The European Language thread/poll | Page 3 | FerrariChat

The European Language thread/poll

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Wolfgang, Mar 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Euro section language

1. Only English

2. English, but other languages possible within different threads.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    explain me Tom, it was for limited the quantities of thread, we are asking for one community or many others?
    i m feel surprise to see that UK are not intergrated in tread? it will be hard.

extradinary to see, but it s the same probleme of Europe today, be a Nation,
    with the same language, same money...changed mentalities is the most difficult to do, longer but possible.

the question is: do you want to tried yes or no?

2. Dutchman

Dutchman F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 4, 2002
    EU
    Full Name:
    Ton
    Christian,

It is not up to me! It is the people within this forum who decide what they want. Just look at me as an attentive listener. :)

3. TinaDK

TinaDK F1 World Champ

Jun 23, 2004
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Tina Poulsen
    So true Guy!! It isn't easy... and no matter the outcome... some will not be very happy... and I can't blame them.
    The ones that really can write a word of English will be eliminated , if English is the only language here... And that isn't what I like.
    And on the other hand, it's like you're saying about threads that looks interresting, but you cannot understand one word of it... that's sad too :)

Wow dilemma!! ;)

4. bob348

bob348 Formula 3

Apr 13, 2004
    Liege, Belgium
    Full Name:
    Geoffrey
    Keep it like it's now...
    In fact, it's not a problem to have different language thread...
    If you want everobody to speak toghether, you should also delete ALL the regional forum...

How many of you guys, post in main section ? (technical, showroom,...)
    Most of european only post in euro section...
    So, we have here the same problem but in another scale...

I also think that people who posted in main thread in english will continue to do it, but than some people who didn't want to post in english have now the opportunity to post in their own language...

5. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    By all means, multiple languages.

On a truly World-Wide-Web site about Italian cars and other stuff (which is usually not Italian), where English is the dominant language:

As an English speaker, reader and writer, it pleases me to sometimes see words I cannot understand. Because were I not an English speaker, reader and writer, it would frustrate me to always see words I cannot understand and try to convey my thoughts about Italian cars and other stuff (which are usually not Italian).

6. flyingboa

flyingboa Formula 3

Nov 27, 2003
    Italy/India
    Full Name:
    Eugenio
    Simon,
    If those are the choices i will stick to English only. I voted for the mixed option in the opinion that some native language could be used here and there.
    If this is not possible, please change my vote into the poll. Anyway I believe that some flexibility should be allowed. :)
    Ciao
    Eugenio

7. Dutchman

Dutchman F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 4, 2002
    EU
    Full Name:
    Ton
    Eugenio,

I think that Simon means to say that:
    1. it will all stay the same or 2. The different language threads will disappear.

Am I right Simon?

8. Dino 208gt4

Dino 208gt4 F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2003
    European Union
    Full Name:
    Roel
    voted, but wasn't an easy choice:(

9. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    More or less right.

It either stays like it is or the language threads disappear and ONLY english will be typed.

People do not want to open a thread in the euro section and then find it is written in another language.

Cheers
    Simon

10. Dutchman

Dutchman F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 4, 2002
    EU
    Full Name:
    Ton
    That IS the same isn't it? :)

11. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    I don't know, you dutch types are so difficult to understand ;)

12. flyingboa

flyingboa Formula 3

Nov 27, 2003
    Italy/India
    Full Name:
    Eugenio
    So I cannot type "ciao" any more :( ?

Ciao :)
    Eugenio

13. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    :D should I ban him Ton?

14. flyingboa

flyingboa Formula 3

Nov 27, 2003
    Italy/India
    Full Name:
    Eugenio
    Should you really ban a poor fellow emigrant? You should know how hard this condition is... :D
    Ciao
    Eugenio

15. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    Finished the voting....or what?
    10:12 is still NOT clear or 2/3.
    I hope the thread will run over the weekend and we will get more postings & votings.

