News

Weird noise in front end

Discussion in '308/328' started by jim rosenthal, Mar 16, 2020.

1. jim rosenthal

jim rosenthal Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 10, 2006
    My '85 308 GTB has developed this odd habit; when the car is not moving, but engine turning, and I turn the steering wheel all the way to the right, it makes a loud noise as if some rotating part were rubbing on something. It sounds like metal on metal. Moving the wheel even a little towards center position stops it. It is very repeatable- always happens. Anyone ever heard this, any idea what it might be? We will get it on the lift and look but I wondered if anyone else has had this happen.

Off this topic, but I find it very entertaining that as the 308s evolved, the gauge dials became LESS legible than they were at first. Even in broad daylight, I can't see the pointers of the gauges. Crazy.

2. redqv

redqv Karting

Jan 26, 2015
    Almost Oregon, California
    Full Name:
    Ron Stevens
    I can’t help you with the steering wheel noise, but understand completely about the gauges. I have very seriously considered painting them an orange to match the tach when I had them all apart re- doing the bulbs with LED. But I’m sure no one on FChat would talk to me again.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

3. moysiuan

moysiuan Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Worn ball joint or tie rod? Maybe a worn or loose front coil spring assembly? should take the wheel off and torque up all the bolts, something might just be loose.

4. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    Off topic, but I can relate. I am blue-green color blind, and I solved my problem like this:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/308-gauges-out-with-veglia-in-with-vdo.59100/

Without exception, every single person who has noticed the gauges at car shows and such, over the past 15 years, has been very complimentary.

DM