Update on PPF/Ceramice installers in VA/MD/DC area | FerrariChat

Update on PPF/Ceramice installers in VA/MD/DC area

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by Solid State, Jun 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Title should say "Ceramic" instead of "Ceramice".

F12 is at FOW and may be done soon so looking for a very good PPF installer that does ceramic as well. Car has 3-layer RM and looking for clarity and full coverage. Guessing to do ceramic as well. Unsure of any brands or shops in that area despite some seaching. One I called was out of business. Throw me a name please and any suggestions on the materials if you have any experience and want to share. Was thinking high level Suntek with the built-in coating and Kamakazi or C-quartz high level. No idea on cost. Any information helpful. Thanks.

2. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Go with STEK it is the best stuff out there. I used Xpel on some panels and STEK on others on my GT3, dirt just comes right off the STEK + it is has no orange peel. I also have it on my new 720 Spider.

Solid State likes this.
  3. SCJ264

SCJ264 Rookie

Jul 4, 2019
    East Coast USA
    Full Name:
    Stephen Jehle
    Looking for any recommendations on an installer near Dulles Airport in VA. By the Ferrari of Washington dealership. I am not comfortable applying ceramic myself. Thanks to all that respond.

4. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Thank you. Did you use any ceramic over it and which if I may ask? I got a shout out from an FChat member for TLC Auto Detailing in in Sterling in case others are interested. Has anyone here used them before? Thanks.

5. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    With STEK it already has a coating. On my GT3 we initially did the fenders with STEK and the hood with Xpel for comparison. The STEK wrapped panels have no orange peel and shed water so easily. The installer has to be very good through as the material is a bit tougher to work with I am told.

Go see Glaswerks on Ridgetop Circle in Sterling, ask for Adrian. It will be worthwhile to check out the new shop at the very least.

6. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Thank you. Is STEK the same as Suntek? I recall that this was recommended by Esoteric in Ohio a few years ago as not changing the tint of the paint. Mine is 3-layer RM and want to keep the clarity of the paint. Is it a good idea to wrap all of the front and rockers and then maybe ceramic the rest? My concern is pulling it off years later. Thanks!

7. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    STEK is a different brand from Suntek which from my past experience did not hold up well and faded over time. For your car I would do the entire front end and any impact areas such as wheel wells and rockers. For what it costs to ceramic it might make sense to just wrap the car and never have to worry about it. Super easy to keep clean and protect the paint once the film is applied.

Solid State likes this.
  8. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Thank you. I'll discuss STEK and Glaswerks with the shop. I know most doing this are saying do the ceramic over PPF despite the films already have a thin layer of ceramic as top layer. I've heard costs of $9K for paint correction, PPF plus ceramic everywhere, and extra ceramic coats on wheels and calipers. On the other hand, Esoteric in Ohio advertises it starting at $9K also but maybe some interior detail added as well. I think a quality PPF install with correction might be $4-6K but just guessing now.

Gh21631 likes this.
  9. carz80am

carz80am Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2015
    Northern Virginia/DC
    When I was pricing out clear bra for full cars in the area, most were 6k-8k, just a fyi. I've tried numerous area installers and none have been perfect so I rather not recommend anyone...

Solid State likes this.
  10. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    6k to 8k is about right depending on the car. Add 3k to 4k for a paint correction but this isn't always needed as the film may hide some of the imperfections. It really depends on the car and how particular you are.

Solid State likes this.
  11. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    A higher cost than I expected but they did say the last one they did was $9K for the full service. Not a very smooth process making these decisions and I am grateful to those that have responded. :)

12. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Fair enough! Sometimes I feel the same way about other service providers.

13. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Suntek here and no issues.

Solid State likes this.