[Texas Race #5] AUG 1-2nd, 2009 - NASA at Texas World Speedway | FerrariChat

[Texas Race #5] AUG 1-2nd, 2009 - NASA at Texas World Speedway

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by rob lay, Aug 1, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Who said Challenge cars can't club race?

Arrived here yesterday for a little test session. Car running great thanks to Norwood Performance. Now hooked up with Hoosier for their contingency, if I'm buying $400 tires I might as well have the chance to get something back so I've switched from Pirelli.

First time on the Hoosier R100 slicks, they didn't seem to give me the same confidence as Pirelli slicks, but my lap time was 1.5 seconds faster than my time last year on this course with Pirellis. Some of the time may have been more familiarity with this course and also the top end rebuild Norwood Performance did over the winter. First two hot laps were decent, so I pulled it in. Turned out my poll time was over a second faster than the lap record I set here last year.

Super Touring 2 Qualifying
    ---
    1. Rob Lay (355 C) 1:51.273
    2. Ron Farmer (Z06) 1:52.936
    3. Ryan Logan (Cobra) 1:59.074
    4. Colin Cohen (355 C) 2:01.174
    5. Tim Konkol (Cobra) 2:03.240

5 cars in our class, but we had 30 in our race group. I held my position well on the start, Ron was all over me in his Z06 the first two laps. He made a mistake braking off a high speed straight and spun off giving me breathing room. Hoosier Contingency already paying off, the win is worth two new $400 Hoosier slicks.

Super Touring 2 Race #1
    ---
    1. Rob Lay (355 C) 1:52.485
    2. Ryan Logan (Cobra) 1:55.717
    3. Ron Farmer (Z06) 1:52.570
    4. Colin Cohen (355 C) 2:01.668
    5. Tim Konkol (Cobra) 2:02.553

2nd race of day is grid based on race 1 results. My real competition would be Ron coming from back in the field because of his poor race 1 finish. Goal was just to maintain pace and try to stay ahead to the finish. I had a great start, but so did this pesky M3 in another class and I fell in behind him. So I was about 1-2 seconds a lap faster than this M3, but he was slow in the corners and faster than me on the straights, so with only 2 laps left I was still behind the M3 at this slow pace. Sure enough Ron took advantage and had caught our pack. We will race inter-class a little if there isn't a class battle. Once Ron caught back on the M3 swung over to let Ron and I go by. Thanks allot! I was held up entire race and once my main completion caught back on he let us by. Next lap and half I took defensive lines, but not to the extent of being a jerk. He made a go several times and couldn't pull it off. Only 3 turns left to the finish and I took a mid-track defensive line, I was out of moves or it would be blocking. He tried only thing he could by going inside line and pulled it off! Passed with 3 turns left and so I finished 2nd. In the end I wasn't mad about the inter-class hold up because same sort of thing has benefited me in the past. Insult to injury Ron reset my lap record by a couple tenths.

Super Touring 2 Race #2
    ---
    1. Ron Farmer (Z06) 1:51.071
    2. Rob Lay (355 C) 1:53.382
    3. Ryan Logan (Cobra) 1:55.210
    4. Colin Cohen (355 C) 2:00.601
    5. Tim Konkol (Cobra) 2:00.531

2. speedmoore

speedmoore Formula 3
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 15, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    D Moore
    Good job Rob!

3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Sunday Qualifying over. About what I expected, I knew Ron in the Z06 was back on pace and I knew my 2nd day slicks would be a tad off. I don't think I have anything for Ron unless he makes a mistake. Doesn't take skill to win with HP down the straight, although Ron has improved much as a driver too.

Super Touring 2 - Sunday Qualifying
    ---
    1. Ron Farmer (Z06) 1:51.093
    2. Rob Lay (355 C) 1:51.727
    3. Ryan Logan (Cobra) 1:55.990
    4. Colin Cohen (355 C) 2:00.758
    5. Tim Konkol (Cobra) 2:03.266

4. redcar1

redcar1 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    austin, tx
    Full Name:
    Mark
    WOW! Rob, those are very good lap times. Sorry I couldn't be there. I would not have expected to go that quick, even in my 'cheater' car.

