun to corner the Ferrari 400 market, after I went bust I could write a book and hang out with the Hunt Brothers. I will give you a call in the AM (around 10:30 your time) to share more on the registry.

7. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #7 dstacy, Oct 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Don't be sorry Paul, no biggie. As long as I'm up and the joints in my hands will let me type......
    Differences between S1 and S2 cars:
    • seats
    • rear suspension
    • grille
    • outside rear mirrors
    • center console
    • wheels/tires (there were some, not many, crossover cars)
    • dash
    • steering wheel
    • fuse box/relay board
    • headliner/overhead console/interior lights
    • door locks
    to name a few.

Here are some examples:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Answering my own question....that is indeed a series TWO grille.
    Interesting car.

9. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Supposedly owned by astronaut Wally Schirra ca. 1994. That has to be one of the scariest looking engine compartments I've seen in a 400i series. One can only imagine what the internals look like if the outside looks like that. They didn't even bother to wipe down the topside.

10. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    I vote it Ugliest side marker lights. Simply spray painting over them would improve the looks IMO.

11. tr0768

tr0768 Formula Junior

Oct 28, 2008
    maltby wa
    Full Name:
    Howard Musolf
    I finally got a staff member to call me regarding the cars just before the auction. His comment to me was that these cars had been stored for a few years in a warehouse, then removed and stored outside in the sun and weather for 2 years. I'm guessing the reason for the deploryable condition of the engine compartment. Also being stored out in the high heat and sun must certinaly cooked the life out of the leather seats.

I wonder why a dealer would go to the effort of a buff and puff and not at least detail the engine compartment?? I'm sooo glad I was unable to make connections with Leake and purchase any of those cars...........

Howard Musolf
    tr0768
    1981 308gtsi
    1982 400i cabriolet
    Maserati Spider
    2 many brass era cars

12. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Other than those side markers which look to be clearance lights from a U-Haul truck it looks nice. Certainly better presented than by the previous seller.
    Those braided lines are the cosmetic poseur version and belong in same bin as the lights.

13. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #13 dstacy, Oct 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Does anyone have any idea what this line is for? I believe it has been added. From the factory it should curve off the vacume modulator and go directly into the airbox. This one has been spliced, with a gazillion hose clamps, and goes forward. I can't think of anything forward that would need vacume.

14. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Dave,

Not sure on the hose.

John,

It may not be pretty, but I suspect that all of the aircraft grade plumbing is a reliability upgrade.

Regards,

Art S.

15. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    I saw this one, but got a funny "wrong" vibe from the start. Interesting, that it's from the Leake grouping.

I'm sure that the difference between Aircraft Grade and "Aircraft Grade Look" sold in hot rod shops and PepBoys is negligible.........yet still might be a reliability upgrade.

16. tomberlin

tomberlin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2005
    Bethesda
    Full Name:
    tom berlin
    Anyone have any idea what parts would cost for a 5 spd conversion and would it be possible to find parts? Is the trans the same as ones found in any other cars?
    Sorry if this has been discussed before.
    Tom B