The FIA will look at IndyCar's rule | Page 4 | FerrariChat

The FIA will look at IndyCar's rule

Discussion in 'F1' started by TonyL, May 27, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Yes but then arguments would rage, it wasnt my fault Mr X ran over the kerb, threw stones on the track and i got a puncture at a critical part of the track which resulted in a red flag. team principals would be jumping up and down saying it only needed a yellow

The way a yellow flag is waved also plays a crucial role and has different meanings. The driver must slow down at the sight of a yellow flag, and double waved yellow flags indicate that the driver must be prepared to stop until the situation is resolved.

Its simply unworkable if you think about it.

When you open a can of worms to satisfy Mr Toto, other teams will demand the rule is extended to Q1 & Q2 as pole for them is a higher grid position.[/QUOTE]

Nothing to do with Toto Wolff. Adopting that rule would just bring F1 in line with other series. Toto Wolff didn't invent that rule!

Any incident during qualifs influences the outcome, and whoever brings a red flag it should not benefit from it, but have his time deleted. Very simple.

2. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    I have the strange impression here that some will not be satisfied until Mercedes does not make 100 percent of the poles and 100 percent of the victories .

fil and Bas like this.
  3. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    So you have extended this to Q1 & 2 now?

So now its any incident during qualifying AND whoever brings a red flag. I think you need to re-work the wording ;-)

What time is deleted, the one he was on or one from a previous lap or just his best time!

There are endless scenarios that would call this rule into disrepute, your just focusing on a red flag incident for someone competing for pole, what if someone like Latifi causes a red flag but hammy (or any top runner) is denied pole. Or is the rule for those just competing for pole!

4. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    +1

What if a very fast car has his lap interrupted in Q1 or Q2? Then finally when he has the chance to set a time, a red flag happens? He's still interrupted

TonyL likes this.
  5. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    #80 william, May 30, 2021
    Last edited: May 30, 2021
    Yes. during Q3 only.

I don't see why it's such a problem introducing a change for qualif, when the FIA doesn't stop changing the rules.
    They will introduce qualif races this year, they changed the qualification format several times, and the point scoring system; proof that the rules are never set in stone.
    The idea is to make qualif and racing fairer.

There are other things the FIA could also try, like the "long lap" as in MotoGP, which avoids a track limit offender to do a "drive through" in pit lane, but penalises him all the same in complete safety.
    I find that clever and efficient.

6. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Welcome back!

Bas and singletrack like this.
  7. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    #82 ingegnere, May 30, 2021
    Last edited: May 30, 2021
    Someone here REALLY didn’t swallow well that Ferrari pole. :) Or maybe is just trolling...

stavura, Bas, furoni and 1 other person like this.
  8. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    You still see red flags even with the rule. No one is going to change their approach if they change the rule, just the result would be different once adjusted for the penalty.

I hate too many stupid rules too, but this is not one that ever stuck me as such.

I wouldn’t. You can’t expect zero mistakes. But I think there has to be a penalty for ruining the show for the fans, not necessarily because it was unfair to other drivers.

fil, ingegnere and william like this.
  9. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    All good but on most normal circuits (not Monaco) it would be much easier to trigger a yellow with a spin or slow trip (or intentional beaching) through a gravel trap at no risk to the car if one wanted to intentionally sabotage a session.

As for a deliberate attempt at doing a Schumacher or Rosberg I’m pretty sure there is existing wording in the sporting rules to punish a driver so inclined.

10. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    More likely both !;)

fil, furoni and ingegnere like this.
  11. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Étouffé perhaps from emotion.

jpalmito likes this.
  12. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    What if it starts to rain during the red flag?
    What if it stops raining during the red flag?

Bas and TonyL like this.
  13. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    ???

14. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Yes Toto got so pissed he didn't knew where to turn, even little mermaid was criticizing his team...not a good weekend i suppose..perhaps Suzie put him with the dog instead!

stavura, TonyL and jpalmito like this.
  15. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I wasn't commenting on penalizing nefarious intent...I think you just do that on a case by case basis like with driving incidents. More rules for yellows, etc seems like a bad idea to me honestly. The lap deletion is for being a wanker, not an assumption it was done with intent.

