The how to modify & maintain your Ferrari yourself thread | Page 7 | FerrariChat

The how to modify & maintain your Ferrari yourself thread

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by andrewg, Feb 21, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. racespecferrari

racespecferrari F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea

The heater has been removed which is why I have them loose, the only problem one is approx 22mm id and the other is approximate 25-27mm id (I haven't measured precisely), what I have decided to do is go to my local ali suppliers and see if I can get an inch of aluminium round bar in the bore size of each hose, cut them three inches from wher they start and plug the hole and clamp them with a jubilee clip, this will be the easiest solution, I will only be losing about 3 pints which would hardly make any difference to cooling

2. racespecferrari

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea
    #152 racespecferrari, Oct 18, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. stevew

stevew Formula 3

Jun 9, 2002
    uk
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Nice, looks you you have a bit of a wiring job on there as well Pete.

4. racespecferrari

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea
    Its all self explanatory :), and most will be removed, I have removed nearly all of it now, its just the hazard button/switch has about 8 wires going into it which then branch off to things like the electric aerial, I will get that sorted in the next couple of days then order a piece of 4x2 ali angle for the drivers seat brackets, the passenger side are sorted as the seat isn't as wide

5. stevew

stevew Formula 3

Jun 9, 2002
    uk
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Any more developments Pete??

6. racespecferrari

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea
    Haven't been too well in the last week so I haven't hardly been out there, just need to finalise the wiring and then get the seat brackets made for the drivers side.

i've also been researching about getting an accusump

7. stevew

stevew Formula 3

Jun 9, 2002
    uk
    Full Name:
    Steve
    ?????????

8. racespecferrari

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea
  9. dell550

dell550 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2005
    London
    Full Name:
    george c
    #159 dell550, Oct 27, 2006
    Might have got carried away lightening my 308 GT4 , but hey all that roll cage should more than make up for it. I am planning to run this GT4 and GTB in next years Ferrari Open Championship , but will keep both cars just about road legal so we can have some fun on the road as well.
    Will be changing carbs for 50mm throttle bodies on the GT4 but the GTB will run 48IDF's as per the photo.

Will post more when i get some time.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. racespecferrari

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea

That'll be great when its set up, is all the body fibreglass, it reminds me of John Taylors awesome gt4

11. dell550

dell550 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2005
    London
    Full Name:
    george c
    Rear wings and roof are still steel and will remain so but doors , bonnet , boot and engine cover as well as front wings will be all fibre glass.

This car won the club championship back in 1994 (and had a few top five finishes as well) so looking forward to a competitive outing next year-

The only item i am waiting for is a dog box with sequential selection which should really make it fly round the track but i am worried that it won,t be suitable for the road as and when the madness overtakes me and I need a fix between races !!

12. racespecferrari

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea
    Who raced it back in '94?

So what will the final weight be when its finished, also who does your fibreglass work, I am interested in getting lightweight bumpers & wings etc..., or possibly a complete lift off front piece for the Mondial

13. dell550

dell550 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2005
    London
    Full Name:
    george c
    #163 dell550, Oct 28, 2006
    I did--have owned car since 1988 and its been a race car in the Ferrari owners Club championship since 1990-started off doing 3 races that year , afull season in 1991 and 1992 before finishing second in 1993 and wiining it in 1994.
    only raced sp[oradically in 1996-97 but did full year in 1998 and 1999 finishing fourth overall against 2 F40's and my brother in his 308GTB(photo attatched)

Each sucessive season saw more and more developement of the engine and chassis culminating in what you see now .

fibreglass stuff is made for me by guys whose day job is F1 - iget them to make moulds as required then modify the mould if required, for example wider or deeper arches or one piece front panel without headlamp cut outs etc.
    Let me know exactly what you need and I will see if I can help you out.

I am aiming for a final weigjht of around 1000kgs-its not too light but most of the weight will be concentrated low down and as near the center of the car as possible. We cut out the original roll cage as it was a bitsa job that was added to over the years and have gone full house with tubes to every load bearing point we could p[ossibly do as one thing we have learned over the years is taht these chassis flex a lot and the handling realy improves when the chassis is strengthened.
    The current engine is producing 380 bhp on carbsfrom 3.0 litres and we expect 400 on 50mm throttle bodies/injection and I am also developing a 3.6 litre 4 valve per cylinder engine using 360 crank and rods in a 328 block with bespoke liners and pistons and 328 heads with throttle bodies and Motech engine management.

Have been out this season in GTB but been dogged with silly little problems caused by rushing to put car together and not finishing off testing/developement programme so both cars are in shop being prepped for next season.

14. racespecferrari

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea
    I have now got all that wiring down to just six wires.

My next important job is too get the drivers seat side brackets fabricated, I picked up a length of 4 x 2 ali angle cheap as an end piece from a local ali suppliers, I have done all the measurements and am waiting for a mate to machine them up, as soon as I have them don then all wil basically fall into place, so I can get the centre carbon console fitted into the right place and then I can drill for the switches in the most convenient places

15. bob355

bob355 Rookie

Jun 21, 2006
    wokingham
    Full Name:
    bobby singh
    if ur after a sports exhaust a place called Simpsons in langley, berkshire can make u one they do all sorts of race cars.

16. racespecferrari

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea
    Is that where Homer & Bart work :D.

No seriously I do have a really noisy sports exhaust, there is a whole thread dedicated to it as I had problems with the Stainless

17. racespecferrari

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea
    #167 racespecferrari, Feb 10, 2007
    Finally I've managed to get something else done to the car, one problem I had was sorting out the seat brackets, even with a bucket seat in it still sat a bit too high (even worse with a crash helmet for trackdays), after some working out I decided to remove the seat brackets and mount the seat a lot lower across the cross bars that are there for strength, first pic is of how it was this morning, second pic is of how it is now and the third pic is showing where I will be putting lightweight brackets for the side mounted seats to fit.

As soon as i've got the seats in I will be sorting out the electrics, I have already got the wiring sorted and what goes where, its just the positioning of the switches for convenience, obviously when I'm strapped in the harness I still need to be able to reach them.

18. Andy 308GTB

Andy 308GTB F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Jun 2, 2004
    Essex, UK
    Full Name:
    Andy M
    Nice one, Pete. The 2 seat brackets you removed looked fairly sturdy, a couple more pounds shaved off the final weight?

19. racespecferrari

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea
    It wasn't the weight factor as the new brackets that will be attached to that frame will have to probably be thicker, he only difference is I can have the seat at least an inch lower maybe more, which will slightly help the balance of the car.

They were a bugger to get out as they were tack/spot welded directly to the single skin floor so I had to be careful not to damage the floor, I did end up with a series of small holes, but I could either get a friend to spot weld over them and grind them down, but I am putting a carbon kevlar sheet down inside as the floor for strength and lightness, and then I could just touch up the holes underneath with underseal.

This was the one job I was dreading.