Troubleshooting a trunk that won't open!! | FerrariChat

Troubleshooting a trunk that won't open!!

Discussion in '612/599' started by wolfturbo, Dec 5, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wolfturbo

wolfturbo Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2005
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Rob W.
    On my recently acquired 599, the PO told me that occasionally the trunk won't open when you either push the button on the door sill or the key. Lo and behold, this immediately started happening and as a result, I have become quite familiar with pulling on the little loop right underneath the center rear console.

However, when I drive the 599 I typically need trunk access for either my gym bag or briefcase, so I'd like to sort this out.

I noticed that fuse F38 in the driver's side footwell panel is a 15A fuse that seems to be dedicated to the rear boot motor. I was hoping it might have been burned out, but it wasn't.

Anybody know what else I should be looking for? Is there a relay, or perhaps a motor that is known to burn out?

Note that mine won't open with either the key or the button in the car, whether or not the car is on. Also note that there is no noise when I push either button (i.e. you can't hear a motor trying to open the trunk - there's just no noise).

OK, I'm all ears if the smart guys can chime in with some good troubleshooting tips!

Regardless, today will be a good day. Get to put my cat bypass pipes on in a few hours!!!

Wolf

2. Clembo

Clembo Formula Junior

My car is a 2009, and recently developed the same issue. I have no idea why, but hopefully somebody can help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    Circuit contains a switch, a relay, wiring, and a motor. I don't have the workshop manual for the 599 but the relay is likely in the trunk (ironically).

4. MoeD

MoeD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 1, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Moe D
    Try locking and unlocking the car 3 times and then try the trunk

That's what my dealer told me when it happened on my 612- some sort of reset procedure

WadeP, rampante550 and Rex71 like this.
  5. Camlet1

Camlet1 Formula 3

May 3, 2014
    UK
    My old GTB use to have this gremlin. It also had a habit of telling me my engine was faulty, which it wasn't. In both cases I had to occasionally reboot the car by going into the boot (trunk as you call it) and turning the switch which cut all power to the car. Leave the car a good few minutes then power up. Usually worked. Never try and close the doors after you've switched off power as the windows don't drop. As you probably know already the emergency trunk release is hidden under the tray which sits between the seats if you're ever caught out.

6. Patrnflyr

Patrnflyr Karting

Jan 23, 2012
    Lubbock, TX
    Make sure you have your radio code before you do above procedure

7. ChesterOne

ChesterOne Rookie

Jan 12, 2011
    Check your battery. Mine did the same and put a new battery in and the problem immediately went away. Not sure why but it works great now and never been a problem since.

8. Toddston

Toddston Karting

Nov 29, 2006
    New York, NY
    If your key doesn't work in addition to the switch then it is probably the relay. Replacing my switch solved it (around $250.00). Thank you, Miller Motorcars.

9. ferrarista550

ferrarista550 Karting

Jan 6, 2011
    Torrance, Calif.
    Full Name:
    Mike Dwyer
    The trunk release stopped working in my 599 also. The fuse is OK . . which relay is it?

10. Roupin

Roupin Formula 3

Oct 7, 2013
    Encino
    Full Name:
    Roupin
    The switch is $46 new from eurospares in UK. I just bought one for my car.

11. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    My car is doing it now. Owned it since new and an'07. Never had a problem now I can't open it. I'm gonna try the reset thing.

12. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    The lock and unlock thing 3x worked for me. I'm in. Thanks for the tip.

13. Clembo

Clembo Formula Junior

Thanks guys. The Lock & Unlock trick worked.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14. StickBreitling

StickBreitling Formula Junior

Oct 12, 2012
    Happened to my 612. The reset procedure didn't work. In the end I took it to the dealer who reset it using the SD3 - free of charge luckily.

15. Wieslaw 599

Wieslaw 599 Rookie

Jan 17, 2019
    Full Name:
    Wieslaw Chmielewski
    I have the same problem, in garage (car stay opened) openning boot from RC pilot or button not a problem, when I go to office and leave a car for a few hours opening a boot is not possible. I will try method 3x on and off.

16. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Is there a servo relay in the trunk to open it? I have a similar issue on my 355 gas lid. I can hear the relay click however nothing opens. Apparently the internal parts in the relay stick and the simple fix was a squirt of WD40 into the servo. Opens every time now.

17. Wieslaw 599

Wieslaw 599 Rookie

Jan 17, 2019
    Full Name:
    Wieslaw Chmielewski
    yes, WD40 will help with your case, but in my case there is not any relay sound/click. I think it is electronic problem. Tomorrow, my 599 will visit service, maybe they will find a reason.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

599_GTO likes this.
  18. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

What was the outcome of this?

19. Wieslaw 599

Wieslaw 599 Rookie

Jan 17, 2019
    Full Name:
    Wieslaw Chmielewski
    Service told everything perfect, no errors on computer, they don't know what's going on. It happens when car is closed, I will leave one day opened car and will see.

20. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I did the lock - unlock trick 3 times and now it's good again.

21. Wieslaw 599

Wieslaw 599 Rookie

Jan 17, 2019
    Full Name:
    Wieslaw Chmielewski
    The problem is over. I have bought a new key card code in Ferrari service then they changed code and now no problem with trunk opening.

22. ERIC ANDERSON

ERIC ANDERSON Rookie

May 3, 2020
    Cleveland, OH
    Full Name:
    Eric Anderson
    Others might find this helpful... I followed the reset process for my F12 and it solved the problem of the rear hatch not opening.

23. rmfurzeland

rmfurzeland Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron Furzeland
    Thrice lock/unlock worked for me.

24. smashersmith

smashersmith Rookie

Dec 2, 2017
    westcountry uk
    Full Name:
    joe
    Hi
    it just worked for me too, big thanks because I have been wondering what would cause it for weeks