458 - Two ECU | FerrariChat

458 Two ECU

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Live2win, May 10, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Live2win

Live2win Karting

Sep 27, 2019
    Pasadena MD
    Full Name:
    David perkins
    Tech ? I was told by Ferrari that my 2012. Has two ECUs .

any idea if one controls four cylinders and the other one controls the other 4?

or is one called an ECU when in fact it has nothing to do with engine ?

thanks

2. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Most Ferraris (and modern cars) have a lot of ECU's and sub-ECU's, all of which communicate over a network.

ECU is sort of a genetic term.

Usually there is a main ECU for the engine management and then sub ECU's which communicate over the CAN bus network. Here's some info you might find helpful:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAN_bus

If your car was made back in the 90's, then yes, it might have only a single ECU. These days, cars have many ECU's. Even my 1997 Ferrari 355 had multiple ECU's - all of which seemed to like to act up at times haha :)

Ray

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  3. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    The nomenclature is not consistent but ECU typically means Electronic Control Unit. A modern luxury car can have 150 ECUs. Hundreds of millions of line of code. Many engines have two ECMs (Engine Control Modules) one for each bank of cylinders.

Caeruleus11 and WLFerrari like this.
  4. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Sometimes they call them ECM's also (Electronic or Engine Control Module).

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  5. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin

As has been stated above, modern cars have many electronic control modules. In this case however, I think that you are talking about the engine ecu's, of which there are indeed 2. One to control each bank on 4 cylinders. Ferrari have used dual engine ecu's for over 30 years now; it allows them to buy cheap readily available Bosch ecu's that are only able to handle up to 6 cylinders on their own. One ecu acts as a master, and the other a slave - this is what you will see if you ever connect your car to an OBD diagnostic system, as you can talk to each ecu separately.

Solid State likes this.
  6. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I think even F40 has 2 ECUs...

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat