Testarossa advice sought by newbie | FerrariChat

Testarossa advice sought by newbie

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by miamivice, May 30, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. miamivice

miamivice Rookie

May 30, 2004
    North Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Michael Coates
    Hi everyone,

Just found this site and thought I'd register.

OK, by my chosen user name you probably need no introduction into which Ferrari I desire! It has been a dream of mine ever since the TV series and now I'm a bit older and earning money that dream is coming ever closer.

So, my question to everyone is - what is the Testarossa like to live with? I know it's absolutely huge, so really only at home on wide open roads, and without power steering it is not the first choice as a town car! Basically, I just want to know what the running costs are. I've asked dealers, but I really want to know from owners. Also, does anyone drive with the single mirror version? I think it looks better than the twin-mirror version, but is it a nightmare in normal use, reversing, etc?

Many thanks for any advice.

2. sshorty

sshorty Karting

May 23, 2004
    Independence, KY
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I'm of no help to you as I don't own one, but did look into buying an early one a few years back..I personally like the twin mirror models, I believe from '88 and up, and absolutely love the 512TR models especially the 512M...sick cars....hope you get responses from many people on here that own them...

PS: From what I did some reading and research on, when you do buy one, it's worth the extra money to have a complete history car with all books and records of everything. If you get a car with no history, who knows what you are getting into....and the servicing of the Testarossa isnt cheap either.

Good Luck!!!

3. normhuff

normhuff Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2003
    Peoria, IL
    Full Name:
    J. Norman Huff, Esq.
    I’ve always preferred a twin-mirrored, five-lugnut wheel model year, but to each their own as they say. I’ve had my ’90 TR for five years, and the car has always been a pleasure to drive. I’m not technically inclined enough to work on the car myself, and I can only speak from my own personal experience. I’ve always taken it to a Chicago-area authorized dealer. The latest maintenance was performed a couple months ago, and they charged $119/hour to work on the car. They recommend changing the fluids every year, which is a six-hour job that runs around $800-$900. I had the timing belts replaced at 30k miles, and that cost about $7k. 93 octane fuel in my neck of the woods is running around $2.30/gallon, so that is something that should also be considered for a car rated around 10/15 MPG. Insurance rates vary widely depending on where you’re located, so you’d have to contact a local agent for a quote there. The only other work performed on the car I can think of right off was a seat belt recall where the dealer replaced the original, worthless passive restraints free of charge. I’m sure there’s information in the Technical Q&A forum that can be helpful also. I know ‘affordable’ is a relative term, but once you actually possess the car, I would consider it to be an affordable car in terms of running costs IMO…

4. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    The car IS big but does not feel that big once you are driving it. As far as power steering goes, that keeps your wife from wanting to drive it. My '89 is the most awesome car that I have ever owned, I love it. I cannot now imagine myself with any other model (except maybe a 512).

5. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    i've never owned one (but i'll open my big mouth anyway:D)...

Norm is right about taking into consideration the gas expenses, insurance, etcetera and so forth; they're not huge expenses, comparatively, but they do add up... Records, books & tools are nearly a must if you want to sleep at night; just for the sake of avoiding aggravation, getting a car that's already had the seatbelt recall done is a good idea but not a big deal...

Aside from reiterating what everyone else has said, i can tell you that they're temperamental cars... They need coaxing and gentleness before they'll let you push them to the limit... Let it sit and expect problems; drive it regularly and everything should be fine... If comfortability is your big thing, driving it through town or doing any local stop-and-go driving probably won't be your cup of tea, but the only thing i don't like about Testarossas (no matter how long i've driven one) is eventually having to get out, 'cause the ride is over... i'm sure once you get one, you won't be disappointed...

Make sure to get a PPI (pre purchase inspection) on any car you're seriously considering purchasing; an independent mechanic is really the only, unbiased way to go... You can find plenty of Testarossas on sale in the classifieds section of The Ferrari Market Letter... You can also follow the asking prices of Testarossas as well as other models with their Asking Price Index...

Good luck, keep us posted on how things go and welcome to FerrariChat... :)

6. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    Is a easy car to drive fast but you got to know mid engine cars before pushing very hard, mine was my everyday driver for 5 years. I bought a '88 with 7,000 miles and drove it to 40,000= miles, very reliable and easy to drive even in traffic jams, no power steering is a plus because the steering is light and less things to fix, the clucth is of short travel and easy on your heel also extremely easy to heel and toe, the best looks you can get for the money, but you should know that I bought mine with all books and records from a Ferrari dealer and with the 15,000 mile service included and the tubi too so it was sweet. The only thing was that I like to keep my cars perfect and it cost me close to $30,000 to run my car and those are the maintenance costs and keeping things they way it should be, at my 30,000 mile service I discovered that my motor was in place by only to nuts!!! and because the previous owner didnt really kept the car the way Ferrari means then it cost me over $12,000 that major service and thats without the clutch replaced, the clutch was another $3,500 and thats because the dealer likes me. But go ahead and by one because or as many as you like, we never see a brinks truck following a funeral.

7. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I just recently sold my 87 TR. I had it for 11 years and found that it was a great car. It never let me down. I had driven it accross the country, track events and everyday driving.

As far as service goes...if you want to be ripped off....go to the dealer! The best thing you can do is do your own work....it's not all that hard....if you just take your time. During the course of my ownership I had done one major and I had the dealer do another (BIG mistake!). When I did the service it cost me about $1200 in parts and took me several weeks to finish. When I had the dealer do it...it cost me $5300 and they screwed it up...costing me an additional $8000 as they backpeddled and lied so as not to take responsibility. The dealer was Scottsdale Ferrari.

I did a clutch myself as well....$1300 in parts and a weekend to finish.

Insurance ran about a $1000/yr for full coverage.

So, other than letting Scottsdale Ferrari have their way with my car and my wallet it was a great car!

8. tr328

tr328 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2003
    Pacifica, California
    Full Name:
    Darryl
    I have had my Testarossa for a little over 2 years now. I had the transmission rebuilt at $17,005. This included a few other things while the engine was out, but the major cost was on the transmission. Make sure you get records. Beware, cost of owning a TR can be very expensive. The major service is not for faint at heart. All in all, it is the best value for the price.

9. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    you are only here once just buy the newest one you can afford dont lay in the coffin thinking i wish just do it prefferbly 1988 on as the single mirror car has the metric tyres on and they are expensive as i have had 3 i now have the f512m my opinion is this is the last proper car ferrari made after the 2nd tr i bought a 355 wow biggest mistake i hade ever made hated it not a patch on the tr

10. Tuco

Tuco Karting

Mar 10, 2004
    Texas
    If your wallet can take the extra hit consider a 512TR, It,s a MUCH better car from a performance, chassis, and reliability standpoint. Providing you do a PPI on the respective car. Of course I,m biased but I believe the TR series are elegance and evilness in their aesthetics. Especially in black. I agree in that buy the most expensive car you can afford. Maintain it properly. and put a Tubi Exhaust on it. A flat 12 with this system provides a sound that is as exotic as the car itself. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
    P.S. "Crocketts white TR was the first one I ever saw. Was,nt it awesome!!"

11. pwongd

pwongd Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Thailand
    Full Name:
    pwongd
    I'm also thinking about getting a '94 512TR, if all things go right! It's a black on black. Timing belt has been changed, the dealer will perform all fluid changes and air filter change. The tires are all new. Is there anything else I should negotiate for? Any help will be appreciated.

12. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    They're fairly tough cars, but clutches are easily killed if shunted around in showrooms etc for ages. So check the clutch for slipping under load in 3rd/4th gear is best.

I agree...get the newest best one you can possibly find. Condition is the priority, then history. But beware of "owner serviced TR cars..."

Its nice that you can do things at home on these cars....but you can't have it both ways. Reputable names important for major servicing/repairs, or adjust the price accordingly.

13. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Welcome Michael, I own two 512TRs, thats the 2nd Gen TR. I think its the most beautiful road Ferrari ever built & 1 of the best looking cars of any marque.
    On the road she makes a big impression, people everywhere stare as if you were walking down the street w Jessica Simpson in a bikini :)
    The power is very nice :)
    a major engine out service can easily cost $8k,
    $300 + oil changes, etc, shes not cheap to maintain but shes worth it :)
    Good luck

14. miamivice

miamivice Rookie

May 30, 2004
    North Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Michael Coates
    Thanks everyone for their kind advice and words of encouragement.

Well, it gives food for thought - think I'll give the dealers a miss for servicing then!

I'll be posting on here from time to time, one thing about it - every day I know I'm getting closer to achieving my dream!

15. NathanConway

NathanConway Rookie

May 5, 2004
    Malvern
    Full Name:
    Nathan Conway
    I put a deposit on 1987 model testarossa which was written off by the dealer on its way to be serviced! got my money back and found a mint 1988 model much better condition for a couple of grand more. Spent £120 on petrol going for a 400 mile drive but the looks people give you make it worth it! The major service with belts changed costs around £1500 from a none franchised Ferrari dealer (the mechanics at my local dealer worked for franchised dealers in the 1990's so they know about these cars.) bought rear brake pads couple of weeks back £15 for both sides! Go get one

16. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004

I'd like to know the full scoop on what they did. 8k, ouch.