water in gas | FerrariChat

water in gas

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by justhrowit, Jan 22, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. justhrowit

justhrowit Formula 3

Feb 12, 2004
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Jay D.
    I have a problem here if someone can help me out. A couple days ago I had the check engine light come on in my truck. It's Checy avalanche. 2002, I have a touch over 100,000 miles on it. the place I took it to recommended to do the 100,000 mile service. There were a couple codes that came up. Running lean was one of them. The machanic suggested the service and fealt it would take care of the light. It did...at first. I brough it back to them and the y looked at it again. The only problem they thought it could be is water in the tank. hey held it over night so a master mechanic could look at it.....well, 1/8th of a tank of water!!!!!! never had a problem with this vehicle in 100,000 miles. Very well kept! They aren't charging me to look at it which is a relief. They suggested I go to the last place I got gas and see what they can do! First thing that went though my mind was "yeah right". For fun I called the place and as I suspected....they deny what they can. They never have problems with water, tankers measure the water, blah blah! I have half a tank of gas/water mixture. Pep Boys is saying it would probably be 1500 bucks to get the gas out and dispose of it!!!!! HOLY HELL! I've been looking at a new vehicle. I don't see myself paying the 1500 to fix this...not with a 100 grand on the clock and me looking at a new truck. Anyone have any advice or gone through this BS?

2. DMOORE

DMOORE Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Darrell
    Simple fix. Since water is heavier than gas, it sits at the bottom of the tank. Disconnect the fuel line near the tank, if it does not drain it is because of the in tank pump. Simply turn the key on which will cause the pump to prime the system, and pump the water into a bucket. If you set the bucket outside the gas will evaporate off and leave the water. After this is done go to a boat store and buy some stabalizer, which will help burn any remaining water in the system. Refill tank. A couple of hours and a few bucks and your on the road.

Darrell.

3. justhrowit

justhrowit Formula 3

Feb 12, 2004
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Jay D.
    That sounds easy enough! I'll have to climb under the truck and see that I can figure it out. I'm guessing it's just a hose clamp or two holding everything together? It would sound like it would be benificial to do this with as low of a tank as possible? Does driving with excessive gas in the tank damage the vehicle?

J

4. DMOORE

DMOORE Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Darrell

I would not drive the vehicle with the water in there. If you had to, make sure to put in the fuel stabalizer that is designed to mix with the water. Boat stores carry this product, because it is a pretty common problem.

Darrell.

5. justhrowit

justhrowit Formula 3

Feb 12, 2004
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Jay D.
    I'll go to a marine shop this afternoon and get some Sta-Bil.

J

6. justhrowit

justhrowit Formula 3

Feb 12, 2004
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Jay D.

I just thought of something else....your saying I won't actually have to drain the WHOLE tank because the water is on the bottom! Apple just fell from the tree...sorry! Just drain the tank until the water stops and gas starts (color change), correct?

7. DMOORE

DMOORE Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Darrell
    You got it. May only have to drain a few gallons. I still cannot believe Pep boys wanted $ 1500.oo to do this. Talk about a rip-off.

Darrell.

8. justhrowit

justhrowit Formula 3

Feb 12, 2004
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Jay D.
    They said since it was contaminated they needed to drain the whole tank and pay a company to dispose of it. The disposing was the expensive part.

J