Today's 330 GTC Sell Prices? | FerrariChat

Today's 330 GTC Sell Prices?

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by rob lay, Dec 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Yes, I read the Uro/Wayne/Tom thread on the 330's, but I still don't have a clue. $70k for a GTC that needs paint and driveline, while $130k for a shower?

I have a line on a $95k 330 GTC that is red and a really good driver. No known serious problems that require immediate attention. 2 cylinders a little down, but I don't have the numbers.

What do you think?

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The train's leaving the station, and it won't be coming back...............

3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    :confused:

Are you drinking before 4pm again? ;)

4. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I thought I'd give you some moral support on the 'buy' decision..

Yea, they brought a nice Wild Turkey 101 gift pack around 9:30 this morning, the whole office deferred to my expertise in safely handling this volatile material......

See? It came with glasses and everything...the office icemakers working overtime to keep up!!!

The 330GTC is just the last of the 'round edged' Ferraris, it's only if you have all the models lined up that you see what a transition in design theory this represents....thus they are almost the last of the "old ones".....ya know??.....hic......

5. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I DO think the current ones available do NOT represent some truly mint 'cream puffs' that current owners are hiding.........

They wanna maximize the return as well, I guess ya can't blame them.......

6. Dave330gtc

Dave330gtc Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2002
    NW Indiana
    Full Name:
    David Smith
    We have discussed this before but keep in mind $25,000 for engine, $25,000 for paint, $10,000 for chrome, $5,000 for interior, and many other dollars for miscellaneous mechanicals. Before you know it you are starting to get some real money wrapped up in the low price car. The GTC is a great car and has been underappreciated for some time. It is one of the last old school designs. They are great cars to live with. I don't think we will see them at the Lusso or GTB price level but I do think there is going to be more appreciation and the well sorted, well maintained cars will definitely command the premium dollars. And keep in mind that this is just my biased opinion of these great cars.

7. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    4 years ago, this would have been a $65k car.

2 years ago, this would have been a $85K car.

2 years from now, this will be a $____k car.

You fill in the blanks.

Dr "Gotta love dem GTCs" Who

8. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    Fantasy Junction no longer lists that perfect 330 GTC they had at $185K, which definately set the recent high water mark for these great cars.

I think that by now, everyone who has been following the 330 threads knows what to look for in a 330 GTC, so if 2 cylinders are reading a little low, and that's the only problem the PPI reveals, than I present you with the following thought:

2 "slightly down" cylinders may not be a huge problem - if compression numbers are within 15% of each other, throw a can of Sea Foam in the fuel tank, another in the sump, drive 300 miles and re-test. If you're lucky, it's a stuck ring or carbon buildup, and problem goes away. If you're unlucky, so what - drive it anyways (it's a good driver, as you mention). Then rebuild the motor when prices have crept up to $150K for a good car a few years down the road.

Or, another option is you can give the name and contact info of the seller to me, and I'll buy it for $95K, throw a can of Sea Foam in it, and drive it around! LOL!

9. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Tex, you are exactly right! With the clear exception of Tony Nicosia's car, ALL the other GTC's publicly available are #2 or #3 cars. The really great ones stay under the radar. One would have to look very diligently to find them, and even then some owners just say: Yes, they are absolutely beautiful aren't they, thank you very much for your interest!

Rob; if you're serious, find the best, most reputable techs (anywhere in the country) who take care of them, make friends, and get them to point you to a car they respect. You might have to pry it away from the owner, but by then you'll probably be looking at a really good one.

Or, since most awl you Texans have awl wells in the backyard, just buy any GTC; then you can have the personal pleasure of 'investing' $85-$100 into it, and you'll know you have a great one. And at the current rate of appreciation, by the time you've done it, and enjoyed it for a few years, you might still come out smelling like a (yellow, of Texas) rose.

You can't go wrong with an expensive GTC!

Jump in! (Wayne did....)

james

10. DMC

DMC Formula 3

Nov 15, 2002
    WI/IL
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Add 15-20 to your numbers above, and I think you're closer to current asking prices.

If you have a solid driver in the $90-100 range, I'd say jump on it. I know someone that has also been looking and may have finally found one up north, same price range. It took a long time to find, there are simply not many on the market right now.

Too bad it's red. ;) Good luck!

11. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

(holding head and screaming)

12. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    You snooze you lose...

13. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Well, the 2 cylinders down are down a bunch. 28% leak down. However, still good possiblity an "Italian Tune Up" would clear it up. If you know this car, please keep it private, because I might pull the trigger on this one. In the back of my mind, a 250 GTE is calling my name. If I'm going vintage 12, why not go VINTAGE 12 and for a little less? :confused:

14. Andy

Andy Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Take a look at the ads on www.ferrarinexus.com for comparison...I put up the site for exactly this purpose.

15. wrecktech

wrecktech Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2004
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    If I won the lottery tomorrow I would have to have one of these. 1962 250 GT SWB California Spyder, S/N not listed, Classic Car Collection, Geneva, Switzerland, Nice.

http://www.carclassic.com/html/DG21.htm

16. DMC

DMC Formula 3

Nov 15, 2002
    WI/IL
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Why not, indeed. Go for it, if it falls through, start looking at GTE's again. What do you have to lose?

17. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Thanks, Tritone.......LOL!

18. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004