Yah exactly. The FIA has pretty broad authority if someone has done something unsporting.

16. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

A yellow period isn't compatible with a timed qualif session.

Only a red flag can be used if a car crashes, is stranded on the track or presents a danger.

A lap deletion sanctionning the guilty party seems a sensible outcome of the situation.

What is regretable is that some people on this forum consider any suggestion only from a partisan point of view.

The point is not if a rule would favour Mercedes, or punish Ferrari ,(as it has been intimated), but rather if it would clarify a grey area.

Also, discussing racing issues on a Ferrarichat F1 forum doesn't make one a troll.

17. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Fair enough, though a wa.., er, poor driver, you’d expect would not be in the hunt for a great starting spot anyway. Such a rule, though, would be useful to get a poor driver to the back of the grid and avoid more potential interference in the race proper.
    Noted, but recall that all this talk of “IndyCar rule” came about as a result of some persons implying—though not explicitly and by saying such a rule would cancel the benefit of a red flag IF done intentionally—that the Monaco incident was intentional on the part of Leclerc.

jpalmito likes this.
  18. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    True, but it doesn’t change the fact that some are on here with the sole intention of trolling others.

stavura, 375+, furoni and 3 others like this.
  19. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Those that advocate extending the Q3 period, the ruling is already there, its up to the Clerk of the course to determine if the period is extended.

FIA 2021 Sporting Regulations:-

31.7 The clerk of the course may interrupt practice as often and for as long as he thinks necessary to clear the track or to allow the recovery of a car. However, only during qualifying practice will the session be extended as a result.

Simple?

William ; This is not a matter of being argumentative for no reason, the point being made by me and others is that the scenario you picture in your head is not that simple. There are countless scenarios in a incident that a one paragraph rule would not cover.

There would be uproar if a car is stranded through mechanical failure and his best time is deleted, think more of the entrants as a whole rather than a few battling for pole position.

Bas likes this.
  20. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Unfortunately William you are painting a grey area. It doesnt exist so why get out the canvas.
    Best
    tony

21. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Yes, the Q[123] was being run in a "kind of weather" and in the few minutes left, everyone had a shot at pole (next Q) in that set of conditions.
    It has been argued that adding 2-3 minutes would undo the damage that the crash setup the red flag period.
    During that period the weather could change, the track condition could change,...
    Which might make times set after the red flag incomparable to the times set before the red flag.

So, lets say it was raining and rained at the same rate through when the qualifying period was to have run.
    Now, after the red flag, the track is "greener" but since it is now dry, times after the red flag will be massively faster.

So, if you have a car that is slow in the rain and fast in the dry, all you need is for someone to bin their car, gaining a big advantage.

Vice versa also holds, where the times before the red flag are massively faster than times after the red flag.

In effect, if someone knows rain is coming they can have someone bin their car, setting up a red flag, and gaining a big advantage.

Bas and TonyL like this.
  22. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    We could say it increases the chances of cheating, the No 2 driver could be used to be the fall guy giving the No 1 a better chance of pole or climbing up the grid much more than he (or the team) would of achieved. Its a farcical idea and riddled with problems to control. Best left as it is imho but i am open to have my mind changed.

Like all rules there will be some smart arse who will find a loophole. aka the current technical regulations

william likes this.
  23. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I was actually thinking of the #2 driver on a support team (williams, Alfa Tauri, ...) giving up his position so as to advance the positions of the head team (both drivers).

TonyL likes this.
  24. rotaryrocket7

rotaryrocket7 Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2011
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I was hoping the rule referred to was moving the timing line before pit entry to eliminate the need for a slow cool down lap. Waste of time, gets cars in the way, and would allow for less fuel in the car during hot lap.

IMHO Indy car has that right on, F1 should take a look

singletrack and william like this.
  25. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Every driver gets to be a wanker sometimes; some are all the time ;) Leclerc is one of the best drivers on the grid...

Yah I don't have all the context. I just think it is a good rule based on my experience.

ingegnere and william like this.