Twin turbo Ferrari F12 - By Excell Racing & Excell Auto Group | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Twin turbo Ferrari F12 - By Excell Racing & Excell Auto Group

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by excellautogroup, Dec 13, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Highlighted part shows why I always chuckle at projects like these. Unless straightlining is ones' only interest, what's the point in adding so much more power than the chassis can handle anyways? Bragging rights? And if straightlining was the only interest...start with a 4wd car so at least the power can be put down <120mph.

For cars like the F12, if you want to go faster, add lightness:
    Dry carbon body panels
    Carbon racing seats from 458 challenge
    SKF bearings from challenge car
    centerlock wheels
    titanium exhaust
    lithium battery

I'm sure a good 150kg would be saved already just from the above. With the weight added with going twin turbo, that adds an easy 100kg if not more. I'd be willing to bet that the lightened F12 would be a) more enjoyable to drive b) go faster round a track c) wouldn't that far behind on a half mile drag race.

rossodino, Napoli and ANOpax like this.
  2. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Take one look at the owner of the car and you’ll know whether his life philosophy is to add lightness or more horsepower.

350MH83, titanio360, Bobby_P and 2 others like this.
  3. Ale55andr0

Ale55andr0 Karting

May 23, 2019
    Shame that ferrari hasn't done it yet. Yes, I'm serius, performance first of all. A twin turbo v12 Ferrari would be simply imperious, glorious, unrelenting, it would make tremble your wrists

titanio360 likes this.
  4. Ale55andr0

Ale55andr0 Karting

May 23, 2019
    #29 Ale55andr0, Mar 21, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2021

yes, and they did (it) very well ;P

yes, and you barely drop a few tenths in the 0-200 and hardly beaten by the usual mclaren v8 :D

...if you want to go really fast (on track I mean, mainly) "in purist Ferrari religious mode", weight factor aside, a v12 Ferrari shouldn't be a front-engined GT car..

5. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Not to mention whether or not bragging rights are part of his lifestyle.

It could also be to compensate. When people do a ton of steroids, their balls shrivel down to little raisins, so this is basically a sock in his pants.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    Another infomercial. :eek:

7. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    Priceless.

titanio360 and ANOpax like this.
  8. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    Diuretics and 'Roids.

ChipG and ANOpax like this.
  9. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Also whether he's a mensa member or not

Napoli likes this.
  10. Altoria F

Altoria F Formula Junior

Jan 24, 2020
    France
    Full Name:
    P
    #35 Altoria F, Mar 21, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
    Accel times are not all, that's sure such a turboed 6,3 V12 could put up to 2000hp with lowered CR and all the stuff, but as UGR lambos, totally unusefull. (Good at 200-400, cool...)
    I tried several setups and it is useless to put power you can't transmit on the road.
    >1500hp UGR Lambos "justify" their power above 200kph in straight line, no fun before: they still slip above 150kph...
    Imho the sweet spot in speed for fun is 50 to 250kph, and 1000hp even with 4rwd and sticky tires is already much; while you fight with the torque and grip the half powered well balanced cars turn around you on the track.
    A nice N/A engine as this great V12 will give same or more pleasure with less power, what is the most important?!
    GTR and Porsche are the platform for those builts, not Fcars.

11. titanio360

titanio360 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 18, 2013
    Great feedback. I do know that the owner had a 458 many years ago, loved it and then bought an Aventador and did not like it at all in comparison to the Ferrari. That's when he got the F12.

As far as the Trans and halfshafts, those also have been strengthened. To my knowledge, the clutches were replaced with upgraded aftermarket units, the trans software was tuned (there are possibly other trans mods I'm just not aware of) and the halfshafts were definitely replaced with stronger units custom made for this build. I also believe there are additional fueling, oil and cooling upgrades included in the build. I don't know the specs on these components. The builder Excell would have to chime in with specs/details.

As far as the "bomb waiting to go off", 5 psi seems rather safe/mild, but under the boost those huge Garrett turbos are capable of, you could definitely put enough boost through it to bend or crack some internals if you make a mistake in the tuning.

I definitely agree that Turbocharging/modifying a car always has tradeoffs. I'll reserve judgment on if it drives better or worse having not driven it or gone for a ride. If you ask me, the large wheels probably do more to hurt the drivability than the turbo.

12. titanio360

titanio360 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 18, 2013
    If you think this is "ruined forever," don't google search F12 crash. I can only imagine how ruined you think those cars are... https://www.google.com/search?q=f12+crash&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwjkybeImMXvAhXGSawKHS2DCdAQ2-cCegQIABAA

But seriously, I totally understand this point of view. Ferrari's are pretty much perfection the day they leave the factory... If they are spec'd right of course!

13. titanio360

titanio360 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 18, 2013
    I just love the sound of straight cut gears! I bet you're Porsche was/is sick! To me, the ONLY Porsche I would ever want is the 911 Turbo. Everything else from Stuttgart just doesn't do it for me.

14. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    The sound is a lot better than expected, to be honest.

But as said above, the F12 chassis was already known to be on the limit with stock power, and Ferrari had to stop using those Getrag gearboxes because couldn´t deal with the 1000 hp of the SF90, so probably turbocharging this car is going too far.

titanio360 likes this.
  15. Altoria F

Altoria F Formula Junior

Jan 24, 2020
    France
    Full Name:
    P
    Gearbox is from Bill Rader (LasVegas).
    Vbox times are 100-200: 3,8' best, repetable 4' and 100-300: 11,5' to 12'.
    It was my favorite toy, still got it but discovered the Fcar magic with my FF and will probably pair it with a 2 seats soon.

ANOpax and titanio360 like this.
  16. titanio360

titanio360 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 18, 2013
    That 911 turbo sounds like a real monster with times like that! FF's are just awesome too! Sounds like you never have a dull commute.

17. titanio360

titanio360 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 18, 2013
    The SF90 is electrified so the torque delivery and general demands on the gearbox are not the same. For instance, the SF90 uses electric only for reverse. You may be right about the Getrag's limitations, but I can't leap to that conclusion based on the brand new, electrified, midengined and twin turbocharged SF90 not using it.

18. Altoria F

Altoria F Formula Junior

Jan 24, 2020
    France
    Full Name:
    P
    Amazing week end toys, yes.
    But my daily is a van... "work hard/play hard"!

19. JasonN

JasonN Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Jason
    What a meathead and it seems he is in some serious legal trouble. Hats off to the shop for figuring this out and getting it to run right. My 812 already has too much power. Don't need no stinkin turbos for more!

italiafan likes this.