Ultimate Daily Driver | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Ultimate Daily Driver

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Spiderguy, Jul 14, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I was wondering if I was the only one thinking this (and Spiderguy)...

If you have the bucks, the Range Rovers look like the perfect complement to an exotic weekend car, and I'd be OK taking one out to a nice restaurant as well as the grocery store or on a freeway cruise. Also, you might be able to hitch a trailer to it and bring the Ferrari along to events.

The MINI looks great, except the trunk is wretched and the backseat is a contortionist event.

An M5 would work, as would a Mercedes CLK or CL, depending on your wallet. The German cars have minor service issues, but I've found the dealerships to be great. The driving fun is worth the minor inconvenience compared to the Lexus/Infiniti types of cars, IMO.

2. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    There's a difference between "egalitarianism" and "hiding in a crowd".

I'm utterly disgusted by the trend that "individualism is bad" that has been spreading around society.

This notion that all humans are identical interchangable components with no individual innate value seems, from my perspective, to stem from generations raised without the need to ever test their ability to overcome a challenge, so fall into "get by" mode, hiding out in the faceless multitude. "Failure is not an option" -- if you never try. *(1)

That's no way for a human to live.

But then, my career isn't based on "Original Spin", but requires tangible results.

Those who have a clue about the field can judge my work for themselves. How many people these days get to experience DIG syndrome? (When you look at what you've accomplished and say, "Damn I'm Good!") ;)

For those who resort to judging a book by its cover: Why would I care what they think?

But then, when a techie drives a Ferrari, people either figure he's good at what he does, or he's a workaholic -- either of which tend to be viewed as positive attributes. ;) (And, in my case, both tend to be accurate.)

So if you don't like the idea that I drive my Ferrari to work -- that would say more about you than it does about me.

I don't drive a Ferrari for it to "say" anything about me. I drive a Ferrari because anonyboxes just don't meet my standards. ("Drive" is a verb, not a gear.)

Okay, on 90+F days at traffic lights, the engine heat does tend to seep forward if I'm driving top-down. But I don't need to wear a tie on the commute.

*(1) I find the opposite Randist view equally simplistic. When someone is better at something, it just means that they're better .. at that one thing. Kimi is a world class race driver, but ask his wife if that makes him a "superior" husband. :p
    But too many people are content to not be good at anything -- as long as everyone is viewed as equally valueless.

3. Michael Schumacher

Apr 22, 2006
    For speed and exoticism plus and amazing engine: the McLaren Mercedes SLR. It has a huge trunk, Sat Nav, Comfortable interior but only 2 seats and it costs $$$$. If you want a bit cheaper then get the E60 M5 which is an amazing every day machine or if you wanted a cabriolet then you could get an Audi RS4 Conv.

4. ForzaMaranello

ForzaMaranello Karting

Jul 15, 2006
    Louisville CO.
    Full Name:
    Robert T
    I think any "M" car. Although, I really, really like my 06 Charger Daytona. Up until about 70MPH it stays right with our 86 TR, and after that it doesn't loose a whole lot.... Top speed is 145 Governor limited, 0-60 about 5.8, and I average 20 MPG the way I drive the car.

5. JMP

JMP Rookie

Jun 4, 2006
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    JP
    To me the answer to the question, which exotic is the best daily driver, is a no-brainer. I drive daily a Supercharged NSX (header, exhaust), the largest oem brakes made for the NSX (a later year then my car), Type-R/Zanardi suspesion (only 1/2" lowered -- remember daily driver), lightened flywheel/heftier clutch, Volks AV3 3-piece wheels with 285-35-18 rr & 215-40-17 fr and about 150 lbs shaved from the stock weight of 2950 lbs. I now have 60,000 miles on the car

I have 349 whp (400 crank hp) which gives about 7 lb/hp.

Much of my work-day is spent looking forward to leaving to go to a meeting. I drive it in stop and go traffic, occassionally on the track and then go out with my wife on weekends to dinner. I freely rev the car as hard as I wish and it never skips a beat.

With all due respect to the other great automobiles of the world, this all aluminum (except for the Titanium connecting rods!), hand-built, Honda is the best daily driver there is, bar none. These cars were under-powered and came with wimpy wheels/tires, but with modest performance enhancements, there is nothing more fun and reliable.

6. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I think the Lambo Diablo VT is the best daily driver...

OK, time out.

Seems like "exotic" and "daily driver" fit together about as well as "Enzo Hybrid". No doubt an NSX is a tougher car than, say, a 355, and the aluminum makes it the most exotic car in the Acura lineup. But I would guess your shopping at Home Depot would be limited to something like a four-pack of #4 machine screws and a quart of paint, a third passenger would be a "lap child" and luggage for two would be a squeeze on any trip to the airport.

Maybe the OP didn't phrase it right, but a daily driver (as opposed to a weekend sports car) probably ought to have 4 seats and a trunk, maybe even room for a child seat, if that's one of your hobbies.

7. bergxu

bergxu Formula 3

Aug 16, 2005
    OnTheSerpentMound
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    #82 bergxu, Jul 20, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. vur

vur Karting

May 9, 2006
    Full Name:
    Vur
    mmmm....E55 estate

9. [355]

[355] F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2006
    Spacious tent
    Full Name:
    Harold Faltermeyer
    ppl have some rather fanciful ideas of what makes for a 'daily driver'

and while im totally in support of driving a Ferrari/whatever as much as you can.....i wouldnt consider a Ferrari a "daily driver" as such

as outlined earlier, to me a daily needs to have practicality, style, and reliability

to this end....a 996TT dumped on 19" rims isnt.....as it wouldnt make it up any sort of angled driveway nor get over speed humps :p

as a daily, id love something like an Audi RS6 wagon.....or E500 Merc lowered a tad with some nice 19" rims

10. Ferrari330P4

Ferrari330P4 Formula Junior

Aug 4, 2005
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Karl
    RS4
    M5
    Bugatti Veyron >_>

11. Argento

Argento Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Argentium
    I have a an Audi S8 V10, but I'm seriously considering P/exing it for a Maserati Quattro-Porte, as good as the Audi is, it has no soul, not like an Italian car, It seems only Italians know how to transplant this feeling into machinery?

