V12 ferrari headroom | FerrariChat

V12 ferrari headroom

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by Left Eye of Ra, Feb 12, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Left Eye of Ra

Nov 17, 2018
    Australia
    So I took off last weekend to the 2 nearby ferrari dealers to find an 812 to buy. I'd been looking at the lusso, but here in Oz the advertised used prices of lussos aren't really that much lower than 812's, and since I'm not really comfortable putting my kids in the rear seat (no side or curtain airbags), I figured one kid in the front in an arguably cooler, faster car was the way forward.

I am big (198cm, 6'6" in the old money, long body), but can generally get into most cars without sunroofs - a huracan and a lotus, to give examples. I was shocked how little chance I had to squeeze into the 812. It wasn't even close.

So. I have read in old threads that racing seats are lower, but they would need to be much, much lower to not have my neck kinked in the car I sat in. Is this a known issue, or can I look for a spec which has more room, or is there another solution (apart from buying a gts and never shutting the roof). To be honest, I'd be a bit upset if I can never buy a 2 seat Ferrari.

2. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    I'm not quite as tall as you (193cm) but I have had similar issues. I owned an 812 SF with race seats and just fit in. I needed to fiddle around with the seat adjustment and the headroom was marginal at best but it was OK. Look for a 812 which has race seats AND no seat lifter. It's only marginal but I think not having the lifting mechanism gives you a tiny bit more head room. The other thing to try is to move the seat forward a little more than you would normally but then tilt the seat backwards more.

Other than the seats, there are no specs with more leg or head room.

If you wanted to get more drastic you could look at having the seat removed and put onto a lower bracket (?) but I imagine massively expensive and getting it safety certified would not be easy. I have heard of tall people doing it for other cars, though.

Kind of crazy that a massive (on the outside) grand tourer can't accommodate a slightly taller than average person... but there you go! The curse of being tall! At least we can see at concerts :)

Karl

PS. the 812 is awesome. You will love it if you get one.

3. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    My 488 GTB has considerably more headroom and legroom than my 812. Both have racing seats - Goldrake in the 488, Daytona in the 812. The 488 is more comfortable, for sure.

4. Left Eye of Ra

Nov 17, 2018
    Australia
    Thank you Napoli and Karl. I never thought a 488 would have more room!

rossodino likes this.
  5. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I am 6’6” and 265lbs. So I am not just tall, I am also big in the conventional sense of the expression. I own a Ferrari 812 with racing seats, and while I do not have extensive seat time in a 488, I did participate in the Ferrari Corso Pilota at Road Atlanta a couple summers ago where I spent two days in each car all the time fitted with a helmet. I think I can speak authoritatively on the matter, and while others have submitted their opinions, mine is the opposite: I emphatically submit that the 812 is bath more spacious and more comfortable. By the way, of all the cars I own (Performante, 05 Ford GT, 2017 Dodge Viper ACR), the 812 is the largest by far.

So I have a technique for “fitting” in these cars (I use the term fitting very loosely). Incongruously, I bring the seat forward a 1-1.5”. I do this to slightly exaggerate the recline in the seat. I scoot my butt down the seat, and the steering wheel ends up sitting almost between my legs. Invariably my head bounces off the roof, but that’s the price of admission. I am not in what would be considered a technically proper racing position. I have always understood that comfort is off the table for me when it comes to these cars.

If you look closely in the picture below, you can see that the driver’s seat is ever so slightly in front of the passenger seat, and the recline is more than what you would normally expect.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Left Eye of Ra and wrs like this.
  6. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I guess if it's the coupe but my Spider had less headroom and I did have a hard time squeezing into mine at 6'3". I have adequate headroom and legroom in the 812, more for sure than my 488 Spider.