Thermostats removal with engine in.... | FerrariChat

Thermostats removal with engine in....

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by plip, Nov 12, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. plip

plip Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Gianni Olivieri
    Hi

has any of you got any success in removing the thermostats with the engine in situ ? if so any suggestions/trick to be used ?

Many tks

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    what car?
    BB or TR?
    I think TR because you write thremostats and not thermostat
    it is a little difficult but possible. remove the engine hood, put a piece of wood on the engine with some pillows below that you not damage anything, then a thin mattress on, lay down at work. good luck.
    and don´t forget when finished to bleed the system at the 3 bleeders

3. plip

plip Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Gianni Olivieri
    #3 plip, Nov 12, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    Guten Tag Romano

Yes TR 1987. Am most concerned for the 2 nuts which sits against the firewall.....had the engine out until last week but realized that the bleeder on the thermostat is not working only after started the engine. Nothing is coming out. In fact can run the engine without the plug and nothing happens. Seems like the dealer who did the major last time broke the drain plug and let the broken part inside...then they just shorten am M6 bolt and screw it on top.....so cannot get all the air out....had only checked that before...

4. raysur

raysur Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2008
    So. Cal.
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    You could use a vacuum coolant bleeder. You will never need to "burp" a system again.

5. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    even with such a vacuum bleeder sometimes there remain air inside. so better to bleed right

had once the same problem after reinstalling the engine. but I fixed it with the engine inside. removed the thermostatcover and fixed the bleeding screw/made something different and works fine.

6. plip

plip Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Gianni Olivieri
    Indeed Jeff, was actually thinking of an airlift tool but will need to fix the mess the 'professionals' did one day or the other...

7. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Consider drilling a m6 bolt down its centerline a little oversize from the ezout drill bit... let the drilled bolt act as a drill guide.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Or left handed drill bit,

9. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    just had a look at some pictures when I did this with the thermostat-bleeder
    I removed the complete thermostat housing. for this remove as I have written already the engine hood ( I not did this but it would be easier to work then ) and the small black rear grill behind the rear window.

have a look at my "bed" to work on :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

and also the bleeder I did
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

plip likes this.
  10. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Included in the kit...

11. plip

plip Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Gianni Olivieri
    Tks all for the hints. Broken plug out....air out...now the fan starts and stop as they were supposed to. Need to balance the banks with the vacuum gauges and then is ready for the winter sleep and could tackle the Alfa..... the winter is still quite long over here.