488 - TPMS readings across front axle | FerrariChat

488 TPMS readings across front axle

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by ohared, Jul 21, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ohared

ohared Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 14, 2009
    I was monitoring the TPMS a bit more than usual today as I was checking for a slow puncture.
    I noticed
    Temps: 50 Deg C on front left , 45 Deg C on right front
    Pressures: 2.4 and 2.3 bar.

This that temp variation across the front just measurement error, it was during normal road driving not track.
    The rear sensors showed exact same temps.

2. sh11783

sh11783 Karting

May 19, 2004
    On the F8 there is a radiator outlet near the front left axle that creates the same anomaly. I suspect its the same issue on the 488 and if so it is a consequence of the car's design and not a sensor issue.

Level7 and Viperjoe like this.
  3. docster

docster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 14, 2004
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    David
    Yep, same on my 488 GTB. Engine coolant radiator exhausting into left front wheel well is the culprit. Microsoft would probably call it a "feature." :)

pdxjim488 and Viperjoe like this.
  4. todd cloud

todd cloud Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Todd
    my 2013 458 does this, too. front left always a few degrees higher. same explanation? radiator exhaust?

5. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Front left always reads higher on my 458 as well. I replaced all four sensors last fall.

6. Normal.

Viperjoe likes this.
  7. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
    Same. 2018 488. What 'docster' wrote.

Viperjoe likes this.
  8. ohared

ohared Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 14, 2009
    Great feedback guys; I need to change out 2016 vintage Michelin Pilot Super Sport (OEM fitment). I will go with the Pilot Super Sport 4S. What about the TPMS sensors, what is the average life time. It would eBay shame to have the tyres off then the batteries in the sensors fail shortly afterwards.

9. Mrpseudonym

Mrpseudonym Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 7, 2020
    Sydney, Australia
    Unless you do a lot of miles the batteries in your TPMS sensors should last a few more years, at least long enough to not worry for this tyre change. I have a car that is 13 years old and still running original TPMS

10. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
  11. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Unless somethings off, those TPMS sensors will last a long time. No need to change them.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

12. ohared

ohared Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 14, 2009
    Thanks, reassuring

13. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Mine lasted exactly 7 years. I replaced tires and didn’t replace sensors, and within a month two had failed. So it was back to the shop to replace all four.

I believe I read somewhere 7 years is the expected lifetime. They’re not that expensive online, so act accordingly…….

14. Wolfram

Wolfram Rookie

Jun 2, 2021
    Full Name:
    David Browne
    Same here - 488 Spider (UK RHD) - front left tyre consistently reads up to 5C hotter than the other, especially with spirited driving; rears are always consistent. I had been a bit concerned about it; interesting to hear about the radiator outlet and that would certainly explain it.

15. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    I run my left front .5psi less when cold than front right. I’m very ocd plus when warm at speed I’d rather have the front psi match more closely