TSN/JV's angry take on MS legacy | FerrariChat

TSN/JV's angry take on MS legacy

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by RocketBoy, Aug 17, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Professor Hajji
  2. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    Such great legacy ... such great heritage... so much promised... so little delivered!

I had really hoped that one day I would see him racing for Ferrari just like his father.
    It would have been a story for the ages... but Jacques just did not cut it.

3. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Interesting point of view JV has, one I'm not so sure I agree with. Of course, only time will tell. But I have felt that, over the years and through his professional decline, Jacques has become less of a racer and more of a cynical baby. It will be interesting to see if the interviewer asked Jacques whether he thinks anyone will remember him at all and, if so, in what way?

4. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Sour grapes from a driver who got unceremoniously sacked.

Stating that MS will be forgotton once he retires is just plain stupid. The man holds almost all the records and will be the measuring stick for everybody else to follow.

Just like for decades every time a champion became a multiple champion, the next line you'd hear/read was that Fangio had 5 titles. It'll be the same thing with MS. Forever they will enumerate his titles, pole positions and wins.

If anybody will be forgotten, it would be Jacques.

5. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    JV was a World Champion. I don't care if he was in a great car. He won the WC and that can never be taken away from. I think JV would have continued to be competitive if he didn't go to BAR. He went to BAR, got paid a ton of cash and the car was not competitive. This year JV did better than most expected. I think he has a decent legacy.

JV comments about Schumacher were not necessary but understandable due to his relationship with him. However I do not agree with JV's comments. I think Michael will be remembered as a great race car driver.

6. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    "Michael simply isn't a great champion because he's played too many dirty tricks and because he isn't a great human being,"

Hard to argue with that point. MS will of course be remembered based on his stats and record. But he will never be remembered as guys like Clark or Fangio were. Once upon a time drivers were only heros if they were also gentlemen. MS is no gentleman. He is a cheat.

Terry

7. ApeGen

ApeGen Formula 3
    Owner

Jun 3, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I don't recall Hill saying something on such a personal level.
    So no, I don't think it's understandable. It's way over the line.

him talking about class... what a joke.

8. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    Bah!!! JV...a minor footnote in F-1 history.

9. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    True dat, also he was runnner up in his first season and bought a bit of exitement to the sport by daring to take the chance to overtake. I fully agree about him not being in a competitive car. I think had he been in a god car he would have been a force to be reconed with. But alas ya make certain choices in life, some good some bad.

10. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003

But if what is to beleved about Enzo Ferrari him self, he was a win at all cost man while running his racing teams. Using and treading over anyone in his way. IMO NS is doing what Enzo did.
    The same cheating argument can be said of the world cup football champions, dive dive dive:D But a win is a win, and thats racing IMO.

11. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    I meant to say that I understood JV talking badly about Michael because of their past run ins over the years. Michael almost cost JV a world championship by driving recklessly.

12. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Ferme ta bouche Jacques !

13. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    At least JV didn't win his championship by chopping peoples' noses off at the start of races, and trying to punt them off the track.

14. Koby

Koby Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    The Borough, NJ
    Full Name:
    Jason Kobies
    Let's just hope JV is remembered for his racing and NOT for his singing.

15. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002

Uhhhh so because Enzo was an egotistical self centered jerk thats justification for Michael to act as he has? I dont buy that. Enzo was what he was and yes that frequently meant he walked all over anyone he could if they were in his way. He was clearly not beyond manipulating drivers, team members and even race organizers if it served his purpose. But of all the negative things I have read about Enzo Ferrari, I dont recall reading anything about him urging drivers to flat out cheat on track to the point of putting people in danger. That is Michaels MO, and frankly its just pathetic.

Reading about greats like Fangio and then comparing them to MS, it sure makes Michael look pretty terrible.

As for JV.... he is a WC, he won Indy, he won the CART championship... and then he opted out of fighting for wins in exchange for HUGE checks. Oh well, I hope all that money lasts a long time. Still, back in '97.... he was among the very best in the world.

Terry

16. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Er yes he was, he was also arrogant. And maybe you didnt read about him urging drivers...in public. Just as we never heard or read what he said to Niky Lauder to make him race some 5 weeks after his big accident when the world knew he sould not have.
    May be we should stop painting Enzo with such a rosey tint;)

17. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    "If BMW plan to win races in 2007 then they absolutely should have kept me," he tells the German publication Bild.

yea right. for an @$$hole who crashed into his own teammate, a former world champion, who is giving **** comments like MS won't be remembered. common, IMO, JV will be remembered because of gilles. nothing else.....oh yea...mebbe for crashing himself into his own teammate in what he describe as a ' chance to overtake '. u are the one that won't be remembered JV, not MS.

18. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    Contrary to what is widely reported as Collins "gracefully" handing over his car to Fangio, at his expense (he may have won the title himself), there were accounts from pitcrew members that Fangio told Collins "..to get out of the car and grab a cup of coffee...."

Not sure how gentlemanly that is ?

19. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis

Gentlemantly, no. Funny? Yes... Who knows if he actually said that though.

About JV's comments, i can see why he is so upset at MS but frankly there is some truth to what he's saying. As far as being forgotten, that i doubt, the man is great, but he well never really be as loved as Senna, Or Prost etc. Some of the tactics he's used throughout his career have soured many people towards him. As a few people have pointed out, he seems to never admit to a mistake. Anyway it's one man's opinion. He may or may not be right.

20. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    Damon Hill ?

21. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    On devrait plutôt dire: "ferme ta crisse de geule!!!"

22. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Sour Grapes indeed. I wish JV would now just bow out gracefully. As far as his comments against MS, although there might be some truth, the guy will always be remembered as one of the Greats (regardless of his antics) and I don't think his records will ever be broken.

23. dfrace

dfrace Karting

May 6, 2006
    Alabama
    Full Name:
    Darren
    I continue to be amazed at the aura surrounding the memory of Gilles. JV mentioned the James Dean factor -- with all due respect, he could have said the Gilles Villeneuve factor.

I have even seen it repeated here already, that JV was a disappointment in his fathers footsteps. How can that be with 11 wins, including a WC, an Indy 500, and a Champ car title. Compare that with Gillles 6 wins and no title. I do not understand the negative comparisons to his father.

I don't want to seem like I am beating on Gilles, I have the upmost respect for anyone competing at a professional level, but I believe some people need to remove the rossa colored glasses.

24. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    While I agree on your statement about the pink glasses, let me help you put it in perspective:
    - Gilles could have easily won the title that went to Scheckter, but being a gentleman he didn't. They had an agreement, that this was Jody's year and Gilles respected that (hard to believe from today's cynic world).
    - In all likelihood Gilles would have won the 82 title, had he not been killed. He would have also won a bunch more races (also assuming Pironi wouldn't have been the traitor he was).
    - Enzo loved Gilles as his son. Very few (if any) driver got that close to the Commendatore's heart.
    - The Tifosi loved Gilles for he was a fighter. To him it was all or nothing. Not necessarily the best strategy to win a title, but certainly entertaining.

In short Gilles' life and racing was filled with passion. Too much passion that it cost him his life. Jacques' career looked similar in the beginning, but fizzled after he clinched the title. Then we saw the watered down years and that's what taints his legacy.

You're right about the James Dean factor. But boy what a life he had until that Saturday afternoon in Zolder.

25. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    I liked both of the last posts:D