Title and Bill of sale | FerrariChat

Title and Bill of sale

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by cptndon, Feb 28, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cptndon

cptndon Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2005
    Annapolis
    I tried Search for this but couldn't get anywhere. I've read somewhere that some states don't title old cars and that they are sold with a Bill of Sale only. Is this correct? If so,where?

Thanks in advance.

2. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    When I lived in New Yourk state, cars from 1974 and back were sold by signing the registration - there was no title. It's been a while since I lived there so this might have changed.

Bob Z.

3. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    Don't know about "no title", but there used to be a guy who would supply a title (usually Alabama) with almost nothing in the way of paper-work. He used to advertise in R&T, I think.

Which reminds me: I have a complete set of R&T which I'm thinking of selling. If interested, contact me before it goes on eBay. Cheers!

4. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I just went through this in PA.

No title, no car. Bill of sale is no longer accepted as legal proof of change of ownership.

If the title was "Lost", the you'd better find it. In PA, you can't find it without the last good plate and the VIN. If you have those, the state will issue the replacement. But only if you're listed as the current owner with the state. So your name better be on the title. If it's a dead guy, you'd better be the executor of his will.

I had to pass on a very nice Porsche 356B because the lawyer handling the estate was too lazy to go through this. The car is sitting in a lot, rusting away as we speak.

DM

5. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

S what if the car has never been Titled or Liscenced?

6. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    You would still have the manufacturer's certificate of origin. Which is what the original title is issued from.

7. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Actually, you can send the VIN number to a lawyer in Alabama, as previously stated and for a fee, they can have an Alabama title issued, as long as the vehicle is of a certain age and not listed on the hot sheets. He signs this title over, sends it to you and then you register it in your state, VOILA, you have a legal car.

8. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    there has recently been a scandal in california and it involved the "title laundering" outfits. People were doing this with kit Cobras and other high dollar exotics to escape paying high fees and retitling cars as vintage. A lot of owners got penalized, as did a few of the outfits that advertise in hemmings.

9. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Spyder??? How much??? I could have bought a solid running 1963 356 coupe for $6000 a few months ago. I just didn't feel like parting with the money. How much were they asking?
    As for titles, every state is different. Here in Arkansas, you just need a bill of sale for the car and parts if the car in question is over 25 years old. They issue a title and antique license plates. There is also a street rod registration that I haven't ever dealt with. It's for older cars that are not restored to original.

10. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Car was very solid, no rust that I could find anywhere. 1 owner under 60K miles. $4000. Coupe T5 1961

It was a super 90, very original, which is what made it attractive to me. It had broken a suspension piece up front in 1971, the guy parked it, and never drove it again. It had all its original bits, including tools, hubcaps, chrome, etc.

DM

DM

11. resnow

resnow Formula Junior

May 21, 2001
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Bob Snow
    I bought my 250 in Rhode Island several years ago with only a bill of sale - no titles in R.I. at that time. I then brought the car to NC. In order to title it in NC, I went through a company in Alabama, essentially selling the car to them for $1.00. They then titled the car in Alabama and sold it back to me for $100, all this done while the car sat in my NC garage. I then had an Alabama registration and title that I used to title the car in NC. I don't know if this company in AL is still doing business. I was a little concerned about selling a Ferrari for $1.00 but it all worked out fine.

Bob

12. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill

Exactly what I was talking about, Thank you.

13. cptndon

cptndon Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2005
    Annapolis
    Bob,

Which company did you use? I have to admit that the process, i.e., sending someone I don't know the papers for my car makes me more than a little nervous.

Also, where in NC are you? I'm originally from High Point. There's some fantastic Ferrari history there.

14. boffin218

boffin218 Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Chris
    That's a heartbreaker, such a nice car going to waste.

15. resnow

resnow Formula Junior

May 21, 2001
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Bob Snow

Sorry, but it was in 1984 and I have no idea who it was. I got the name of the company from the classifieds in Autoweek but I haven't seen the service advertised recently. I will look back in some of my paperwork on my car and see if I still have any info. If so, I'll post it here later.

I'm about 30 minutes east of HP and I know the history you're talking about.

Bob

16. sam231

sam231 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2004
    RI
    I think they still don't title cars 25 years or older in Rhode Island. When I went to register my 330 two years ago all they asked for was copy of bill of sale and , most importantly, proof that I had paid the state sales tax. I had brought the old Illinois Title but it was ignored. The clerk just started chatting about how her husband owned an old Studebaker Hawk and the paperwork was done! Guess we can wash a lot through this little corner of the country ;)

17. resnow

resnow Formula Junior

May 21, 2001
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Bob Snow

OK, here's the ad from the Aug 12, 1985, issue of AutoWeek:

*TITLES*

NO PREVIOUS PAPERWORK REQUIRED
    COMPLETELY LEGAL for ANY pre-1975

P. O. Box 6262A
    Birmingham, AL 35217
    (205) 324-0611

You have about as much chance of this still being valid as buying the 330TR for $69,500 in the same issue.

By the way, I first tried to get a NC title by using the Rhode Island bill of sale, but the license bureau clerk just laughed at me. That's when I found the Alabama title company.

Bob

18. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    I read thru this thread but thought I would use your question to answer with. There is a way in Montana to do this also. I have done it on a '97 car(there is no date limit) that only had a bill of sale. Montana requires an Insurance bond for 3 yrs. for the value of the car, they call it a "bonded title". I think most insurance co. know what this, is I used state farm for mine. You get a Montana title with "bonded" printed on it, after 3 yrs they remove the wording. The reason they do this is to protect the state from someone that could claim an ownership in the car since there is no recorded chain of title at the time you apply for the title. States, by issuing a title guarantee you are the owner of that vehicle. The 3 yr period gives them protection, I guess they figure that if someone was going to claim ownership they would do it in that period. Regards, Vern

19. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    Georgia doesnt require titles on cars made before 1985. i gave the GA DMV a clean Nevada title on my Jalpa . they gave me a clean GA tile only because i had a title from another state and i DEMANDED a GA title for the car. however, if you get an older car from another state, a bill of sale is all you need here to register it. you can also go through the motions later on and get a title for it as suggested with the Title bond post.