16. Bugattiart

Bugattiart F1 Veteran

Mar 8, 2004
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Carsten Christiansen
    If all these different language threads will keep being allowed, an option for those of us (including me) who would not like to open a thread we do not understand, would be to stay out of the European section!!!!
    As a matter of fact, that would mean nothing or very little to me, since I am only very rare in the Euro section nowadays, since a lot if not most of the posting is in these different language threads and I do not understand these, so why be in the European section if you do not understand or talk to the people you're with!
    I would find it very welcome to have these language threads closed and remowed!
    If I could only post things that my Danish community brothers understood, then why should I be here at Fchat at all!!!
    I miss a European section where we could all be talking with each other in a language that most users understood, when they signed up in the first place!

17. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    ^^^^^^^^^^
    Very well said Carsten!
    I agree with you 100%!

18. Dutchman

Dutchman F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 4, 2002
    EU
    Full Name:
    Ton
    Carsten,

I don't know! This is a very one-sided negative approach of the Euro section. I think that the Euro section still has it's good sides too.
    It is absolutely true that it is not necessary to speak in your own native language. The main language should be (and still is) English. But I personally have no problem with the language threads. I never visit the French, Greek or the Spanish thread because I don't understand it. But I definitely don't want to take away the fun that other guys/girls have there.
    Again it is all about balance. And it is true that the balance has shifted a bit to the wrong side. It looks like people prefer the language threads more than the general threads. That is not a positive development for the Euro section.

I don't have the answer. There will always be pro's and cons for both options.

19. Bugattiart

Bugattiart F1 Veteran

Mar 8, 2004
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Carsten Christiansen
    Thanks buddy, :)

I actually thought that I was going to be flamed for stating my honest oppinion :D :)
    If we all talked our native languages only, then we would never have met buddy, and I would not want to be without any of those wonderful intercontinental and international friends that I have met through this site, only because we could all talk to each other in English!

Best regards

Carsten

20. Dutchman

Dutchman F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 4, 2002
    EU
    Full Name:
    Ton
    Dear Carsten,

But we don't speak our native languages only! If you look at the majority of the threads it is still in English. So that is not what this discussion is all about. It is about acceptance of a few language threads.

Ton

21. Bugattiart

Bugattiart F1 Veteran

Mar 8, 2004
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Carsten Christiansen
    @Ton, :)

I don't se why you find it one-sided, and I certainly don't find it negative :)
    On the contrary I find it one sided and negative that some users post in their own language instead of posting in a language that everyone had a chance to understand!
    If I have something I would like to post on Fchat, I do not mind sharing it with everyone, instead of only sharing with the people who understand my native language!

22. Bugattiart

Bugattiart F1 Veteran

Mar 8, 2004
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Carsten Christiansen
    @Ton,

I do not accept these threads, it's very simple! I find it most annoying to see posts and threads that I cannot participate in, in an English speaking forum!
    Besides, if you did not have access to threads in different languages, there would be only one alternative if you really had something on your mind.....to post it and share it with everyone, instead of only sharing with a few! Thereby you would also strengthen the community and the friendship among users IMHO!

23. zwoemba

zwoemba Formula 3

Nov 22, 2003
    If you think that way there can only be one topic on F-Chat to say everything...

Extreme thinking, I know ;)

24. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    No, not me.
    I have always respect for peoples who stand up and say loud, clearly, defined and argued their opinion! Thats what call CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM !!!
    Your opinion and thoughts are very welcome - thats my respone to you as the thread starter.

Wolfgang

25. Dutchman

Dutchman F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 4, 2002
    EU
    Full Name:
    Ton
    Words like "I do not accept" and "I find it most annoying" do not show tolerance and will definitely not contribute to a better forum.

I see your point. And I cannot say that I don't agree with you. But on the other hand I also try to understand the other people.
    The main problem is that the community is not a community anymore. It has split up in to several smaller groups. I don't think that removing the language threads will make this better. The psychology of every large group is that they split up in smaller sub-groups. And that is independend of the language that they speak. This is a fact!
    But as I said before I don't have the answer.
    Just like you I would like to see a coherent group again that is involved in nice discussions. I would almost say "just like the old days'. But I am afraid that this time is gone. There s a new fchat with different mindsets.

I liked the question of Wolfgang because it originates from mutual feeling that we share. But what has the most impact on me is that the largest group of people is not even interested to react to this thread. That is independend of the language and strikes me the most!

I stopped fighting it. I just go with the flow and try to enjoy our (in my opinion still great) section as much as I can.

Ton