Ultimate Daily Driver | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Ultimate Daily Driver

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Spiderguy, Jul 14, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Drove an M3 for the last two years as my DD.

Rain, sleet, snow, everything. It's gone, replaced with an Acura RL AWD.

M3 will do the job for you, just be sure to buy the 6 speed manual. Good sized trunk, workable back seat, as long as the kids aren't over 5'6", and great fun to drive. I grew weary of it , mostly because of the SMG.

DON'T GET THE SMG. If you like to row through the gears, get the stick. If you're looking for an automatic wanna be, or an F1 style tranny, the M3 SMG is a poor choice. Oh, and mine broke at 22,000 miles, no one at BMW seemed surprised at all.

Did I mention the SMG??? :D

DM

2. Spiderguy

Spiderguy Formula Junior

May 21, 2006
    Full Name:
    Harry J
    It's definitely interesting getting other people's perception of an "ultimate daily driver". The choice will obviously be dictated by factors such as wealth, location, nervousness, enjoyment from driving, etc. For a couple of people, a Bentley Flying Spur would be their choice. At $180,000 I would be just as nervous parking that at the mall as the F-car.

Bill drives his TR everywhere and that's awesome. I wish that I could be able to do that, but if you drove in San Francisco, that would last about a day. Parking and door dings aside, the potholes on the streets would drive you bonkers.

The Mini Cooper was a good suggestion, since it's great for getting around town and you wouldn't have to worry a bit about where you parked it. However, if I had to meet with a client, the Mini wouldn't be suitable for me.

I am most inclined to go with either the M3 or RS4. (M5 or RS6 if you need more space) Both of these have incredible performance with good practical use (4 seats and a real trunk). They both are not cheap at about $60K-$65K, but I could leave them in the parking lot and would worry considerably less than I would if I parked the F-car.

Good suggestions guys, keep em coming if you can think of something better.

3. F328 BobD

F328 BobD Formula 3

Mar 17, 2001
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    BobD
    Have to agree with several others here. The new M5 and M6 are getting rave reviews... 10 cylinder, 500 hp. 2 doors or 4 doors, take your pick.

4. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Speed Test Drive today with Tommy Kendall had Hans Stuck going 190 mph on the Autobahn in the M6.

5. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    My dad daily drives his 996tt. I think it's the best DD out there.

6. MY355

MY355 Formula Junior

Feb 4, 2004
    NYC and AZ

Mercedes S-500 OR COMPATIBLE IN A NEWER MODEL S-5.5/6.5
    AWSOME CARS.I love my Mercedes as far as practical costwise my smartest choice I've ever made.

MY355

7. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I guess i can't consider it "Ultimate" but I really enjoy driving my Dodge Hemi Pick-up... Red of course!

8. anawat

anawat Rookie

Oct 5, 2005
    Saratoga
    If I do have to pick just one, it's got to be the RS6. It's best all around, fun to drive and fit both of my kids in the back.

The spur is also nice, but it's on the large size.

996TT is the fastest of my DD, most fun to drive, it's just a tad small for the other duty.

I do drive my F cars to work from time to time though, but not as often.

Cool Cars that I don't have that may fit well for DD, in my favorite order.

- 997TT, of course
    - 612 with F1. This will in fact be a viable daily driver with usable kitty seats in the back.
    - Aston V8. Looks great, pretty fun to drive, still a couple notches less fun than the 911 though.
    - RS4, a bit small though. If AoA only bring the RS4 cab, I'll be game.
    - M6 Cab. 4 seat fast convertible.
    - S2000. I just love the high revving engine in this little car.

9. robin's308

robin's308 Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2006
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    John
    92 500e porsche handling, 4 doors, Fast!

10. Jsuit

Jsuit Formula 3

Jul 12, 2005
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    John
    "The Mini Cooper was a good suggestion, since it's great for getting around town and you wouldn't have to worry a bit about where you parked it. However, if I had to meet with a client, the Mini wouldn't be suitable for me."

I doubt anyone here listed the Mini Cooper S as a convient parker or to not worry about door dings.

Those who know, understand that the Cooper S is an amazing handling performance car with exceptional build quality.

I have owned many BMW's including their flagship 850CSI (1 of 225) in the U.S. And the build quality of the interior of the Mini Cooper S Cabrio, far exceeds the BMWs I have Owned.

I also own an Audi A8 as a daily driver, which is just an outstanding machine in almost everyway, but I find myself driving the mini more and more. The Mini is very, very fun to drive.

As far as clients, I guess it depends on the ego of your clients, but one thing is for sure, the mini says "you yourself are confident" And it is always an instant conversation piece.

11. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    Yugo or '75 AMC Pacer, if you want style and to impress the ladies upgrade to a '76 Matador

12. NYC123

NYC123 Formula Junior

Jul 15, 2006
    My current daily is a sl55 modified by brabus an carlson but the best daily river I have ever had was my 2003 audi rs6 .

13. wthenry

wthenry Karting

Jul 16, 2006
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    William Thomas Henry
  14. braincuttermd

braincuttermd Karting

May 6, 2004
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Mike
    997 is a great daily driver, more so than the 996 or the 993. My sister has the Cayenne S a la soccer mom guise. It's a great daily driver, but gets poor gas mileage.

