The how to modify & maintain your Ferrari yourself thread | FerrariChat

The how to modify & maintain your Ferrari yourself thread

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by andrewg, Feb 21, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    There seem to be a growing number of UK based (or expat) Ferrari owners who are interested in modifying, racing and maintaining their cars themseleves.

Thought it would be a good idea to put all the tips, tricks & supplier details for doing this in a sticky thread in the UK section.

some suppliers for parts would be......

Ferrari UK - they have the factory's stock of old parts & make new ones
    Karl Verdi - well known to dozens of UK fchaters
    Tubistyle - for fantastic sounding exhaust pipes

www.cfsnet.co.uk/ - For Carbon, Kevlar and GRP supplies

2. racespecferrari

racespecferrari F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea
    #2 racespecferrari, Feb 21, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

I am definitely with Andrew on this one

I am trying to build my Mondial as light as possible, some will argue about they are heavy anyway and it won't make no difference.

My philosophy is that if this car handles excellent on a track in standard form then lightened it will perform better.

There are many threads that will help you 'tune' your suspension and engine tuning as well, it will be good to see a 'how to lighten your car' thread

I have contacts who will do carbon fibre work or fibreglass.

I also have been quoted £160 for a pair of race windows in perspex with sliders (see pics below), similar to what you will find on a F40Lm

By removing the glass in the doors and the window motors is a good start for lightening
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. racespecferrari

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea
    Message for andy hls, here is the website that does the windows, ask for paul, I'm not sure if he's the boss but he knows whats what, all they need is your glass as a template, however if this is for your 348 being a Ts I don't know if there will be a problem at speed with the top part not fixed

I've been trying to get hold of him but there was no answer, so you might have better luck

hope this helps pete

http://www.plastics4performance.co.uk/
    (0)1204 696 609
    [email protected]

4. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    I think this is really quite useful; I have found some weight loss going to Koni coil over shocks (the original springs are quite heavy), aftermarket muffler (again, original quite heavy) and got about 20+ pounds removing the K-jetronic fuel injection.

I would be really interested in a lightweight spare tire option (308 thin wheel or even Volvo) as well as how much weight difference is there in an aluminum radiator.

Each may not seem like much, but it does add up.

5. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    The volvo weighs about the same as the 308 spacesaver..........stuck one in a customers car as it didnt come with a spare and he didnt want to spring for a new one!

6. racespecferrari

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea

I know someone who scrapped the spare tyre altogether and opted for one of those cans with a glue inside that seals your tyre in the event of a puncture.

Mondials do handle well, I am aiming for at least an 80 Kg weight loss, so this should improve handling quite a bit

As regards to the ali radiator, I did see one of those on ebay Usa quite a while back, I was tempted but was concerned about it arriving in the Uk in one piece, I know nick Forza does them although how much they are and how much of a weight loss there is I don't know

7. racespecferrari

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea
    Do Volvo wheels fit a Ferrari, i've heard of various different wheels that apparently will fit including Vw Golf & Mondeo 5 stud

8. racespecferrari

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea
    #8 racespecferrari, Feb 22, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    That's interesting - do you have a photo? Is it an allot type like the 308 or one of those mini inflatable things? There is some 20 pounds or so of weight to be saved perhaps.
    It adds up.
    I think for a racing car the can o' goop is ok, but for frequent street use, a real wheel/tire is probably wiser.

10. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    The wheels off a Volvo 850 T5 have roughly the same offset and pcd as a mondial, we've used them a couple of times, buying aftermarket rims off ebay for customers, the only slighlty negative point is its difficult to get them in 9in width for added rubber for the rear wheels!
    The spare tyre we've used was one of the ultra thin spares same circumference but a third of the width (not an inflatable like a 911's)

11. Zertec

Zertec Formula 3

Oct 5, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clive Reed
    I am sure that I have somethings to add to this thread...

12. racespecferrari

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea

I know you stripped yours out, I am interested in your carbon fibre body, have you any idea of prices yet

13. Zertec

Zertec Formula 3

Oct 5, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clive Reed
    TVRs have the tyreweld stuff and I will be going down that route with the Mondial Z

I have one of Nick's aluminium radiators and it is very light but I don't know how much lighter than standard.

14. Zertec

Zertec Formula 3

Oct 5, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clive Reed
    I used to know Simon from Reverie when I lived in Colchester. I suggested that he modify and partially trim the cf wheel in Alcantara to make it more "comfortable", I think he now makes a version like this.

15. Zertec

Zertec Formula 3

Oct 5, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clive Reed
    It will be sensible as the moulds for the whole car will (or should) only cost me 20k quid. The shell will be bonded to the chassis (and therefore stiffen the car) which is not planned to be a DIY job.

16. racespecferrari

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea

I only bought it as I got it so cheap, but it is amazingly light, it is only 250g

17. racespecferrari

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea

How much was the radiator

18. Zertec

Zertec Formula 3

Oct 5, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clive Reed
    Can't remember. Give Nick a call and tell him I said his radiator is excellent. He is a good guy. I have also replaced the standard fans with Kenlowe 2000 units.

19. Zertec

Zertec Formula 3

Oct 5, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clive Reed
    Perhaps andrewg would do it though.

20. racespecferrari

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea

Possibly yes, I have had quite a bit of contact with him and he has been extra helpful, I'm glad the three of us aren't purists!!

21. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    Will be happy to help rebody mondy's, even though the some of the conkers lot may object. have just mentioned it to Robin in the workshop.........he seems rather keen :D

Clive will your panels sit over the exisiting body or will the old panels have to be removed?

If they've got to be removed may also need to make some simple interior panels for things like the boot etc, but its not the hardest thing to do judging by how they were originaly put together (and I know how high qaulity your stuff is!)

22. racespecferrari

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea

Thats great to know, is it very hard to remove say a rear quarter panel, and if all panels are removed aren't you left with a tubular chassis like on the 308?

23. Zertec

Zertec Formula 3

Oct 5, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clive Reed
    No point leaving the orignal body and adding weight.

This is the (simplified) operation as envisioned now. When the first one is done the process will be clearer.
    The whole outer bodyshell is removed.
    The chassis is treated for any corrosion etc.
    Flat inner panels will be replaced where neccesary or desirable by bonded in aluminium honeycomb panels.
    The new shell is bonded to the chassis, which can of course be stiffened or have the roll-over protection beefed-up.
    Paint and put back together.
    (definitely the simple version!)

The interior parts would be trimmed out here.

I intend to make as many parts as possible, e.g. inner wheelarches, undertray, front "boot" etc, so that even the worst basket case car can be brought back from the dead.

Had some interesting talks with electro-luminecent material manufacturers recently...

My wife keeps (bitterly) reminding me that I was only going to change the bumpers.

24. Zertec

Zertec Formula 3

Oct 5, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clive Reed
    Nitrousferrari,

Weight saving tip:
    When I removed the pop-up headlights I said that they were never going back on as they weigh a ton! I am replacing them with faired-in Hella bi-xenon (I am OEM with Hella).

25. Zertec

Zertec Formula 3

Oct 5, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clive Reed
    Ultimately I want to do a 3-seater version (central driving position) powered by a F355F1 drivetrain