TR: How do you guys keep the floor mats from bunch forward? | FerrariChat

TR: How do you guys keep the floor mats from bunch forward?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by xplodee, Jul 25, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Hey Guys-

I have some beautiful custom floor mats in my car and am curious how you all keep them from bunching forward every time you get in or drive the car? I see that the floor pan has both velcro and snaps. Did the original floor mats feature an interface to these features? If not, what would you recommend?

T

2. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Rosey and xplodee like this.
  3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Velcro isn't near robust enough. I made a U-shaped bracket that attaches to the seat mounting bolts and goes under the mat and then pop-riveted the rear mat edge to the bracket (the rivet heads hide in the carpet pile).

4. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    My suggestion of what I did in the Boxer, to juliei, a few years ago:

5. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Sewed a material section to the mat, and attached to seat mount

6. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. I’m going to try using some industrial upholstery glue to bond some velcro circle to the floor mats. Hoping that will do the job sticking to the original velcro already riveted in place.

7. Rostami6

Rostami6 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2013
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Amir
    I hated that issue as well. It drives me crazy. Same problem in all my olde 911s as well.
    I ended up buying coco mats and haven’t had to adjust them or pull them back not even once. In my Testarossa, I removed the carpet under the floor mats as well. The coco mats are sitting directly on the floorboard touching metal. They are not moving since they are much heavier than normal mats. If you don’t mind the few extra lbs from the mats, those would be your best solution in my opinion. And I’ve had great experience with them. They customize them anyway you want. I even sent mine back for a small modification (I felt the driver side was about an inch too long) and they fixed them at no charge.
    No affiliation with them. Just a happy customer.

8. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
  9. Rostami6

Rostami6 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2013
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Amir
    Yes. That’s correct

10. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Could someone take a pic of the floor below their floormats? I’m not sure what is original on my floor. I have snap grommets installed and velcro riveted in place below my mats. Not sure if thats original or not

11. Rostami6

Rostami6 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2013
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Amir
    Here are some pictures. So I was wrong about the mat siting directly on the metal. It’s been a a few years since I put them in my car,
    So I had floor mats, then the carpet, then the pad you see. I removed the original floor mats and the carpet below and put the cocomats right on top of the pad. They sit directly on what you see in the first picture. The indentions you see on the grey and black pads are from the bottom of the cocomats. I hope this helps. Let me know if you want to see more pictures.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Problem solved.

My ‘87 had velcro riveted to the floor panels. I’m not sure if this was added or original. I assume original as black rivets were used which is not common for shop work.

I marked my floor mats and sprayed industrial grade upholstery contact adhesive to secure the hook side of the velcro to the bottom of my floor mats.

PROBLEM SOLVED. No more moving around and this adhesive grips like no other. Another box checked on the continuous improvement of my ‘87.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login View attachment 3515273

raysur and EZORED like this.