Tire pressure | FerrariChat

Tire pressure

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Bill Phillips, Jan 14, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bill Phillips

Bill Phillips Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Has anyone tried running a little less pressure than the recommended 35F/32R in a pre turbo model. I have the 20” wheels front and rear with Pirelli 245/35 and 285/35 tires. That recommended pressure gives me a relatively rough ride and the rear end breaks loose under any hard acceleration in 1st or 2nd gear.

2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I did, inadvertently, at the outset of cooler weather here. Was about 3 - 4 psi low. Had the Boardwalk folks pump them up to factory spec (35/32 psi : front / rear IIRC) when I had it in for a detail in November. Been riding much better since.

Full disclosure though, at this time of year, ambient temps while I'm driving tend to be in low 50s. This is toward the low end of my comfort zone for driving on summer tires, so I'm not pushing her hard while driving in winter...T

Bill Phillips likes this.
  3. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    You can drop them 2-3 psi below, but in general the Pirellis are pretty rough. This is just one of the many reasons why we prefer the Michelins.

Bill Phillips and tomc like this.
  4. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I have Pirelli on my 911 - Michelin not available when I needed to change - they were more than fine when first installed, which coincided with warm to hot weather. As the temps have cooled, I've noticed a bigger drop in performance/my comfort level in the Pirelli versus the Michelins that I have on the California...T

montegoblue and Bill Phillips like this.
  5. Bill Phillips

Bill Phillips Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Thanks, which Michelins specifically?

6. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Michelin Pilot Sport 4S is what I have on my California. K2 spec. They seem to be among the most highly recommended for F-cars here on F-chat...T

Bill Phillips likes this.