The European Language thread/poll | Page 4 | FerrariChat

The European Language thread/poll

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Wolfgang, Mar 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Euro section language

1. Only English

2. English, but other languages possible within different threads.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Dutchman

Dutchman F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 4, 2002
    EU
    Full Name:
    Ton
    Exactly! Constructive criticism is a positive thing! :)

2. Bugattiart

Bugattiart F1 Veteran

Mar 8, 2004
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Carsten Christiansen
    Extreme thinking, yes!!!
    There can be loads and loads of threads and topics, as long as they are kept in English and equally understandable for everyone!
    Sorry if you don't see or get my point with this!!

3. Bugattiart

Bugattiart F1 Veteran

Mar 8, 2004
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Carsten Christiansen
    I really hope you see my point, I do not want to sound angry or negative, cause I'm not! :)
    What other people.....??? Are we not all Europeans, and in the same boat??? Shouldn't we all be heading the same direction with this forum/community???
    I do not want to show tolerance towards a forum with multiple languages that I don't understand, and I would have no reason to be a part of such a "community".....How can we form a community if we don't understand each other??? How can you moderate in a thread if you do not understand the language spoken there????
    I want to be tolerant towards a community where we try to discuss in a forum in a common language instead of seperating out our oppinions and posts in different language threads!

BTW: You do not get responses or votings in this thread, only because it is in English......that is a big mistake!!! Since it is a European section, you have to start a new thread in each of the European languages to get peoples reactions!!! ;):D
    Parlez Sie English sil vous please???

4. Dutchman

Dutchman F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 4, 2002
    EU
    Full Name:
    Ton
    The discussion about tolerance is a worldwide discussion that leads to many problems. Let's not get in to that situation here.

:)

5. Bugattiart

Bugattiart F1 Veteran

Mar 8, 2004
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Carsten Christiansen
    I'm only talking about the European section at Fchat, and not about worldwide politics....I don't know where you missed out!!! ;)
    If I was not a very tolerant man, I could not be living in Denmark or anywhere else in Europe! ;) :)
    In the end.....I think that we all agreed to "English" when we signed up for Fchat......at least I did, and that is part of the reason for me to state my oppinion about this matter!! :)
    This discussion actually kept me longer than usual in the Euro section!!! :D............Perhaps because it's in English!!! ;)

6. Dutchman

Dutchman F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 4, 2002
    EU
    Full Name:
    Ton
    I think that I meant to say that I wanted to avoid this discussion. Everybody is allowed to have his/her own opinion. I think that you made your point.

7. alx355gt

alx355gt F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Alexander
    Like I said before, I was leaning towards "English only" but didn't want to vote yet earlier because I can also understand the people who may like to keep "their" little language space. I believe some nice sub-groups have grown there and it would be a real shame to torn these apart :(

However, especially Carsten's posts really convinced me in the favor of English. It's true that if you've got something to share about our common passion, Ferrari, you preferably should do it in English on this board. After all, this is a international forum and it can be pretty annoying if there are some intresting facts or discussions in a language you can hardly read or not read at all. Why not share it with everyone and get to know or even make new friends in the process?
    Off course a lot in there will be chit chat, but not completely, I believe there's intresting stuff discussed in those threads regulary too!

So, if I had to choose between nice sub forums/mini community's or international friends who can enjoy the WHOLE European section without feeling left out somewhere, my final choice would stay "English only".
    Although I feel very sorry for the people who mainly contribute in the Spanish, Italian, Dutch, aso... threads... :( BTW, most of them still didn't seem to vote in here... I believe the poll will quickly and clearly turn into "multiple language allowed" if they all would do so ;) That way everything would stay the way it is now... not good or bad IMO...

All that said, the language threads still don't bother me THAT much. I stay out of the threads I can't understand and only contribute from time to time in the Dutch thread... no problem at all...

I DO believe some tolerance is needed and I don't REALLY see a problem with the current situation here... but the bottomline is... if some languages are tolerated now... you "could" end up with more separate language threads in the future... Those threads could be very difficult to moderate too... and the European com.munity feeling that was very strong once but on a very low level now... could possibly dissapear completely... :( Very sad, 'caus thanks to the English language on this board I have met many great people and friends all over Europe (and the world).

So I prefer to feel united with European and worldwide Ferrari friends in a language most of us can read and understand in our own capabilities... Not always correct, but at least we can understand each other...

8. alx355gt

alx355gt F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Alexander
    Damn', and still I hesitate to vote :(

I understand it can be annoying to see friends or people you know discuss things in languages you can't really read/write... but an "English only" forum could exclude a lot of people too and that shouldn't happen either... :(

Pfff...

9. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    Hello Wolfgang and friends. I for one have voted on allowing other languages. I am proud of my language and country and found it to be great pleasure to start a small but strong Portuguese thread (Small and Strong kinda sums up our country of Portugal ;)). It's a great way to express how proud we are in our country and display our love of cars and of course Ferrari. However, it does create a grey area when it comes to non-portuguese to participate. You are all more than welcome to join but i do understand it's hard not knowing the language.

But at the same time I do feel proud and enjoy seeing the success of other non-english threads chatting in their own thread. I may not understand, but I know how great it is.

On that note, I do not agree that if this section should become all-English that we should leave the Spanish section alone. Please understand, I have any problems whatsoever with our great neighbours in Espanha, but either we go 100% english OR nothing.

Many of my fellow Portuguese brothers have come out of the woodwork to speak about their car passion.

Please allow us to contribute in our own language and feel the passion in our own words. It's only one thread we ask for.
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92676

Just my two cents.

Hope you all have a great weekend!

Vasco

10. alx355gt

alx355gt F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Alexander
    :D I can't read or write Portuguese, but actually that doesn't matter that much, man, there are some really great pics I didn't see before in that thread!!! Very cool!!! :D It's obvious that you have a nice group there too :)

That's it! I'm NOT voting on this poll :D I obviously can't decide :D

11. ClassicFerrari

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    Vote "Other Languages" or you will NEVER see these pics again! Muahahah *evil laugh*

Heheh, just some friendly black-mailling no big deal ;)

Vasco

12. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato

You are such a whore !!

13. Dino 208gt4

Dino 208gt4 F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2003
    European Union
    Full Name:
    Roel
    I voted "English, but other languages possible within different threads" but after reading Carsten and Alex posts I think I should better vote for "English only".

Same as Alex, wanted to participate in the this poll, voted, but wasn't 100% sure which to choose. Thinking and reading all other posts I changed my mind.
    Wasn't it better in the past when we only had english treads?
    Sometimes I post in the dutch section, just because of fun. It doesn't add nothing extra to this wonderfull forum. So no problem for me to delete the duth tread. People who can't read/write english won't be found much on this "english speaking" forum.
    Lot of people in the "native language treads" aren't posting in the "english treads". So why bother? Go back to our roots: English only!!.

@Mods: possible to change my vote?;)

14. ClassicFerrari

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco

Sorry everyone, this is my Canadian friend Big_red. He means well. He basically supports a multi-lingul section right Rick!!!??? ;) Right...I thought so!

15. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    No worries, nobody offended him for this - the europeans are cool.
    But thanks a lot for your clarification which is highly appreciated.

BTW, I love people who can explain themselves very extensive things with just a few worlds ;)

16. ClassicFerrari

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco

Wow, Wolf, are you up already M8?! I just got in and I am ready to go. A few too many pints and it's time for bed.

Cheers,

Vasco

17. Dutchman

Dutchman F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 4, 2002
    EU
    Full Name:
    Ton
    Ha ha! Now it seems that everybody wants to change his/her vote. Carsten's post really stirred up something.

18. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    YES!
    I´m not kidding - what do you/we think about a NEW poll after all the first thoughts, opinions and discussions and votings?
    I recommend to close/delete the old poll and start a new voting right now.....its never too late to change your mind!

19. TinaDK

TinaDK F1 World Champ

Jun 23, 2004
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Tina Poulsen
    I'm in, though I don't wanna change my vote. Still vote for english only.
    Nothing personal, just my oppinion.

20. Bugattiart

Bugattiart F1 Veteran

Mar 8, 2004
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Carsten Christiansen
    Don't count me in on that, I will stick with my first choice of voting ;) :)
    Happy to have made a point that can shake up things a little in the community and make some people think twice! :)

21. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    Wonderful Tina:)
    Now, I m not 100% sure to vote for only english - I m 200% sure to vote: English Only!

22. Bugattiart

Bugattiart F1 Veteran

Mar 8, 2004
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Carsten Christiansen
    I second that......
    Sounds like a good idea to make a new poll, so that people could have the option to make a second and final oppinion and voting!
    I'll still stick with my "English only", but some people seems to have changed their mind after having second thoughts about this!
    I "vote" for a new poll :)

23. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    Ton Mod?
    Please!

24. Dutchman

Dutchman F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 4, 2002
    EU
    Full Name:
    Ton
    If people would change their minds in the other direction would you then also ask for a new poll? I don't think so! Ha ha!

What happens if you make a wrong vote for your national politics? You have to wait for another 4 years! Ha ha!

25. Dutchman

Dutchman F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 4, 2002
    EU
    Full Name:
    Ton
    We could start a poll to ask if people want a new poll! :)

btw you are free to start a new poll at any moment you wish. This is a free world! :D