Video Gamers: Nintendo Consoles Will Die | FerrariChat

Video Gamers: Nintendo Consoles Will Die

Discussion in 'Technology' started by ryalex, Sep 17, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    #1 ryalex, Sep 17, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    They just released pics and there's some commentary about the new controller for the upcoming Nintendo Revolution. See below.

My prediction is that if they actually release a system using these retarded controllers, they will meet a fate worse than Dreamcast. It will make 3D0 look like a smash hit. Atari Jaguar owners will feel bad for them.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    What the hell is that contraption?

3. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    The thumbstick on the left for control, with the buttons on the right - it is also location-sensitive, supposedly tracking units mounted along your TV will use the "nunchuck style" controls and convert that into 3D motion... I suppose that is for the n00bs and girls who "jump" with the controller when they want Mario to jump.

4. TestaRoasta

TestaRoasta Formula Junior

May 30, 2005
    Full Name:
    Logan
    HOLE EE SH*T, that is one of man's worst ideas ever. They will sell none of those in America

5. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    Holy lord, everyone who has stock in nintendo(namco) sell, sell, sell!!!

6. infraredline

infraredline Formula 3

Mar 15, 2004
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    John
    I think this is an awesome idea. It's basically an advanced motion-sensitive mouse. You can use it to steer by tilting or pointing side to side - it'll work as a gun, so you just point at the screen and shoot, etc, etc. . .

7. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Well, their target is apparently casual and party gamers, not the 'hardcore' gamer. Kind of a 'family fun' system, rather than something you're going to play Halo on for hours on end.

8. TestaRoasta

TestaRoasta Formula Junior

May 30, 2005
    Full Name:
    Logan
    What's the point, we have wireless controlers, what advances are needed?

9. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I like my Jag. It has a cool name. Thats about all it has going for it as it collects dust in an attic somewhere.

10. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    I use lots of body english when I play videogames. Especially driving games when I'm using the hand controller and the car is exhibiting understeer. I'll lean into the turn every time.

11. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    That is great.
    I use a mouse with similar technology on my PC, and there's nothing more fun than actually moving around in 3D to aim and fire in games such as Soldier of Fortune 2 and co ...
    I'd use it.

12. HIGHROLLERM85

HIGHROLLERM85 Karting

Jul 17, 2004
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I've played video games all my life and have never seen a controler like that one. It actually may be a smart set up, but I don't think I'll use it. I plan on buying playstation 3 and XBOX 360.

13. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I had one too! Actually, certain games, like Aliens Vs. Predator, Iron Soldier and Tempest were great and in some cases well ahead of their time in console-dom.

Do you know where yours is? To be honest, once I get a little $, I want to start collecting vintage video games and have a little arcade and library. I wish I still had all of the ones I had growing up...

14. otaku

otaku Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Boise,Idaho
    Full Name:
    Josh
    Yeah not a big fan of it either. I'll be getting ps3 and xbox 360 though. Already have my PSP. I dunno though at the moment nintendo is the only company with profits and I know they have plenty fans not to mention I know quite a few fellow gamers who actually like this setup

15. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Riiiiight. $10 Billion dollar industry, and Nintendo is the only one turning a profit? That's creative accounting for ya.

16. AKS

AKS Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    Sin City
    I'm sure that Sony and MS are already filing for bankruptcy.

That controller set-up is just plain retarded. I'll take a PS3 please.

17. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Not entirely sure. Probably in the attic somewhere. If I ever go hunting up there for misc stuff and come across it, I will ship it to you.

18. infraredline

infraredline Formula 3

Mar 15, 2004
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    John
    Yeah everything about the nintendo brand suggests that is mostly for younger and/or less serious gamers. They're the digital equivilent of a board game. People who are not into video games can sit down and have fun with it - only now you never have to put down your gin and tonic.

19. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    I wonder how well that damned thing will work after dropping it a few times...:)

20. Murcielago03

Murcielago03 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2004
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Shaan
    apparently this thing was a huge hit at the Tokyo gamers trade show.

21. hwyengr

hwyengr Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss this new controller. Given that modern controller layout was invented by Nintendo, I think they know a thing or two about these things. All of the reviews from people that used it were stellar.

But, then again, I'm a bit biased. My Power Glove still sees the light of day every now and again.

22. acehole

acehole Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Axel
    Maybe this wont be such a bad failure afterall. Do you not remember that Nintendo was the one that had invented joypad game control?

It was revolutionary back then, this could be their next revolutionary advance in gaming; Theres a reason fighter pilots have been using this same intuitive target control for nearly a decade now.

23. acehole

acehole Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Axel
    beat me to it!

24. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    While you guys maybe right, I think Sony has sewn up the console market. Nintendo. sega and Xbox are all followers at this point.

25. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    #25 ryalex, Sep 18, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    While I give Nintendo create for many advances in gaming, they have not found success with every innovation. This one, I think, will be a hard sell. And frankly, I wonder how the spending habits of their target niche break down: serious gamers tend to stick with PS2 and Xbox even now, while Gamecube is targeted to a distinctly younger demographic, with less buying power.

Another Nintendo proclamation of the future: