Want to upgrade my A/C | FerrariChat

Want to upgrade my A/C

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Temerian, Jun 17, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Temerian

Temerian Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 17, 2014
    Manhattan
    Full Name:
    Rick Temerian
    Any advise for getting a little more cool out of my A/C system. It is stock now and while it blows cold it doesn't really keep the cabin cold enough on sunny, warm days. Black paint probably doesn't help but I don't want to change the color of the car. All input is appreciated.

2. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Something is wrong somewhere. I'm in Houston and with the a/c on you can hang meat in my car even in August. So check all the air connections and make sure there aren't any air leaks, run R12 NOT 134, ....

3. Temerian

Temerian Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 17, 2014
    Manhattan
    Full Name:
    Rick Temerian
    Thanks, Dave. I'll go through the system but I think the previous owner changed over to 134 so I guess I will have to flush everything out.

4. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I know it's not SUPPOSED to make a difference but I've been in a 400 running 134 and I thought it wasn't cooling as well as mine.

5. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    I'm running 134 in mine and the A/C is marginal. When I got my system up and working I did a lot of research on the r12 to r134 conversion. The thing you need to do when switching over is increase the size of the condenser by at least 25%. Remember new cars have had r134 since the mid 90s and they work good. At the time I got it up and working I was under a tight schedule and didn't have a chance to change the condenser and that project is on my to do list.

6. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    The stock A/C did a great job getting us across heavy traffic in Manhattan one July day with 90+ temps while we were on the way to the NJ Ferrari Festival.

My understanding is that R134 needs new, larger dryers (condensers) and possibly other updates to perform well.

7. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    And you need A/C in Alaska because why? All those 70 degree heat waves? ;)

8. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Global warming my friend, must prepare for the future! 😀