“The Horror”...Haiti | FerrariChat

“The Horror”...Haiti

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by venusone, Jan 15, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. venusone

venusone F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    #1 venusone, Jan 15, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Know anyone there? Been anywhere like it? My studio assistant is there right now. The 17 year old son of our Medical Education CME coordinator is part of a 14 member church mission group that went to Haiti last week on routine medical trip. His crew is 20mi N of Port au Prince & has converted operation to a trauma unit flooded w/ patients brought in the beds of pickups or walking because of the 2 doctors there. The useful meds ran out yesterday. I made sure he had a new digital camera & lots of batteries for the trip but never expect this.
    Have you ever been part of a disaster?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Prugna 328

Prugna 328 Formula 3

Sep 10, 2003
    L.I.N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Gregory
    was at ground zero for 3 straight months 12-15 hrs a day after 9/11.

3. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    1 year Horn of Africa Command, just north of Somalia....

Over a year, Al Abnar province Iraq.....

Not to lessen their pain but... Haiti ant crap. (And I say that as my unit preps to deploy to Port o Prince.)

4. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    So many people don't realize just how bad it is in some many places worldwide...

What we would consider as 'civilized' or as 'livable' conditions simply do not exist in huge areas around the world...places where death and dying by the hands of others are normal, everyday occurrences...where sanitary water, and toilets are a luxury...where many children don't make it past the age of two because of non-existant neo-natal care, and a shortage of general practitioners... where 100 or more children to a classroom is normal and the class room is a room with no glass in the windows, or...no room at all.

DrS, and I, and many of the people on this board have been to a number of those places... and I can't speak for them, but for myself, I have a much greater appreciation for the comforts of my home, my family, and the high standard of living I enjoy.

My heart goes out to those displaced and suffering in Haiti. I hope there's a positive global response to the situation...

Mike in Kuwait

5. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Prayers go out to everyone in haiti.

6. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    Whats killing me is the roving rape gangs we are now getting reports of....

When we were asked to come up with our initial Basic Order of Materials (BOM) I only put down soft vests and m9s and combat knives. I just had to re do it to add hard plates and m4s. I also ordered 15 shotguns. (sigh)

7. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Thank you

Doc, please... be safe, stay smart...

8. venusone

venusone F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    From Bobby's mother this morning:
    "They arrived home at 1:55a. Exhausted and excited all at the same time. We got to bed about 4a. They sat at Port au Prince airport from 11:30a until about 7p. They got on the last transport plane for the day. Then they went to Homestead, FL via Coast Guard C130. Then on to Sav."
    At 17, Bobby was the youngest member of the missionary group. I’ve got to say I’m damn proud of him just now working in the clinic day & night all week. He did not have time to take many photos.

9. venusone

venusone F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    What part did you play?

10. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I did a job in Haiti several years ago with a local contractor. I never went to the project myself but had two employees there for a couple weeks. They told me that there is no impoverished person living in the US that has any idea what real poverty is. The day they checked into the hotel there was a dead body in the parking lot. The third day they called the authorities. A few days later somebody removed the clothing and placed a sign on a stick stuck in the bodies rectum. The day before they left for the US somebody came by and poured gasoline on the body and set it on fire.

11. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    Oh, its more fundamental than that. What's the point of neo-natal care or GPs when sewage runs down the street and water wells are contaminated and the population can't even self organize to help themselves.

Face it, we'll be in Haiti for awhile again, and then return for the next disaster. Most likely a hurricane. Haiti has been a failed state for a long time. There isn't enough money in a of Christendom to fix that crap-hole.

12. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    They can't be doing that bad - since people are well enough to loot & rape each other.

13. venusone

venusone F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    There are a few in any crowd. I'm sure your brothers were doing the same thing after Katrina. Hey, what does one do w/ a stolen VCR in a town w/ no electricity, no water, no food, no couch & no remote?