Video Gamers: Nintendo Consoles Will Die | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Video Gamers: Nintendo Consoles Will Die

Discussion in 'Technology' started by ryalex, Sep 17, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chevarri

Chevarri Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2003
    In a rose bush.
    Full Name:
    J'aime

Sega just devos software now, they really aren't following anyone. Micro$oft and Nitendo are the one's following. I don't see Nintendo coming out of this gen of systems alive. They'll probably just pull a Sega, stop making systems and just make games exclusivly. Microsoft is releasing the 360 LONG before the PS3, historically the systems that have done this have almost always done very, very, well. I also think the PSP will run out the DS as well.

2. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Ok, in mild defense of Nintendo, I just watched the Shigeru Miyamoto press conference and it is interesting to see their demo of the remote's possible uses. I would like to give it a try. If all they are banking on is a controller - what will stop Microsoft from developing an equivalent controller? Don't think that if it is appealing MS wouldn't make their own... heck, MS would probably give it away for free!

3. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    It's logical that Microsoft would have the technology, ability, and marketing prowess to reverse engineer and overcome patent issues by slightly modifying Nintendo's design, but I ask you this: Where is the XBOX's answer to the DFP Force Feedback steering wheel for PS2? They made a big to-do about one-upping Gran Turismo 4, but they fell way short when it comes to Force Feedback technology.

4. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Oh My God I am turning into a video game geek. Where did it all go wrong?

5. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Don't worry, console gamers are quirky but sane... it's those Counterstrike on PC guys that are the ubergeeks! :D

6. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    hangs head in shame

I know the cold mistress of counterstrike. She will leech the energy out of you and make time disappear...

7. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    That's a Logitech product. MS can't be expected to combat 3rd party controllers!

If Sony made it, I would think MS might take it on... even then, at $150 I'm skeptical it would be a wild seller.

8. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Sony probably made their deal with logitec exclusive, but it would seem to me like Microsoft would be interested in partnering with another co. to develop it. I'm sure there was a cost benefit analysis done. Maybe they're waiting come out with it for the 360.

9. hwyengr

hwyengr Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    Although it was an abysmal failure, you have to admit that the Virtual Boy was really cool.

And that's one of the reasons I really like Nintendo. They innovate. What is different about the 360 and PS3 other than having a new generation of hardware? I say let Sony and MS have their pissing war over the hardcore gamers. Nintendo already gave up on them, if they ever really courted 'em in the first place. I'll just be sitting back on the couch, beer in one hand, Revolution controller in the other, casting my virtual fishing line into the virtual pond with a flick of the wrist.

10. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    I always thought Nintendo is one of the true masters of the home console industry. Over the years, they have taken many risks with great success but like anyone else they have had their share of mistakes. I didn't think the new DS system would be a hit but was I wrong. Keep in mind the software is the key to any systems success. Does any remember the Sega Genesis CD system? It didn’t last long. Without a best selling game or launch title, they don’t have a chance. What maybe a hit in Asia maybe not be accepted in North America, lets all just wait & see.

11. Chevarri

Chevarri Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2003
    In a rose bush.
    Full Name:
    J'aime
    TGS and the unusual controller may have been a hit, but this is absoloutly right. Keep in mind The JP really like their dating simulation games.

12. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Oh man, I also had one of these systems! The best was the redonkulous controllers with the phone pad setup going on:D

13. FrostyAK

FrostyAK Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2005
    Anchorage, AK
    Another point that is being left out is the fact that Nintendo will have a conventional controller which can be used in tandem with this one. So, that being the case, not all of the 3rd part developers will bail.

- Chris

14. Stolit

Stolit Karting

Mar 31, 2004
    La Habra Heights, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    I can't really speak for that, but I've had an NES, SNES, N64, GB, GBC, GBA, and GC. The systems themeslves have all taken varying degrees of abuse (from mere drops to floods to being thrown off a balcony onto a hard patio below to being left on for weeks). I don't know where the NES is, but every single system still works flawlessly, as do all the controllers and games, despite being heavily flogged for years. Nintendo makes some tough stuff, so I wouldn't be quick to dismiss this as fragile.

Conversely, my PS1 was indestructable while my PS2 breaks down if it gets dusty, if you look at it the wrong way, or if it's Wednesday. I also had a friend who dropped his PS2 once and had to buy a new one. I'm not excessively concerned about the Revolution or 360, but I am concerned about the PS3.

Either way, it's not my style, and I won't be picking up a Revolution if that's required use for most games.

15. EnzymaticRacer

EnzymaticRacer F1 Veteran

Feb 27, 2005
    Hey Hey Hey... everyone needs to stop saying that Nintendo is just for little kids. True, their major market share is in kiddie games... but Nintendo has plenty of Adult games and such.

Nintendo is the company that really got the console gaming generation going, so all the MS and Sony Fanboys can go ahead and shut up now.

So what if MS and Sony have hundreds of titles released regularly... half of them are all the same as any other game, rarely better then anything else that was already available.

Anyone seen anything new and innovative for MS and Sony's release lineup??? I sure havent. They are all remakes of the same game. Sure the games may be fun for a few hours of play... but only Nintendo has been able to make games that have kept me playing for 50... 60... 100 hours... ON THE SAME GAME.

For instance... take Metroid Prime, and Metroid Prime 2. MP was THE game that pulled me away from computer games back to the console, nothing else was appealing to me. Its control system is far more advanced then any other game I've played... but here's the killer... it was EASY TOO.

Nintendo's stuff works. There's nothing else to it. Go try it out before you start bashing it because you are too close minded to try anything new. I know I'll be getting a Revolution... because one, I can play all my GCube games on it... not to mention EVERY OTHER Nintendo game ever released. And for me the classics are still the classics, and anyone that says they suck just isn't a real gamer.