The Rise and Fall of USF1 (merged) | Page 65 | FerrariChat

The Rise and Fall of USF1 (merged)

Discussion in 'F1' started by stevanford, Feb 4, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Mmmm... Scuderia Ferrari Mouton Rothschild, now that has class!.

So long as we don't end up with: Scuderia Ferrari Walmart!. (Yes, yes, I'm a snob, I admit it! :D )

2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I don't get it: Why is Windsor in the Renault garage?

3. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    :D :D :D , Now that made Me laugh out loud!

4. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    +1 funny man.

5. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    The decision to enter into sponsorship is usually made as part of a broader marketing plan (entering a new market etc.) so I couldn't say if F1 would make sense or not. All I know is that F1 has lost a lot of its cache in American eyes following the USF1 misadventure.

6. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I dont believe that.

Those few US Americans who cared about F1 did that before the trolls from BSF1 entered the stage. And most of the F1 followers in this country could see clearly why it never went anywhere. I think the people who blame it on F1/Bernie/FIA are a minority at best.

If you're going to a gun fight, don't bring a knife.

7. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    I agree with you but I don't think that your points necessarily contradict mine. I'm talking in the context of marketers not fans. For a variety of reasons F1 has become unattractive in the US.

8. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    I'll take this instead of the Mouton Rothschild :p

Romanée conti

9. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    +1, That's pretty much My view as well.

The big problem then becomes one that without the marketers being interested, the pressure required from the fans in the USA for a race/team or both would have to be massive to change the marketers minds, and at the moment it seems, the balance between apathy for F1 in the USA Vs interest for F1 in the USA, is very much in favour of the former (sadly :( ).

It's this apathy that keeps preventing F1 from breaking into the very lucrative US market and worryingly, it seem as though it may be too big a mountain for F1 to overcome :( .

10. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Uh, oh, way out of my league.

I'm happy enough with wines from Michigan.

11. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    Way out of my league too, but I've learned to appreciate some of the finer things in life from people who have been very generous to me.

12. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #1612 tifosi12, Mar 7, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
    I could have said the exact same thing when it comes to cars.

It's nice to have wealthy friends who let you sample their toys once in a while.

13. aquapuss

aquapuss Formula 3

Sep 18, 2005
    #1613 aquapuss, Mar 7, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
    I wouldn't worry about that, the USF1 failure was a good thing thinking about the long term. The American mindset is such that only winning counts, the sport/event itself is not that important. All one has to do is to watch sports on American TV to quickly realize that. USF1 would have always been a backmarker and as such would have done no favors to F1 in the US.

14. tommott77

tommott77 Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2009
    NC
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Dare I ask.....but who is going to be Speed's in pit reporter this weekend? Any chance Windsor would show his face again so quickly?

15. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I sure hope not.

Even over at the sycophants website from Speed TV the cheerleaders for PeeWee are diminishing and folks are asking the station to NOT bring him back.

He was a fool before, now he is a fool with zero credibility. Hardly what you want from a "F1 inside journo".

16. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    I read somewhere who is filling in for the first couple races for Will Buxton, who's wife is due soon and WAS NOT Pee Wee. Did you watch the Speed Report Sunday?? no mention as to why Varsha wasn't there - I like the other guy with Ralph Sheen (close!) and the comments about USFail1 were almost non-existent....I thought it was all a bit bizarre.

Carol

17. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #1617 tifosi12, Mar 9, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2010

I didn't and I have to rely on the good folks like you to watch the practice sessions:

I never watch those, but now I would really like to see how Far-from-Sharp and Mr. "4.57 seconds-there-or-there-abouts" recover from jumping on the wrong bandwaggon (using the term waggon loosely here since we only saw the top of it).

I hope Varsha and Matchett feel embarrassed to the bone and stumble around with some lame excuses (the bad FIA, Bernie, the economy). And I also hope Hobbs gives them some flak.

I doubt they have the courage to say something meaningful in qualifying or the race, but maybe in practice?

Keep us posted please.

18. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Latest word from the FIA is that USF1 may face "Sanctions" for their failure to appear.
    Couldn't happen to a better couple of guys.

19. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    Buxton is just filling in for a few races?

Oh... that is worrying. That means maybe PeeWee is coming back? Gawd I hope not! I hope Buxton is the permanent guy.

On a promising note, James Allen said on the BBC that he would be doing the post-race interviews from now on, as he used to do them in the past. So it looks like Windsors place has been filled, even if he does try to claw his way back in.

Good riddance.

20. SRT Mike

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    I think it may just mean they lose their grid spot. I know they are not on the 2010 entry list, but I am not aware of anything from the FIA justifying their exclusion. Failure to show up for the first race could then result in a hearing whereby their entry is officially revoked.

In other words - all they have done thus far is ask the FIA for an extension. Until they actually miss a race, they haven't broken any rules. Once they do, there are grounds to toss them out.

I wouldn't think the FIA could do anything more, unless Andersen agreed to such when signing the Concorde agreement.

Then again, having seen Andersen's assets and those of USF1, there really isn't anything they could take from them, nothing that would be worthwhile anyway.

21. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    You'll be thankful to know you are reading him wrong. His post was meant to imply that he had read the name of the person who will fill in for Will Buxton for those first few races. I assume he has forgotten 'who' though. The details:

"Westbury Gillett will fill in for Buxton for the first few races..."

Buxton is definitely the permanent guy for SPEED from now on - should be a welcomed change, and not just because we lose Windsor.

>8^)
    ER

22. SRT Mike

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    Duh, you're right of course, should have read that a bit closer.

Funny that Buxton gets the job, then immediately takes a vacation missing a few races before even starting the job :)

I wonder where PeeWee is going to end up? I imagine he has been making a lot of calls.

I will go out on a limb and say he will end up as communications director at Virgin or Campos, or he is in furious negotations with StefanGP (or whomever looks set to get the 13th spot next year) to dig his claws into their operation, whoever they may be.

23. zaevor2000

zaevor2000 Formula 3

Jul 18, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Frank Waugh

24. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    just read this from the BBC

US F1 team could face action over failure to be ready

Boss Peter Windsor and driver Jose Maria Lopez missed out with US F1
    The US F1 team could be punished by the International Automobile Federation (FIA) for failing to be ready in time to race in the 2010 world championship.

The American team were due to be one of four new entrants this year but asked for a one-year delay to their entry.

"The world council mandated the FIA president to take forward the most appropriate action," said a statement.

President Jean Todt will conduct an inquiry before the world motorsport council judging body returns a verdict.

The Serbian-based Stefan team tried to fill the gap left on the grid by US F1's failure to be ready, but had their bid rejected.

The FIA also revealed that its world council had approved a new selection process for a potential 13th entry, and reserve 14th team, for the 2011 championship, and that India will host a race next year.

That may lead to an expansion of the calendar to a record 20 races.

25. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Now that Practice has happened in the first race, it is time to serve crow to all those who believed in petey.