The Canadian Grand Prix! | Page 13 | FerrariChat

The Canadian Grand Prix!

Discussion in 'Canada' started by hockeyman1, Apr 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wrs46

wrs46 Formula 3

May 19, 2005
    QC, CANADA (&CH, &F)
    Full Name:
    Walter
  2. Razzer92

Razzer92 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2006
    #302 Razzer92, Jun 8, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2008
    It was a good race today, good thing Robert Kubica won.

3. wrs46

wrs46 Formula 3

May 19, 2005
    QC, CANADA (&CH, &F)
    Full Name:
    Walter
    ....because Hamilton doesn't stop for red lights...:)

4. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    I learned one thing, you don't spend over $2000 over the weekend you will not have as much fun as others. Yes, $2000 is a lot to any 18 year old. The event was good though ,great racing, amazing atmosphere, amazing cars and smoking hot ladies!

5. starboy444

starboy444 F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    Was it hot enough for you?

How much was a bottle of water? 25$ ??

6. carbon_00

carbon_00 Formula Junior

May 5, 2006
    Toronto/London, UK
    Full Name:
    Scott
    For $25 I'd want one of those paddock girls pouring it over me...........and her.....and maybe her girlfriend...

7. starboy444

starboy444 F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    The last time I was at the Montreal GP was 2 years ago........it was so damn hot, I almost passed out.

I'm a CGP regular, but after that experience I said that I would never do that again.

I was at home with A/C, and an unlimited amount of ice cold beer at my fingertips.

8. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    You mean you didn't have to pay $5.75 for a small can of Budweiser? Lucky you.

9. starboy444

starboy444 F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas

I might get flamed for this.................

But going to watch the GP live is not worth it anymore. The price of gas (I used to drive, but flying is cheaper now), the heat, the crowds, the price of tickets and beer has just turned me off so much that I don't care to go to Montreal GP anymore.

I've been to the GP many times (since I was a young boy) up until 2 years ago, but that was the last time.

Watching the race live stinks now.....Call me a "poser" or "not hardcore", I don't care. The reality is that I know more about F1 than many people on this website, and am proud of it. And I don't have to watch the "circus" live just to prove it.

(I just don't like dying of heat stroke, while crammed between sweaty people while ordering a $7 Bud light.)!!!!

Don't get me wrong, I love the Montreal party, but I'd rather see the beautiful city on a non- GP weekend.

10. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    #310 PureEuroM3, Jun 9, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2008
    I'll start like this!

Buy a TDI Jetta. Four people, packed bags etc etc there and back and around in a tank and a half.

LOL, what a dumb reason. It depends on the weather, Friday the weather was so relaxing while Saturday and Sunday was smoking hot.

The atmosphere of the crowd is stunning and the amount of people is insane. I see no problem with any of that, maybe your getting old. ;)

The price of tickets is based on how many sweaty people you want near you and how close. We got cheaper tickets, section 33. Metal benches, crammed to ****, 40 minute walk from the gates and more. You get what you pay for but I expected a little better for such a upscale event.

Beer and food is always this price, any event you go to.

I am nowhere near an avid hardcore fan. I like good racing and keep track to a point, watch some races, highlights and catch who's leading the points. Would I go back, no idea. Money is a real turn off

My final verdict:
    Great racing, well worth attending atleast once if you are ANY kind of motorsport fan. The problem is to enjoy the whole weekend you need great tickets, a hotel in the downtown core and of course a group of friends/wife.

11. carbon_00

carbon_00 Formula Junior

May 5, 2006
    Toronto/London, UK
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I for one look forward to attending with my oldest boy in a few years to give him a taste of real autoracing and the fun of live events. I think its important he see the "behind the scenes" stuff, at least once.

Sure love watching it on TV for now.

Cheers

12. starboy444

starboy444 F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    #312 starboy444, Jun 9, 2008
    Thats fun if you're 18. When you're 31 you want to be in a car with the least amount of people and noise as possible! (travel in comfort)

Yes, the hot weather is great for the street parties and outdoor festivals...but while sitting in the sun for 2 hours next to 5000 people is not my idea of fun anymore.

Yes, the crowd and atmosphere is great, and Yes, I am getting old..:D:D

Yup, try paying $400 for silvers, and you still get to sit next to 5000 people. I will only go see the race if I'm lucky enough to sit in the hospitality sections. It is an upscale event, but with everything else in life...its a damn rip-off.

