the Video Game console Craze | FerrariChat

the Video Game console Craze

Discussion in 'Technology' started by elpadrino, Oct 10, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. elpadrino

elpadrino Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2005
    Bogota NJ
    Full Name:
    Gabriel
    ok so we've all seen it, a new console comes out right before christmas, its the Must have for all gamers (last year Xbox 360, this year Playstation 3) the supplies are purposely limited and made out to be that there will be enough. However there never is. For instance In my Area GameStop has 4 stores, two mall locations and two stand alone. the Mall locations will recieve 16 PS3 total until AFTER Christmas then its up to supply at that point, the two stand alones will only recieve 8. Xbox came out last year at somewhers around $500 -$550 and was selling for $800-$1200 in the same week. With the new technology that PS3 has to offer and the reputation behind playstation do you think this one will go way overboard like the tickle me elmo craze that occurred a few years back.

Basic setup is going for $500
    Premium setup : 60gb harddrive, wireless controllers ect ect. = $600

I think this would be a good investment for a quick return provided you can get your hands on a few (limited to one per person/household within the entire company). Hold onto it till the Xmas Rush parents wanting them for their kids i think it will fetch a crazy price this year.

Any opinions or thoughts ?

2. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    you should be able to retire by january!

doody.

3. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Just be like a cocaine dealer and be sure not to get addicted to your own product...

4. rush109

rush109 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Joshua McRae
    Your forgetting about the Nintendo Wii!!!

5. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Its quite a pain in the butt just to make a few hundred bucks..but yeah..you'll be able to turn them around for $1000 immediately.

6. jonesn

jonesn Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    STL-MO
    Full Name:
    Evan "Trouble" Jones
    Rule #2 of Scarface: Don't get high on your own supply.

7. jonesn

jonesn Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    STL-MO
    Full Name:
    Evan "Trouble" Jones
    How do you get around the 1-per customer rule? Give your friends cash to buy a system each, then give them a small cut of the profit?

8. Trevor L

Trevor L Formula Junior

Jul 21, 2004
    OKC, USA
    Hire homeless ppl like the ticket scalpers do.

9. Trevor L

Trevor L Formula Junior

Jul 21, 2004
    OKC, USA
  10. elpadrino

elpadrino Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2005
    Bogota NJ
    Full Name:
    Gabriel
    saw that coming... Anyways yeh i got a hold of 3 today. Garaunteed for delivery whenever they do come in. I got three of the 60gb systems, and got around the one per person by ordering one myself, my gf ordering one, and then using a family friend that i work with that has no children (thus 3). The reason i used this family friend is because he doesnt care about video games, doesnt have children or grandchildren and thats that, I thought about using friends but i also considered the fact that if they decide they want it in the end or if they want to turn around and sell it themselves theres not much i could do about it so i didnt use friends.

As far as ebay goes you have to have the product shipped within 30days of the end of auction these people are trying to auction off an item that has no definite delivery date due to possible late release. Ill save mine for when i actually have it and can promise it as per ebay rules. (IF i decide to go through with it...im considering if just selling them to my aunts and uncles for what i paid and letting my little cousins get em or one for me, one for my cousins, one for ebay)

11. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    Presales are against eBay's and PayPal's policy. Unless you're actually Sony or Microsoft who is preselling the product, you really can't do it. I had purchased $50,000 worth of XBox 360's to presell and was given a "guarenteed" date of a month before Christmas. This was done with a legit corporation. With the markup I had sold around $80,000 worth of XBox's before eBay and PayPal shut us down. Fortunatly we were able to provide proof of purchase and our accounts were unfrozen. By that point the date had been pushed back a few times and we decided to cancel the entire order and refund everyones money. Everyone went home upset and noone won. It's a giant mess to get into and I highly recommend noone does it. The only way you can win is by going to Best Buy and camping outside overnight to grab a unit the next morning then sell it. Fortunatly I had done my homework and went through a legit company and didn't lose out any of money. I have numerous reports of people who were out tons in the search for a quick buck by purchasing units from people who were "preselling" them.