The Hoosier R100s must not be too bad. I'm going to try and do a back to back test.

I hope to make ECR with you guys in October. You and your car will be tough to match.

See you soon,

Mark

5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Back home now. Pulling an enclosed bumper pull trailer in Sunday night stop & go highway traffic is always more difficult than the racing. :D

First race of today went as I expected. Ron got distance on me and I had distance on 3rd, so I had fun with a car from another class. Ron continued to improve down to low 49's. That was a little expected as he had gone 49's on this course in March opposite direction. 1 more Hoosier slick to save the budget.

Super Touring 2 - Sunday Race #1
    ---
    1. Ron Farmer (Z06) 1:49.394
    2. Rob Lay (355 C) 1:52.377
    3. Colin Cohen (355 C) 1:58.526
    4. Tim Konkol (Cobra) 2:00.742
    5. Ryan Logan (Cobra) 1:57.488/DNF

After qualifying this morning I asked Colin if he would want to ride right seat with me in a DE group to see my lines. He was game and things were going well until 3rd lap when I got gas cutout. Car started stumbling, gas light on, and gas gauge showing 1/4 full. I didn't think much of it although I've never had this happen before, just assumed tank was low although I had run it down lower before with no stumbling. The car didn't stumble at all in the first race. Second race with tanks 3/4 full I got really bad cut out on 2nd lap and had to limp it in. I don't know what it is yet, some type of fuel pickup I imagine. Norwoods will be getting a call first thing in the morning.

Super Touring 2 - Sunday Race #2
    ---
    1. Ron Farmer (Z06) 1:49.368
    2. Colin Cohen (355 C) 1:58.126
    3. Tim Konkol (Cobra) 2:00.244
    4. Rob Lay (355 C) 2:00.762/DNF
    5. Ryan Logan (Cobra) 2:44.695/DNF

Later in the week I should have a CD of the pro pictures taken.

6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Naa, it will still be same as last year with you a couple seconds faster. :) Your car isn't cheating, just using all the rules where mine can still handle 200# weight decrease, aero, and adjustable shocks. Both Colin and I weighed around 3275# at tech. I don't think Ron is doing Eagles Canyon, I would love to see you guys go at it since he's now 1-2 seconds faster than me.

7. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
  8. lil squid

lil squid F1 Veteran

Dec 3, 2007
    Houston TX
    Full Name:
    Yuliya
    Next time you need an umbrella girl, just give me a little advance warning! :) TWS together with MSR Houston are my home tracks, did I miss a thread in the Texas forum?

PS And why are you all going the wrong way?!?!

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    This is the RIGHT way, of course we go the most common LEFT way in the March race. :D Much cooler at the March race too.

10. lil squid

lil squid F1 Veteran

Dec 3, 2007
    Houston TX
    Full Name:
    Yuliya
    You go WFO down the straight and then into the tight chicane?! You car guys are nuts! Hope you got good brakes.. LOL :D I've put many hundreds of motorcycle laps on this track between track days and CMRA endurance racing, but never in my wildest dreams imagined someone crazy enough to go clockwise lol

11. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    well, I would say the crazy to sane ratio is 2 to 8. I'm one of the 2 and it is a huge advantage over those off the throttle coasting along still on the oval. I have only run the 2.9 CW twice now, but have 9 years experience doing that corner as SCCA does the 1.8 CW. I figure out most corners in a weekend, it took me at least 5 years to consistently go in there deep, see God, surprised to see the car gathered up before shooting off the back side, and then most importantly lined up on the right so that you could maintain throttle through the left and right all the way around to the carousel. To be honest I’m older, wiser, and a father now. Only the 10% of the time with a hot qualifying lap or in full on podium battle do I still do that. Reward to risk too low, but fun when you nail it.

12. lil squid

lil squid F1 Veteran

Dec 3, 2007
    Houston TX
    Full Name:
    Yuliya
    I would have liked to have seen that. Ping me next time you're out here.