Any Mercedes with a V8 or their AMG models are great daily drivers. There is no substitute for the bank vault feeling of a Benz. I've only owned their coupes in regular and AMG guise, but friends and family have owned sedans and roadsters from them, all are very good. I like the CLS, CLK and SL lines. If you buy an AMG, don't buy brand spanking new, but a nice second hand one with low miles or a demo. You won't have to take the stiff depriciation hit of a new AMG.

I haven't owned a BMW since 1992, but the new M5 looks like a good daily driver.

15. KenU

KenU Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Just picked up a new black/black Range Rover Supercharged and am very impressed with this vehicle. Not only very attractive-looking but the 400hp engine is a real plus to get some "performance" out of an over 2 and a 1/2 ton vehicle. Unfortunately, as with all higher end cars, I must respect the break-in period in not exceeding 3k RPMS/70mph for the next 500 miles as called for in the manual. Interestingly, the dealer told me to hold that limit for the first 1,500 miles. He specified the Supercharger requires that, although nowhere is that mentioned in the manual.

Looks like the wife will be manning the helm of the above vehicle as soon as my '07 Audi S8 comes in September as MY DD, just in time for some spirited upcoming winter driving!!!!

16. ItaliaF1

ItaliaF1 F1 Veteran

Aug 28, 2005
    Nashville,TN
    Full Name:
    John Burrow
    For me, it would definately be an E60 M5. The daily commute would be amazing .

17. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    Don't hold your breath. ;)

18. isellpower

isellpower Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Jason

Costs too much to have a tow truck follow you around.

19. wthenry

wthenry Karting

Jul 16, 2006
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    William Thomas Henry
    haha thats funny

20. Red4RECAT

Red4RECAT Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2006
    MD
    Full Name:
    Cyndi T
    #70 Red4RECAT, Jul 18, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Actually around here, I see a Lotus Esprit all the time. A friend of mine/ neighbor has 4...yes 4 AND an Elise. He also has a few old racer's too. (some mg's also).
    This Esprit in this picture used to be Paul Newman's:
    Also look at my website at the "locals" around here...quite interesting what's hidden in garages!
    http://ourred4re.tripod.com/id10.html
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. Steponit

Steponit Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 13, 2006
    Bay Area
    Braincutter, those look like good choices. I like the 997. Why do you think that it's a better DD than the 996 and 993?

22. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Its hard to beat an M5...it is as fast as and handles as well as most exotics and sports cars,has sufficient luxury to haul clients, is very well built and reliable, not too expensive to buy and own, looks good and has room for 5...if you don't need that much room an M3 is almost as good....

23. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    I'm sorry, but I totally disagree on the Porsche's, Lotuses (Loti), and other two seaters. Fun, fast, but not practical, I'm sorry to say. I've had 911 Turbo's, Lotus Esprit SE's, 348's, BBi's, Stradales, Barchetta's and whatever else seemed hot to me at the time.

When someone says "daily driver", I think of something that must be usable in stop and go traffic as well as on the open road, comfortable in 100+ degree heat or 5 degree winters, roomy enough to haul groceries, kids or co-workers, and stylish and powerful enough to keep my interest. Moreover, some will desire more fuel efficiency and lower maintenance costs. It just makes me wonder where some of these suggestions come from.

Sure, even though they're impractical, it's fun to drive an exotic as a daily driver (and I drove my Esprit SE to work years ago and my Father his Ferraris), but consider what message you're sending to your employees, customers and other business associates. Perhaps blending in a little isn't a bad thing. Should it matter? No, but it does. I got the same treatment when I went to Wall Street and didn't want to wear Brooks Brothers suits and Hermes ties. And, god forbid if you ever had a folded handkerchief in your pocket. You'd be labeled a "dandy" (or worse) and eyebrows would raise. Your choice of car may say more about you, outwardly, to people you don't know than anything else. Even those you do. So, choose wisely.

Of course, there are those who don't need to be sensitive to these issues and can, and do, brush them off. Or maybe they just don't care. Either way, the next mope who suggests a Lamborghini, McLaren or Ferrari (even though it IS FerrariChat) as a daily driver gets an eye roll from me! Sorry.

CW

24. Spiderguy

Spiderguy Formula Junior

May 21, 2006
    Full Name:
    Harry J
    CW, I have to concur with just about everything that you said. I've used a 911, Boxster, and a 360 (test) as a daily driver and have encountered many of the inconveniences that you've stated. That's why I think that my next DD will be something like an M3, RS4 or equivalent.

The only think I wanted to add to your post is that the DD will be very different for everyone based upon their lifestyle, location, traits, etc. For example, the Porsche TT might be suitable for someone single, retired and living in a desolate area where parking might be spacious.

25. migg48

migg48 Karting

Jul 7, 2006
    There are a lot of great choices, and obvious ones as well. Just to throw out an oddball, but very fun car---a 2001 or 2002 BMW M Roadster (or coupe, for that matter). 315 hp and the size of a shoe. Really a fun ride.

md.moore
    newport beach, ca