"THE" retro GM/FORD/CHRYSLER muscle car poll............. | FerrariChat

"THE" retro GM/FORD/CHRYSLER muscle car poll.............

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Kds, Sep 27, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Which American retro muscle car would you choose?

1. 2011 Chevrolet Camaro RS V8

2. 2011 Ford Mustang GT 5.0

3. 2011 Dodge Challenger SRT8 Hemi

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

#1 Kds, Sep 27, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
    OK..........so, you've got no choice, and your employer says that you are going to get "one" of these 3 retro muscle cars as you next free company car.

You get to choose the colors and options.........and assuming that the gas and maintenance is paid for.........which one would you take for the next 3 years ?

2011 Chevrolet Camaro RS V8
    http://www.gm.com/vehicles/results.jsp?brand=chevrolet&evar10=hompage_vehicles_browsebybrand&fromHome=true

2011 Ford Mustang GT
    http://www.fordvehicles.com/cars/mustang/

2011 Dodge Challenger SRT8 Hemi
    http://www.dodge.com/en/2010/challenger/

I've asked a mod to post my poll as for some reason I didn't get the option when it said I would..........

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #2 rob lay, Sep 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #3 Wade, Sep 27, 2010
    You're kidding, right? lol

Or have you forgotten the G8 sedan already, along with Pontiac's proposed G8 ST?

BTW, I'd take the Camaro.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Tony K

Tony K Formula 3

Jun 7, 2006
    Toledo, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tony K.
    You forgot the poll option for "None of the above."

If offered the car for free, I'll take the one with the highest quick turnaround resale value.

5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    So the G8 is exact same as the Holden V8? Cool. Good looking car and they are all over the place here.

6. johnei

johnei Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2006
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    John Wiley
  7. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Challenger.

8. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I owned an '06 Mustang GT and was really disappointed by it. Still, I think of the three the Mustang would be it; especially now that it has more power (425 vs 300 in mine), a 6-speed, and the brembo brake kit. (my issue with the car was brakes/handling)

9. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    When/if GM actually makes the supercharged Z28 it will be game over for the others unless it is seriously overpriced. But I'm guessing $47k base.

I like the GT500 well enough, but a 550 hp Camaro would be it for me. What would Ford do to retaliate, 600 hp? And it still wouldn't have decent rear suspension.

Friend has a Challenger. Pointless IMO.

10. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    +1

11. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #11 Wade, Sep 27, 2010
    Pretty much... ;)

There's one at work and I lust after it everytime I walk by.

http://www.pontiac.com/g8/
    http://www.pontiacg8.com/

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/01/13/australian-pontiac-g8-given-extended-run/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontiac_G8

12. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    The new 5.0 sounds mean, I like everything about it, other than the back end.

I like everything about the Challenger, and I don't like the heavy looking Camaro.

13. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

#13 Kds, Sep 27, 2010
    This is a company car.......you don't have equity, or ownership rights or anything else, you "have" to give it back.......so, your choice is solely based on testosterone.

Mustang GT for me........

14. Hannah

Hannah Karting

May 7, 2005
    Alberta Canada
    Full Name:
    Hannah
    When the retro cars were first announced it was Challenger...Camaro...Mustang...my like order hasn't changed...Challenger for me...I don't know how easily I would be able to give it back though :)

15. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
  16. ztunelover

ztunelover Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2009
    Calgary, AB
    Full Name:
    Krish
    For me it was a tossup between the challenger, and the mustang. And honestly I'm saying challenger. It has the best sounding motor of the three IMO. And I personally think it is the prettiest of the 3. I would get it, then try and replace the steering wheel with a viper unit(I'm sorry but a 4 spoke dodge caliber steering wheel in that car is plain wrong.) Make the interior a little nicer, then enjoy it as a cruiser. It is the most comfortable cruiser of the three. The mustang is the better overall value and drivers car, but I can't get a mustang as a drivers car because for the same money I can have a 370z, which and I will take no arguement on this, is a significantly better driving machine than any of these three, the genesis 3.8, the rx-8 or anything in its class. The camaro is a bit overdone, they went a bit too far with the styling IMO, it had a big wow factor from me when I first saw it, but the more I look at it, the less appealing it gets, not to mention it is hopelessly impractical, no joke outward visibility for a short guy like me is just terrible.

17. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

#17 Kds, Sep 28, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
    I "sorta" feel the same way about the Challenger as you do Krish.......it has a horrible interior. GACK.......just awful !!

The exterior is nicely done, but it is a little too tall on the sides, and as a result loses points from me due to that styling error.

Of all the cars, I had it in second place because of that, and the fact that Chrysler engines are just not special enough. They have the 250 HP V6 mini-van engine in the cheap version, and the SRT8 is nothing worth writing home about, as it is in several other product lines as well. And.....well, it's not even 426 cubic inches.

The Camaro is just a little too weird and gangsta looking, which is why it was third place, but it does have the nicest interior with just the right mix of new and retro......and the engine is excellent. But I cannot look at the thing for too long lest I turn into a pillar of salt.

