Tracking an 812 Superfast | FerrariChat

Tracking an 812 Superfast

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by Scuderia Ty;er, Dec 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Scuderia Ty;er

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Eric Tyler
    Hey Everyone,

I am new on here and I am possibly looking at getting a 2019 812 Superfast (I love the look and the N/A V12 and this maybe the last non-hybrid V12 that Ferrari ever makes).

I would like to drive the car on at least some decent weather days but also I like to take the 812 Superfast to some track days. Has anyone here every tracked or know someone that has tracked an 812 Superfast?

I am curious to see some feed back to see if it handles like a boat due to the length and weight of the car.

daytona355 and Manda racing like this.
  2. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I only had a few laps testing a 812 at Spa - so I was not really pushing, however I think it really does a very good job (the claim by Ferrari that it laps Fiorano in the same time as a Pista might be slightly far fetched though).
    The power is immense, and the rear wheel steering is a magic enhancement for agility.
    The weight is not really felt, my guess is that it will take toll on the brakes and tyres but that's all about it.

daytona355 and Caeruleus11 like this.
  3. carlom001

carlom001 Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2010
    812 is very enjoyable on the track, a little roll and you can feel the engine weight up front compared to a 488 but it is very very good, and very fast. Engine sound is better than F1 and any other car by miles. Only recommendation is to upgrade the tires to Pirelli Corsas as the standard Zero tires starts to lose grip after several laps, otherwise just make sure you have regular cool down laps

4. MarkTodd

MarkTodd Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 3, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I got to track the 812 at Fiorano through the Corsa Pilota Evolution Course. It's an incredible car, but on a track it's size and weight stand out. carlom001 mentioned it's body roll and I would agree. You will have a great experience on the track, but its a GT car for sure. Better on a beautiful open road!

5. Speed and Angels

Silver Subscribed

Dec 24, 2015
    Dallas, TX
    Agree with the above, I drove the 812 back to back with the 488 at COTA for two days at the Corsa Pilota course. The 812 was a little faster but the 488 was more precise. If you are mainly going to track the car you have better options than the 812, GT3RS, GT2RS, Pista, 488 GTB, even a manual ZR1. If you want one of the best GT cars ever, that can hang with and then some, all of the above at the track the 812 is a great choice.

6. gowthamn

gowthamn Karting

Jan 21, 2019
    How do you compare Porsche's GT3 RS with 488?
    Also, what about track only cars like Porsche GT3 Cup and 488 Challenge?
    For the road I like Ferrari. But for the track I am not sure as I have only driven Porsche on the track.
    Sent from my SM-G975U1 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

daytona355 likes this.
  7. Speed and Angels

Silver Subscribed

Dec 24, 2015
    Dallas, TX
    For the price the GT3 RS is probably the best bargain out there for the track (a bargain is relative and we are on Ferrari chat ). Go to an Edge Addicts event at COTA and you will see a couple dozen of them, almost all of them are pretty fast. If you buy a GT3 RS the front lift option is an absolute must.

Similar tires and driver I believe the 488 is faster around the track, mostly due to the extra HP. The GT3 RS is a more raw experience but only because the 488 is so comfortable.

Cup and Challenge cars are a completely different subject and probably worth searching here for people that have that experience, the cost of the cars look pretty attractive until you research the cost to run one.

Bottom line - if you have the means go buy the 488 GTB (or a GT2RS or a Pista), if you regularly track it don’t forget to budget $10,000 to $20,000 for tires and brakes.

8. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Looks pretty impressive ,or dare i say awesome?

Thecadster likes this.
  9. Speed and Angels

Silver Subscribed

Dec 24, 2015
    Dallas, TX
    I agree amazing car!

The same guy (Christian Gebhardt) was 6 seconds faster in the 488, 14 seconds faster in a Corvette Z06, 22 seconds faster in a GT3RS and 27 seconds faster in a Pista.

I own a V12 Ferrari (599) and I don’t think I will ever sell it. I have a different track car.

Thecadster likes this.
  10. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    #10 Ferrari 308 GTB, Jan 22, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    7.00.03 in the Pista. Hope he will be doing the F8 soon,bit slower but by how much?

720 s did 7.08 can F8 beat that?

11. Speed and Angels

Silver Subscribed

Dec 24, 2015
    Dallas, TX
    I thInk you are spot on, I drove the F8 after driving the Pista. If there is 20 seconds between the 488 GTB and the Pista, the F8, in my humble opinion will be closer to the Pista than the 488 around the track.

12. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Ferrari claims the 812 is as fast as a Pista around Fiorano, but on the Nurburgring with the same driver it's not even as fast as a regular 488...
    This raises some questions on the credibility of Ferrari's claims IMHO.
    A side question is, which tyres were used for the 488 GTB on the Nurburgring? if the attempt was formally endorsed by Ferrari, it would have been with the higher performance Michelin PSC2 (which were however not homologated for the GTB at the time), but if it's with the standard PSS (or Pirelli PZero) the 488 GTB is certainly able to do better.
    The F8 officially supports the PSC2 (even the R I think) homologated for the Pista, so it will not have any tyre penalty.
    The Pista is lighter and has better downforce than the F8 so it will be faster in any case, the question is by how much.

Manda racing likes this.
  13. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    ring time might be adversely effected by 812 weight. tires can get over heated due to weight etc on a long lap over 7 min. regular race track time of single lap would probably be fine for 1 to 2 minutes. but that tells you plenty if you plan on tracking for a weekend in 812. bring extra tires

Manda racing likes this.