Argento

12. Rockefella

Rockefella Rookie

Jun 21, 2005
    Hard to limit it to just one.. I'd say:

1. Porsche 997 Turbo
    2. Merc. McL. SLR
    3. BMW M5
    4. Audi RS6 Estate

13. WealthBuildR

WealthBuildR Karting

Aug 11, 2005
    Seal Beach/Cypress
    Full Name:
    Wally Da Silva
    The new 2007 Volvo S80 or a 2002+ S80 executive edition. Safe, elegant, luxurious, beautiful, and audiodyne, dolby surround sound audio sytem which equates to the best factory audio system available.

14. Cicada

Cicada Formula 3

May 22, 2005
    Indian Wells, CA
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    My vote goes for an E60 M5

However, my Volvo R is nice, as well :)

15. Spiderguy

Spiderguy Formula Junior

May 21, 2006
    Full Name:
    Harry J
    I think that this is the crux of the question. The Daily Driver is all relative to each individual. As stated previously, it's all dependent upon the types of needs that you would have for a vehicle on a regular basis.

Some might have chauffeurs that drive them around and pick up their children and groceries for them. In that event, a Bugatti Veyron might be an appropriate DD for them.

Unfortunately, most people don't have that luxury. That's why I'm looking at something more practical. Thus far, the concensus seems to be M5 (M3), RS 6 (RS 4), E55, & Mini Cooper.

16. Challenge_Stradale

May 14, 2005
    NY
    Use my 997 S Cabriolet as my everyday. Except in snow where I use an suv. It's the ultmate everyday car imo. Even has the small seats in the back that are perfect for my 6 and 5 yr old kids. Drive it everyday from Long Island to Yonkers and it's great for runs to the beach w/ the wife and kids. This past Sunday went to Jones beach, top down, awesome. Has enough trunk space for a folding beach chair and a couple of bags. turbo cab which I have a deposit for will do the job w/ more speed and some all weather ability w/ the right tires. A lot depends on where you live, do you have winter weather.

FOR YOUR REQUIREMENTS:
    "daily driver that combines speed, handling, comfort, practicality and aesthetics? The car would be used to go to and from the office, pick up groceries and perhaps kids, and also be able to keep within shouting distance of an exotic."

THERE'S ONLY 1 IMO.

The 997 turbo cab is the swiss army knife of the sports car world. Top down 9 months of the year and all wheel drive the other 3 and will stick w/ or beat (especially in wet weather) any other car on the straights AND the twisties including a possible highway 30 mpg and all the creature comforts. Nothing can compare. Nothing else has it's combined everyday use & super car type abilities & seats 2+2 & looks so good or as safe doing it.

17. Spiderguy

Spiderguy Formula Junior

May 21, 2006
    Full Name:
    Harry J
    Yea, I totally concur. I used a 993 4S in the same fashion; the only problem for me was the bad roads where my office is. If not for all the flat tires, I would have kept it as a DD.

18. Bart

Bart Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Orange County, Calif
    Full Name:
    Bart
    The ulimate daily and/or freeway flyer is the 550. Mine has 63,000 miles on it and I love driving it on the So. Cal. freeways.

:)

12 cylinders or walk

19. Rival

Rival Formula Junior

May 12, 2005
    Misipi
    Not much "snob appeal," but for the price, it'd HAAAAARD to beat the all-wheel drive Subaru WRX STi (with rear wing delete, of course) It performs within a hair width of what many high-to-super performance cars do, but at a fraction of what they cost! It handles, stops, accelerates like nobody's business, etc.............and on top of that, the reports I've read say it's dead-solid reliable!

Again, not really an exotic pedigree in the eyes of the public (unless they're aware of its World Rally victories), but as a r e a l performance car at a HECK of a deal, the STi might be a car to consider....................

20. Minte

Minte Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2004
    Wisconsin
    #95 Minte, Jul 21, 2006
  21. Suspence

Suspence Formula Junior

May 6, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Spencer Berke
    One of my friends has a 240SX for Drift, and then his daily driver is a Turbo Is300 :D

22. JMP

JMP Rookie

Jun 4, 2006
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    JP
    I understand the comments about the term "daily driver" to include a trunk, 4 seats, etc. The respondent who said, it is a relative term, is probably most correct. To me, daily driver, means fits ones lifestyle to be used on a daily or almost literally daily basis, as primary but not only (ergo "daily" rather then "only" driver) mode of transport. It must be reliable/durable enough to deal with day to day trials and tribulations of diverse driving conditions. I bypass my airbag and drive my 4 year old to school in the NSX, then to work on highway, city, etc. conditions, and then go out with my wife. For trips to Home Depot we take her H2.

23. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Well, I'm single and I don't buy a lot of groceries, so I'm sticking to the Diablo as my practical daily driver.

24. RobertM

RobertM Formula 3

Apr 17, 2005
    Weston, Florida
    Full Name:
    Robert M
    #99 RobertM, Jul 22, 2006
    currently drive a E500 as the daily work horse = 90 miles round trip per day. The lease is up in approx. 11 months and then looking for a ???
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. Enthusiast

Enthusiast Rookie

Oct 18, 2004
    Wilmington
    Full Name:
    Kraig
    I would say a Phantom. But, on a more realistic note an E55 would make a nice daily.