The party and nite life is the best part of the weekend. And yes, you need an expensive hotel to enjoy that too.

My final verdict: Great racing and great parties, but its not worth all the effort anad $ you must put in just to have a good time. Its an incredible experience, but I won't go year after year like I used to.

13. starboy444

starboy444 F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    Of course, there is no comparison to watching the race live.......every F1 fan in Canada should take the opportunity and visit the Montreal GP....its a great spectacle.

Alot of my friends/colleagues rag on me because I passed on the invitation the last 2 years.....but I will definitely take my family/children one day when I have one.

14. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Ya the price is what really leads me to debate if I will go back. Like I said if you wanna have a really good time be prepared to spend $2000-$3000 minimum.

Tickets : $395 for the weekend, that will still cram you into a grandstand.
    Hotels : Start at $500 in the core, minimum 3 night kinda deals.

You are looking at $2000 right there after said in done. That will get you an alright weekend, how you get there, what you eat, what you drink, how much she removes and more will determine your end amount. Funny I am preaching on a Ferrari Forum but for those who are young, plenty here, and looking to enjoy maybe you should shy away. Take the money go all inclusive, 5 star for a week.

15. chris marsh

chris marsh F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2005
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Chris Marsh
    I was there. $225 for 3 day race pass. Downtown hotel $370.00 night (2 people $185.00 per person). $595.00 plus meals and beer far short of $2000. Oh, plus $300.00 gas from Detroit and back but that also was split two ways.

I have always said Auto racing is one sport that is much better viewed on television but I have also said it is something you do once in your lifetime. Televion does not give the speed justice. When the F1 cars were braking for the hairpin it look liked drivers eyes should have been popping out of their heads it is just something everyone should see once in their life. Television also does not do justice to the sound absolutely unbelievable until you hear it for yourself.

16. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    #316 PureEuroM3, Jun 9, 2008
    What section, I was in 33. Its something to see of course, but would you do it again for the cost?

$225 for the 3 day pass
    $370 a night (2-3 nights?)
    $600 for food and beer
    $300 in gas
    The total of that is $1869, split of course is goes cheaper.

I am planning it next year, 4 guys seems the cheapest to go with, maybe 3. Split everything and have a good place. That way it should run $1000-$2000 per person, one weekend. It's a little pricey but hey I'm debating it the atmosphere is to die for!

17. starboy444

starboy444 F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    You are absolutey right.

I don't mean to brag, but usually my friends and I are staying at the Sheraton, which is expensive but its right in the core of the action. Therefore you are able to save many taxi trips and $$. Eating and partying is priority. If you want to hit the best resaurants, and best clubs, you could possibly spend $3000 in one night!

And if she goes all the way...add another $2000, for a grand total of $5000 !! :D

18. tmangani

tmangani Rookie

Jul 23, 2006
    Hamilton, Canada
    Full Name:
    Tony
    The thing that really pi**ed me off this year was the overkill sponsorship of Buweiser, in my opinion it was not a good fit for the fan demographics. All the bars I went to on Crecent were ONLY serving Budweiser, no taps, nothing. I had to go to little Italy to get something else.

I can understand the need for sponsorship money, but the organizers are turning the once elegant Motorsports event into a NASCAR show.

19. starboy444

starboy444 F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    +1

The Montreal GP is slowly losing its soul, and is becoming a corporate cash grab.

20. yongster

yongster Rookie

Jul 18, 2004
    Went with my 12 year old, for a "father and son" weekend. Also, to visit my friend who races in the F430 Challenge Series.

Tickets: $900
    Hotel: $2000
    Porter airlines: $800

It was nice, but will watch on TV next year.

21. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

Lucas, being a "hardcore" fan is like being a really good masturbator.

22. starboy444

starboy444 F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    Thats a pretty good analogy.

But some people still think that if you're not at the race live, you're not a true fan.

23. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

Good for them, I suppose.

(I'd rather be racing than watching.)

24. wrs46

wrs46 Formula 3

May 19, 2005
    QC, CANADA (&CH, &F)
    Full Name:
    Walter
    So what's the analogy for a "hardcore racer"??? Oh wait....I got it :)

25. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Last year it wasn't so cheap, but this year did it about as cheap as Indy. Split a $360 room, so 3 nights was $540. Tickets were $200 for 3 days and I used miles for the flight.

Now last year was painful with wife going $1,440 hotel, tickets were $600 x 2, and airfare was $700 x 2 (although used $1,000 in vouchers).

$5-8 beer really kills! :)