12. elpadrino

elpadrino Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2005
    Bogota NJ
    Full Name:
    Gabriel
    I really dont understand how people can sell stuff they dont even own yet, I wonder how many of those people can actually afford it themselves. I mean if they take the pre-order money then sure they can afford it cause someone else paid. I have enough money myself for all three and Im not even going to begin to try to sell them until i have picked them up and have them in my personal possession.

13. Lemke

Lemke F1 Rookie

Oct 27, 2004
    Vancouver, WA
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    You might be able to get double that. XBox 360s were going for a minimum of 1500 bucks on Ebay after they came out.

14. taber

taber Formula 3

Mar 4, 2005
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Norman
    How many of those transactions really completed or weren't shilled bids?

Walter, what kind of markup per unit did you have?

Also, I wonder if you could move a lot systems on Craigslist or through word of mouth (or anything besides eBay).

15. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    I believe it was $300 per unit IIRC. Within 24 hours I had sold through nearly all of them.

I had an initial down payment then the rest was secured via Amex. It's definatly possible to do it that way though.

16. fifrules

fifrules Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2006
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Jon Kepler
    So is everyone else! ;)

17. Baasha

Baasha Formula 3

Jun 20, 2004
    NorCal
    PS3's are already sold out apparently! There are 400,000 units allocated to the US for next month's launch and the pre-orders are done! I cannot believe it. Nowadays, more adults are gaming than teenagers and children. Therefore, the game industry has grown exponentially over the last decade or so. Anyhow, those dumbasses at the retailers will not allow one to buy more than a single PS3 package due to the fear of flipping (by Sony I presume) it for double/triple the original price. Hey, there's a parallel between a game console and Ferraris. The same BS goes on with the Ferrari MSRP case.. people flipping the cars for exorbitant prices and newcomers getting bent over by the dealers for a nice butt plug.

A guy who's son I tutored works @ IBM and was intensely involved in the development of the CELL chip--the one that's used in the PS3. He apparently, although not surprisingly, claims that with the CELL chip, the PS3 will OWN the Xbox 360 & Microsoft. LOL.. although with the anxious anticipation of the release of their (Microsoft's) new OS, Vista, profits are going to be a record high this year I think..

Anyone got hookups @ Sony?? I will buy as many PS3's you can get your hands on.. LOL..

18. Baasha

Baasha Formula 3

Jun 20, 2004
    NorCal
    ROFLMAO!!

After Super Mario, Nintendo was forgotten...LOL.

19. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    I was one of the crazy ones camping out for the Xbox 360 last year. There were people in line with friends that were buying them 2 and 3 at a time to flip on Ebay or wherever.

I plan on doing the same thing when the PS3 comes out. Should be able to sell it for somewhere over $1200 if the trend is the same as with the Xbox. It may be a bit of a hassel but being a college student it's a pretty nice profit considering the amount of work involved.

20. rush109

rush109 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Joshua McRae
    NINTENDO WII..............!!!

21. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    I went though the same crap with my 1st PS2, I went ahead & waited 6 months until some of the buggy issues were solved & I'm glad I did. I expect the same thing to happen with the PS3 as well. I’ll get mine in due time, but it’s going to be funny watching people riot over a damn gaming system, make the buck while you can folks.

22. Lemke

Lemke F1 Rookie

Oct 27, 2004
    Vancouver, WA
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Thats a good question and I have no idea.

23. elpadrino

elpadrino Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2005
    Bogota NJ
    Full Name:
    Gabriel
    I say let them go crazy but thats cause i have 3 of the 16 the local store offered, I dont plan on wasting the money on something stupid i actually plan on using some of it to pay off what little debt i do have and putting the rest into a savings account (as one person on Fchat said to me, saving until you have something worth investing)

But i agree Nintendo is long gone, they can come up with nifty ideas and new toys all they want but their grave has been dug a while ago.

I've reviewed a lot of the previews and clips from PS3 games and im really impressed, my brother does computer animation (like movies and tv commercials) and he was also impressed, and with the ability to play dvd and blue-ray...i may just end up keeping one

24. mpatrizio

mpatrizio Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2004
    Miami, Fl
    Full Name:
    Mike P.
    Ever wonder what Condo-flipping was all about? ;)

25. ashsimmonds

ashsimmonds F1 World Champ

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    yar i won't bother getting one until GT5 comes out. but then we're not getting the PS3 till like march '07 or something