[The F12] is the best car Maranello has ever made -- Chris Harris. | FerrariChat

[The F12] is the best car Maranello has ever made -- Chris Harris.

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by fchatid, Nov 18, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fchatid

fchatid Rookie

Jan 20, 2014
  2. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    OK. Mostly because it's a V12 and he doesn' t like the sound of the V8s.

3. qwertstnbir

qwertstnbir Formula 3

Jul 14, 2013
    Soon sound of V12 will be only good sound at Ferrari

4. Noblesse Oblige

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    It already is spectacular. Am thinking of migrating from 458 to F12 ... NA V8 days are over at Ferrari.

5. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    I bet he doesn't include the limited series hypercars though.

6. qwertstnbir

qwertstnbir Formula 3

Jul 14, 2013
    But there is one problem, Ferrari don't build unlimited cars with V12 and without roof, so F12 and FF can't be fully substituted for those who will be disappointed with V8 turbo sound

7. Noblesse Oblige

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    BTW Chris has something in his bonnet about the V8 Ferraris' sound. In this review of the California T, Ferrari California T for turbo - CHRIS HARRIS-HD - Video Dailymotion at 6:00 he argues that tooling back the V8 noise with a TT is not a bad thing because the V8s sound bad anyway. OK but then if you listen carefully he then opines that AMG V8s are "musical," a characteristic I never associated with those engines which I consider dull sounding.

Anyway I do agree that the V12s sound is magical. There really is nothing on the planet like that.

I am going downstairs to start my FF just to listen to it. :)

8. Noblesse Oblige

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Yep... and that's good. Otherwise the V12s would get even more expensive. And there will be those that will love the rubber band effect of the TT torque curve (wheee!!!). As for the roof, I am ok with one that doesn't move... but that's me.

9. Whoopsy

Whoopsy Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Well count me in as one of those that prefer the Ferrari V12 over the V8s. I am swapping my Speciale to the F12.

The V12 just makes the car feel 'special', sound, power delivery, etc.

LVP488 likes this.
  10. Noblesse Oblige

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    It looks great in white. I make the interior as ciocolato but it could be a similar brown.
    (BTW it would be nice if she took it out of auto mode; a flick of those long fingers and it will shift)

11. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I have a different take on his column.

With statements like:

"The F12 is, for me, the Ferrari road car."
    -and-
    "Don’t ask me how a front-engined 740hp Dobbin has more traction than a 600hp mid-engined example, but it does."
    -and-
    "The F12’s motor is the best road car engine on sale – if anyone disagrees with that statement, they are sadly wrong."
    -and-
    "it’s the best car Maranello has ever made"

I think he's making a statement about the car itself instead of just the sound. Of course, on this, I happen to agree!

12. simsko

simsko F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2012
    The F12 is a much more versatile option. There are only so many situations that a 458 Speciale would be comfortable for. Plus the V12 has always been the better sounding engine, no matter what generation. The 360 CS isn't particularly musical either.

13. Noblesse Oblige

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    #14 Noblesse Oblige, Nov 18, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
    True that. That's why he is good. He may get off on something like noise but he has perspective and gets to the heart of things.

BTW I think the "front engined" F12 has 54% weight on the rear wheels. Even the long wheelbase FF has 53% on the rear. These are front mid-engined cars.

14. patekswiss

patekswiss Formula 3

Mar 31, 2014
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo
    I personally agree with that last sentiment. All the stars have aligned in the F12, it's just one of those cars that's going to be a legend.

15. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Being Black listed and being denied access to new product did wonders to his allegedly "independent" mind.
    Quick transformation from speaking his mind and not shying away from undertaking "touchy" for Ferrari Spa subjects to another fanboy on the web.
    Looks like he is doing everything in his power to get back in good graces of Maranello.....
    Pathetic, IMO.

16. SciFrog

SciFrog Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2008
    USA
    My original California doesn't sound that great. My Vantage with Larini exhaust trounces it musically...

17. Whoopsy

Whoopsy Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    The Aston V8 even with factory exhaust sounds miles better than a Ferrari V8.

18. qwertstnbir

qwertstnbir Formula 3

Jul 14, 2013
    Not for long, in the future V8 engines for Aston will be delivered by AMG so get ready for another crappy turbo sound

19. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

The F12 is gorgeous.

But Chris Harris jumped the shark a long time ago. He is a blind squirrel, and now and then even a blind squirrel happens upon a nut.

20. MARMIST

MARMIST Formula 3

Jul 1, 2014

He track tested an F40 and an F50 of a fan who asked him to race them.

I DO NOT THINK that, had he wanted, he would have had troubles asking on the internet for fans to let him test their cars for one day.

21. chouch

chouch Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2008
    After a brillant LaFerrari review at Fiorano and borrowing an F12 with 4 sets of tires for a week, I dont think "black listed" applies to him anymore.
    Maybe he was black listed at some point, until someone at the factory realized he is currently producing the best Ferrari video out there.

In his California T review, which half of it it saying how terrible the old Cali was, he's not doing that much to get in the good graces of the Factory.

I find him very consistent in his reviews. He already mentioned he didn't like the V8 sound in his 458 review.
    And he always put the V12 on a pedestal in his reviews of his personal 599 and FF.

22. Noblesse Oblige

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    I agree with this. I personally like his reviews and look forward to them. Yes, there are things I disagree with from time to time but I believe that he is for real, not show biz.

23. chouch

chouch Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2008
    Yeah, I don't necessarily agree with him on everything he says, but I find his reviews true and very enjoyable to watch.
    His 458 Spider track video is just insanely fun to watch !

Also, this thread is wrong.
    He only rated the F12 2nd best Ferrari, after the LaFerrari :p

Anyway, he's now also writing on Jalopnik, and his first entry has a few details on his relationship with various factories :)
    "Chris Harris's Jalopnik Column, On Jalopnik"

24. Noblesse Oblige

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Jo Sta7 likes this.