The Return of Zupra... | FerrariChat

The Return of Zupra...

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by PaulK, Jun 27, 2021.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Dear Brothers and Sisters of The Revolution,

Back in the old days of FChat when it was still in its infancy, and the greatest Ferrari road car ever was the Challenge Stradale (which in my mind still hasn’t been eclipsed this side of an F40), there was one member here who truly became a legend. He was noted for not his car collection, but his infectious personality and deep passion for the red mist of which we all share. His name was Zupra. I think he was 12 at the time.

The old school FChatters will remember massive threads hundreds of pages long like Speedy and Zupra’s Cafe. They will no doubt remember organizing and contributing funds so that he could attend Ferraris in The French Quarter to where he had the time of his life. And who could forget BigTex gifting him his very own go kart Ferrari!

[​IMG]
    (I can’t seem to find any pictures of him in New Orleans, there are so many threads to sift through… maybe someone can help me out with that as I suspect he’d get a kick out of it)

I think what resonated with so many people was that we all could place ourselves in his shoes. We were all twelve years old once and the sight of a Ferrari would get our hearts pumping and a smile on our face. And here was someone just like that we all could share our passion with. He helped make FerrariChat human. Not this elitist stuffy place based on wealth or title, but a place where all walks of life were welcome- ownership or not. The only requirement was that they loved Ferraris.

I’ve had the good fortune to keep in touch with Zupra off and on throughout the years. I’ve always told him that he should come back to the forums- that people still remember him and even ask about him…

Well Brothers and Sisters you now get to witness that unbridled excitement once again! Zupra (who’s real name is Chesney) has of course gotten older now but his love for Ferrari has never diminished with time. Thanks to his dad, it happened! He got to drive a 488GTB. First he drove the Lamborghini Huracan (because you got to save the best for last). Witness the very first time EVER of him behind the wheel:

[​IMG]

Zupra's first exotic drive- the Lamborghini

[​IMG]

Zupra's first ever Ferrari drive- 488GTB

It's an important part of his history that happened, and therefore an important part of ours. I hope you guys enjoyed going down memory lane. Perhaps if this thread gets enough activity... the legend will return! Forza Zupra! Forza Ferrari!

Attached Files:

WJHMH, DIGMAN52, NYC Fred and 6 others like this.
  2. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    glad to see he stuck with it and his dream came true

NYC Fred, Mel Spillman and PaulK like this.
  3. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Blast from the past…

4. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    For sure! He was and, still is, a character.

JSinNOLA likes this.
  5. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Thanks for the heads up to come find this thread!!

2004 FFQC Roll Call:
    John Suarez...
    Franco of course, John H III,
    Dave Goldman, helped hugely handling and shipping the kart on to his house!
    Kelly Vince....I know he sold his car, I hope his wife recovered???

Thanks PaulK!!!!

Sadly the 2004 FFQC is on the "dark side" of our server crash, so you won't find any of the pictures "here" but there was a CD made, and there were a whole lot of photos!

Roland Linder
    Martin from Miami
    WILLIAM H!!!

Hell, Ralph Lauren was there under an assumed name in his 288GTO!
    I was behind him in the French Quarter Parade..

And of course....Glickenhaus.
    What a great time....salute to all my old friends, and Zupra.
    Sounds like he has his own family now..??

Every now and then cleaning files I run across the file, as they were not REALLY excited about Zupra lose in the kart.
    I assembled it on the hotel loading dock and zoomed past Harrahs and all the way to the top floor of the garage where I his it under a tarp with broken furnitire.
    The first person that joined me in the elevator going down was John H II!
    I just whistled and looked at the ceiling....
    And of course the had the Red Girls planned for the Bourbon Street Gala...
    Roland and Martin got the most mileage from the Red Girls...LOL!

6. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    ..I recall the cedar plank salmon was really good.

They judged my car fairly, (mud, whiskey bottles, straight off of I10)...but at the final luncheon Kelly Vince handed me his Platinum Award, and said "Here Sppedy!"
    I have it on the shelf to this day!

I have the "last two" karts hanging on my shop wall too....people stop and look in and say "wtf!"

Big chains....:D :D :D

Note all the logos on his kart, that was the sponsors of the weekend.....LetsJet, and several others all ponied in!
    Crazy times.
    I'm not so wild, any more........:D :D

PaulK likes this.
  7. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Thank you BigTex for the additional memories. I know Chesney still appreciates that go kart and the act of kindness and generosity that you and others have brought to him.

Lets see the pics of your karts on the wall!

8. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

speedy and zupra's cafe...good times and memories!!!

PaulK likes this.