Testarossa - How many miles is too many? When do big problems start? | FerrariChat

Testarossa - How many miles is too many? When do big problems start?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by stewartjp, Jun 29, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stewartjp

stewartjp Rookie

Jun 16, 2021
    Melbourne Australia
    Full Name:
    Stewart Perry
    Hi Everyone,

I know I am a little late to the party, but I am getting started looking for a Testarossa to use as a driver.

I see lots of cars with 20-40k miles on them, and I also see a few with 60-80k miles, which are what I can realistically afford, given I want to drive and put miles on the car the higher mileage cars seem like the right choice for me.

The question I have is how many miles is too many? When roughly do engines and gearboxes wear out and need a rebuild? When do major costs start coming up, more than regular maintenance and failures?

Many Thanks

Stewart

2. Zeff

Zeff Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2018
    Cupertino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Realistically it’s going to be mostly based on the condition of the car and it’s maintenance history. If you find a car in exceptional condition with higher miles 50-60k you would have a nice driver that you could just put miles on. There are folks here that have high mileage and have dependable cars. Funny thing is I just bought a newer Porsche turbo with 11k miles and the check engine light came on over this past weekend. My tr has more miles than that and has never given me a problem. The Porsche come to find out needs new dynamic engine mounts installed for about 4K. Pretty lame for a car that’s suppose to be really dependable. Make sure and get a qualified mechanic to detail the condition of the car for you before purchase is your best bet.

3. stewartjp

stewartjp Rookie

Jun 16, 2021
    Melbourne Australia
    Full Name:
    Stewart Perry
    Thanks Zeff, great to hear, how many miles does your TR have on it?

4. V4NG0

V4NG0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Charles Edward Cheese
    Mileage is just a proxy indicator for condition, but it becomes an increasingly poor one as a car ages. TRs are now 35+ years old in some cases.

There is no such thing as “too many miles” on these cars. It’s only a matter of condition.

Do a visual inspection, run tests, and examine the service receipts but try not to let the mileage shown on the odometer overly influence you.

5. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    I bought my car 7 years ago with 74,000 miles on it. Now it has about 95,000 miles. If it weren't for Michigan winters I'd be well over 100k for sure.

As far as maintenance, I do the same stuff everybody else here is doing with their ultra low mileage TRs. Clutches, brakes, belts, oil changes, transmission oil changes, A/C, coolant hoses, thermostats, fuse boards, tires, etc...

The only thing I haven't done is paint/body fixes, which most of the low mileage cars don't have an issue with.

6. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    I agree. My 512 has 43,000 and 90 % of my fixes have been time related not mileage. Also a lot of work to fix ****ty work by previous shops and owners!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

7. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    those engines are bulletproof and 150.000 miles should be no problem

8. stewartjp

stewartjp Rookie

Jun 16, 2021
    Melbourne Australia
    Full Name:
    Stewart Perry
    Thanks Everyone, I really appreciate all your feedback!

I am feeling a lot better about buying a car with some miles on it, and not needing to plan for a $50k engine rebuild any time soon :) (I know on any Testarossa, I will have a number of maintenance items to do).

9. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Must have been no mouse belts that tipped it over the top!