The Mustang however, it is bang on. The engine is all aluminium, really winds out, and makes great high RPM power. It is also unique to the car. Lots of performance and handling modifications are available from FORD Racing and if dealer installed they come with the OEM warranty. The exterior is 95% perfect, except for the angle of the back panel with the taillights, and the interior is really good, not great like the Camaro, but waaaaaay better than the Challenger, and it has the right retro touches without coming across as tacky.

Interestingly enough......the Camaro and Challenger, as equipped, and unless the manfacturers websites were wrong and/or did not disclose rebates and incetives, were both $10K more than the Mustang GT !!!!

18. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    GT. Maybe the Challenger if it was smaller.

btw, G8's cool - maybe GM should've made it the Impala or Malibu SS when they put Pontiac on the trailer ... "El Camino" version's kinda cool, too ...

19. ztunelover

Oct 1, 2009
    Calgary, AB
    Full Name:
    Krish
    #19 ztunelover, Sep 28, 2010
    See my issue with the mustang is a double edged sword. The fact that now they are really attempting to make a proper drivers car, rather than a lazy old muscle car is sweet. They are innovating, which I appreciate, but the way I would spec out my 5.0 would be 4k more than a sport pack 370z specced out my way, and even worse, it would only be 3k below the nismo z, which with the upgraded pads, and dealer requested 5.1 fluids is absolutely epic fun on mountatins and the track.

I don't look at the challenger as a drivers car, because I have driven all three, and this out of all cars is the most comfortable cruiser this side of jaguars, it is lazy and incredibly comfortable, oddly enough I would say the srt8 package is a stupid idea, I would go with a r/t package. the 5.7 351ci hemi is good enough in my book, and like I said, I think they sound the best outta the three. The camaro styling is too busy, and I can't see out of it too well, so that pretty much takes that out of the picture, if I can't drive it properly, then its no good for me. So ya in my book the srt-8 is a nono. Gotta be a r/t classic with a couple of options. Ya it's gonna be the slowest of the three but it looks really nice, and I see what you mean by the little high on the sides, but look at it this way the r/t strpies on the side make it look just right. Whereas with bare paint, it's a bit too tall. I still say challenger r/t with 3000 dollars worth of custom interior modifications are in order. Then we are good to go.

That being said I am looking forward to the upcoming boss 302 package. It looks thoroughly interesting.

If I have one gripe about american cars in general, and this includes corvettes, it would be seats, they were clearly meant for people with a wider girth. even the zr1 suffered this from my perspective, it simply wasn't tight enough. A car that corner with that kind of violence needs tighter seats. The boss 302 package seems to be on right path in this sense. Let's see when it comes out.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    You list the Camaro as an RS, I assume you mean SS.

Also the price points are tuff since you have the SS and GT, which are close and the more expensive SRT-8, which in that price point should be an R/T.

I am a Camaro guy, I own a modded older one. But if I was buying now I would get the GT. Just has the best overall package and handing. The new Camaro has an awesome powertrain, but you feel like you sitting in a hole and I’m 6-1. The Challenger looks great. BUT, is too big for what it is, to expensive and slow compared to the others, and has the worst interior by far.

21. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Challenger for the win.

Mustang a very close second.

I cant get past the Camaros tank like exterior.

22. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve

Decent enough rear suspension to smoke the M3 around Laguna Seca in Boss 302 guise.

23. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    You might not take any argument on it, but the Mustang will destroy the Z on any road course other than a parking lot autoX. The new Boss(especially in Laguna Seca form) is a fantastic driver's car. My recommendation is for 370Z owners to pick on Miatas as they've got nothing for the Ford.

24. ztunelover

Oct 1, 2009
    Calgary, AB
    Full Name:
    Krish
    I said drivers car, not lap time machine, as far as sit in a car press buttons and more or less sit around while the car drops a couple of lap records the only car that does that is the gtr. you sort of point it in the general direction it just goes there. I'm talking the sense of involvement, and the driving experience. that stang should have been offered with a decent irs system, ford can make it, and some people like me would pay extra for that. the live axle ruins it a bit, and yes I have driven the car. As good as the 5.0 is, the 370z offers a better experience. And it gets really old when I'm flying around in my seat (all three of them are guilty for that, but a nothing a good set of sparcos can't solve so not a big deal).

Like I said in my previous post I am looking forward to the boss 302. Haven't seen it yet. So factor that in, I haven't i repeat I have not driven a boss 302. The laguna seca edition personally looks hideous. The normal variant on the other hand with that odd orange paintjob looks quite epic.

25. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    You didn't have a vote for "None of the above"....

If I had to pick it would probably be the Mustang, since it is the smallest and lightest package. The Camaro and the Challenger are just rebodied mid-size sedans and have nothing in common with real "pony" cars. The original Mustang, Camaro and Baracuda were all based on the smaller "compact" platforms of the Falcon, the Nova and the Dart. The reason was these were smaller, lighter and made for a more sporty car. Up until this generation the Camaro was true to that model, a lighter more sporting platform.

I see nothing in the Camaro or the Challenger other than a "sporty" looking body on a heavy platform with poor weight distribution. Not interested at all, and I predict that the sales for these two will tank in a couple of years when the novelty wears off. JMHO