Truck trouble(s) | FerrariChat

Truck trouble(s)

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by otaku, Aug 18, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. otaku

otaku Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Boise,Idaho
    Full Name:
    Josh
    Ok so I recently inherited my first car its a 92 dodge dakota given to me by my grandfather who is the original owner he bought it new and kept it. Has 107,000 on it and well is in not so great shape. First off it needs a paint job- any recommendations on doing this myself or..? Also most importantly the oil pressure is just barely in the safe zone and the A/c and heater and stereo all aren't working! What should I do and most importantly what will it cost me? I may just leave it but would like to fix it up.

2. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Change the oil. Depending on how long its been in there, the viscosity could be all over the charts and result in lower oil pressure readings as it thickens up.

Change the transmission fluid, diff fluid, brake fluid, and coolant.

Fuses could be why the A/C, heater, and stereo are all not functional. Usually you have blower/fan control seperate from the A/C and heater functions so make sure those work or else its likely a dash out repair.

Read up on the maintenance intervals on Dodge forums and make sure to check out as much as you can from that list on your own. Items like brakes, fluids, and plugs are general maintenance items and very easy to do yourself that you will pay a lot more money to have someone else do it.

With $500 well spent, you should have a truck much better off to last you to 200k miles. Adding $2,500 stereo system is optional. LOL!

Good luck,
    Sunny

3. bretm

bretm F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2001
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    Bret
    Dude, it's free. Drive it and who cares. I would hold off on paint (it still has paint on it, right?) until it is mechanically sound. People underestimate the excellence of having a daily car that you just don't have to care about it door dings, scratches, etc. It kicks ass, you can park in the middle of Newark and not worry.

What Jag said, and...

BUY A CHILTON'S MANUAL, you'll find all the wiring and vacuum diagrams, and a bunch of mechanical advice.

Get a test light and start going through the electrics with your chilton's at your side. Start at the fusebox.

Check the gauge and pressure sensor. Does the gauge move when you rev the gas (don't go not insane here)? Pull the wire off the sensor and see if the gauge maxes out b/c no resistance. If the gauge probably works, then go get a sending unit (~$30) and put it in. You probably don't have an oil pressure problem, and even if you do, what difference does it make b/c you probably have to rebuild the engine to correct it, or at the very least put in a new oil pump.

Just drive it, pay attention, and start learning how to work on it yourself.

4. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    some of the best advice right here. reminds me of my $30 auction buy on a 76' 240dl volvo estate. chocolate brown with limo tinted windows. it had been smacked from behind while in 1st so 1st was sketchy at best but i managed putting on another 100k with out touching the motor. it would frequently run dry i.e. no water or oil but keep pluging along with out a hicup. man i miss that beater. lent it to a frend who parked it in as tow zone and well you can guess the rest, it had well over 300k on it. probably still going...

keep it till it don't run anymore, A. it's free and B. you'll always need a beater...

5. otaku

otaku Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Boise,Idaho
    Full Name:
    Josh
    Well I don't care to much about A/c and even the paint (which is peeling off pretty bad) are no big deal just worried about the oil pressure problem. I've taken the dash off and checked fuses. No fuse problems I think its something far more complicated and electrical in the dash somewhere. I'm pretty sure its been taken care of in terms of fluids/oil but I will look into that