Value of the original 166 models. | FerrariChat

Value of the original 166 models.

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by Long Beach Pride, Jun 10, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Long Beach Pride

Mar 13, 2014
    Long Beach Ca
    Full Name:
    Alfred E. Neumen
    I was unable to find muh i formation on any valuation guides, Hagerty, NADA and more.

I understand that many variant's were created right after the second world war and those variant's had their own niche's to race for.

Have any 166 Ferrari's come to market or auction or sold via auction? And if so how much. I would imagine these cars no matter of what state or conditions will fetch huge money because the owner's will have the cars reconditioned to concourse level. Take them straight to Ferrari for their rebuild services which you should have no problem being accepted into.

Just like that number 4 Porsche 356 built in Gmünd and as soon as after the car was bought and under reconditioning Porsche Stepped Forward telling the owner they would buy the car for some silly numbers. But the owner said no, everyone must wait until after the car is done. Who know's how many years still.

2. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    Search RM and Gooding for more details but if you are talking 166MM then you have to remember originality is king and most if not all of the 166MM that have sold in recent years have lived a very hard life. RM have sold two in the last 5 years for around the 2 - 3 million dollar market IIRC and both had been rebodied. Gooding sold a Coupe for around $6.5 million in January, An original would have to begin at least $8 and one with a great racing history would likely top $10 million. #0008M which won both Le Mans and Mille Miglia could be worth $15 - 20 million if it ever sells again which it probably won't.

3. Long Beach Pride

Mar 13, 2014
    Long Beach Ca
    Full Name:
    Alfred E. Neumen
    Ok makes perfect sence. That is since these were racing cards are were more than likely to be written off even after just one race.

The key here is Providence and Survivor's and wins attached to specific cars and those who drove the cars. Like Carroll Shelby if you would, or Manuel of course.

Reading the Wiki on the cars suggest Ferrari had many different variant's. But the MM is the one to have if one has the coin.

Thank you for your reply.

4. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Get a copy of Cavallino magazine. They have a market guide in each issue. Lots of 166 variations.

Jeff

5. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    Rick Cole does some wonderful auction coverage and these are the last two 166mm descriptions that I can recall.

Gooding - Scottsdale 2016 - Coupe
    Lot # 33 1950 Ferrari 166 MM Berlinetta Le Mans, Body by Touring; S/N 0060M; Engine # 0060M; Blue/Black leather; Estimate $5,750,000 – $6,500,000; Recent restoration, 2+ condition; With Reserve; Hammered Sold at $5,900,000 plus commission of 10.00%; Final Price $6,490,000 – RHD. Silver painted wire wheels, Dunlop Racing tires, Marchal head and fog lights. – Raced by Cornacchia and Serafini when new, then exported to Chinetti in New York after it was shown at the 1950 Paris Salon. Bought by Briggs Cunningham for whom it was upgraded to 195S specs, then entered in Sebring driven by Chinetti and finishing 7th overall and first in class. Later raced at Buenos Aires finishing 7th driven by Jim Kimberly, Bridgehampton (Phil Walters 2nd) and Watkins Glen (John Fitch 2nd.) Later owned by Henry N. Manney III, with a long, active career following until it was restored in 2001, taking second in class at Pebble Beach. Excellent paint, interior and bright trim. Freshly done to better than showroom condition without going too far. Represented as the original engine, chassis, gearbox and rear axle. – This important and beautiful 195-spec 166 MM has a significant race history in the hands of recognized hero-level drivers. It is beautifully and sympathetically restored by a recognized expert and is little exposed to the public since Pebble Beach 2001. Among the 87 Ferraris offered in Scottsdale it is, by more than a factor of two, the most expensive. The runner-up is, however, a 330 GTC and this MM is more than twice the car in any number of ways. While the price is appropriate in today’s Ferrari market, the new owner has gotten very good value for the money.

RM - Monterey 2013
    Lot # 125 1950 Ferrari 166 MM Barchetta, Body by after Touring; S/N 0038M; Engine # 0038M; Red/Tan leather; Estimate $3,000,000 – $3,500,000; Rebodied or re-created, 3+ condition; Hammered Sold at $2,800,000 plus commission of 10.00%; Final Price $3,080,000 – RHD. Chrome spoke outside laced wheels, strange but historically appropriate multiple aeroscreens, Michelin XVS tires – Raced by Ascari, Chinetti, Louis-Dreyfus, Cornacchia, Serafini, Bracco as a barchetta, rebodied in ’51 or ’52 with a coupe body by Vignale and sold in Argentina by Jose Froilan Gonzalez. Eventually rebodied with this barchetta body. Many time Mille Miglia storica participant. A good older restoration with very good paint and interior. Chassis is older and shows use. Comes with the coupe body, too. Engine is 2,562cc, a 212 in displacement. – A sexy, get you in anywhere you want to go, car with a typically checkered history for the era of multiple bodies and engine upgrades but a traceable, illustrious racing history in the hands of the best of the period and participation at Le Mans and second overall in the Mille Miglia in 1950. The result suggests some astute thinking by the bidders and careful balancing of the car’s many variations to arrive at a sensible compromise price.

IMO, Cavallino is a fantastic resource and will give a fuller price summary but the gist of all Ferrari pricing is that an open spider/ barchetta/ roadster should receive a solid premium over a Coupe, that the Coupe sold for roughly double the Barchetta speaks of the relative originality of the two AND some market movement in the interim three years. Also not forget that opportunity cost always has a role to play with people often willing to pay more for Mr. right now rather than wait an interminable amount of time for Mrs. right.

6. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Tim,

In part I was pointing to Cavallino because they have a more detailed breakdown across more iterations of 166s. Corsa, Barchetta, Inter, the different body builders, Series 2, etc. I take it that the OP may not be as thoroughly briefed on all the different variations in those earliest years.

7. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    Sweet as. The sheer number of models and different tipo's can be bewildering so I totally understand and agree.
    Cheers Tim

8. Long Beach Pride

Mar 13, 2014
    Long Beach Ca
    Full Name:
    Alfred E. Neumen
    Exactly, all the variations Ferrari made and then of those which cars actually made it to Modernity with the Original body and had some race history or owner history attached to it makes a great difference in value.

Thanks for the heads up on the book and RM auctions everyone. I doubt I will ever own one. Still working on the Down payment for a Huayra.