Test Drive: Ferrari Racing Legends *MY REVIEW* | FerrariChat

Test Drive: Ferrari Racing Legends *MY REVIEW*

Discussion in 'Technology' started by MisterMaranello, Aug 3, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MisterMaranello

MisterMaranello F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    I have now been playing this new game on the PS3 for a few hours, and there are a few things I'd like to say which I think most potential buyers or gamers will find useful. I think to understand this game you have to take it as it is. It's not a simulator, it's a cheesy arcade made to give extra cash to the developers and raise awareness of the Ferrari brand to younger generations. The whole game seems somewhat of a "lunchtime effort", made from spare bits of other games, just to but something out there. It feels like I've been sent a beta-copy of the game, it feel's very incomplete... I really do struggle to see the customer group for this game, because most arcade racers are interested in a variety of cars and makes in a game, not just one. Other than the base of people who just buy stuff because it say's Ferrari on them (aka me) I don't understand why someone would pay for this game which feel's 2-3 years old.

Firstly, the negative:

-Physics are appalling, all cars handle like boats and have a sort of two-stage twitch when you turn in, suddenly the car jolts halfway into a corner and washes out. I have driven several of the cars in-game in real life as well, and there was 0% of the driving that even remotely reminded me of the real experience.

-The game is very "squared". I.e. you do the campaign and unlock cars, that's it.

-The campaign mode is extremely tedious and long. Over 100 missions on each level, which there are 3 of. Most of the missions are boring, and add very little spice to the game, right from the start, they feel like a chore required to unlock cars for free racing and time trail.

-The online mode is a joke, you don't race other people, you race AI. (wtf?) I do think it is possible to race other real players but I never found any. Perhaps this has to do with the games very low key release.

-Graphics feel a bit dated. If anyone remembers the old game (Ferrari Virtual Race or something, not the FVA) on Ferrari.com this reminds me very much of it. The scenery is acceptable for 2012, but it lacks a lot of trackside details, and depth. I felt like all I was doing was either racing around in an open field or in some woods. The cars are ok, and they all have interior, especially the classics are very neatly done. However the newer cars feel somewhat neglected graphics wise, as the older cars are definitely better both inside and out.

-Lack of tuning and options. You cannot choose wether to have ABS, TC etc. on or off. The only thing you can chose is to have auto or manual gears, and mph/kmh. There are 3 driving modes, with slight alterations in physics for each level; novice, normal and pro. The higher level you choose, the fewer aid's are selected, but you cannot for instance have ABS on in pro, or tc off in normal. It's absolutely horrendous that simple tuning like this is not available on a game in 2012. Heck, my old PS1 games let me choose this! The only buttons you have while racing are gears, change of view, rear view and HUD on/off + handbrake, which doesn't really work because of the horrible physics.

-Weird preset's. My Logitech DFGT was completely unusable first time I tried the game, brake and throttle lag, steering was way off etc. I checked the controls section and found out the game had automatically found my wheel and gone into "DFGT mode" as I call it. Even though it had mapped all buttons correctly and so on, I had to do a lot of tuning to make it feel ok. The throttle still has an awkward deadzone even though it's set to zero. (This is not a hardware problem, it works fine elsewhere), the brakes also lag when you apply 100%, the car will do the two-stage jolt just like the steering.

Now, the POSITIVE!

-Graphics, some of the cars in the game are really nice to look at, and that's a big part of this game. Kudos to whoever made the interiors, because they are great.

-Variety and range of models. This game really is a big boost from the Pirelli one, which sucked. There is a huge range of cars, from F1 to 458, to the first Ferrari ever made. This does give the game more of drive, as there are many cars to try out. I think the selection chosen by the producers is spot on, as the game doesn't feature every single F ever made, but it features a lot of "highlights" and cars that aren't normally seen in any game. (308 for example.) This I believe is the main selling point of the game along with all the historical tracks which aren't found elsewhere.

-Circuits. The game also as a lot of circuits and variations (51 to be exact), and especially good is the fact that it has a lot of now disbanded circuits like the original Monza. The tracks are all fairly well detailed, but it does vary a lot.

-AI. The AI is well above average, even though it's still too slow in the hardest level. But that's something universal for all console racing games, so you can't really fault it there. The AI is very unpredicable, and make lot's of mistake. To be honest, they all feel like lunatics on steroid's! They LOVE bumping, and they try to overtake eachother and draft like crazy. The developers truly deserve a pat on the back for creating AI which doesn't act like a Jane Austin novel!

-Menu music. Now I know some critics have complained about sayings it's dreary and annoying, but I really like the menu music, it's very heroical and has a saga-style feel to it, which suit's this game perfectly.

-Sepia to real life. One of the absolute coolest features on this game (not that here are to many..) As you start a race or a session in an old car, everything is in a sepia tone with film scratches and so on. This stay's on for a few seconds then gradually fades into true color, and the sepia returns when you cross the finish line. I love it!

-Sound. The sound is good for a video game, there is variation and it doesn't sound digital.

To summarize, I think this game is a 5/10. Even though there is a lot that should have been done better and improved, it does fairly well as an entertaining arcade game. Because that's what it is, it's like a stupid dog that runs after a ball every time you throw it. However it does NOT bring you anywhere remotely close to "experiencing the Ferrari Dream" as it says on the back...

2. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    I think it depends on what you expected. I expected a historical tour through Ferrari cars and obsolete race tracks that wouldn't compare to Forza or GT5 as a driver...more a novelty game. What I got was much better than expected. I don't have the same issues with the driving, though at first I tried to carry speed in the corners and the game punishes you for that. Once I controlled my speed going into corners, it became much easier.

I also like the campaign mode. It forces you to spend time perfecting each particular car, since nome of them drives the same. I can understand the frustration for those who want instant access to a particular car though and don't want to be burdened with sequential completion (though you can jump between eras). As far as it being an arcade game, oddly enough, half the critics say it's a super-hard sim while others agree with your take. I guess you get what you see in this case.

Regardless of your disdain, spend some more time with it. If you can adjust to how it wants you to approach driving, you just might have a little fun. Others, hell, everyone I know who has it felt the same as you initially.

3. MisterMaranello

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    I didn't expect this game to be realistic. I expect a fun and simple, yet entertaining mediocre arcade game, just like the Test Drive series always has been. I disagree with you on the physics, because if you actually want to tackle the corners realistic you would have to be going at 30 mph even in a 5th gear corner... I find the steering the hardest bit, because it's so unrefined and rough, suddenly you're racing of track into the gravel even though you haven't overdone it or flown into the corner. Furthermore do not whatsoever have any problem with content being locked, that's part of the game, it's drive and any critic who criticizes must be a complete tool, because what on earth would be the point of the game?

Lol to any critic calling this a sim, they must have never left their mom's kitchen nor been in the drivers seat of any car... It reminds me of boating and probably has a stronger resemblance to docking a space ship than thrashing a Ferrari around a circuit..

And as far as evolution goes, this is A HUGE LEAP forward from the Pirelli game, amen to that! :)

4. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    I'd say to play it a little more still. I hated the steering off the bat, but I was able to figure it out after a while. For example, the track I've always hated in games is Spa because it feels like there is no way to drive it while going fast. Not only can I get around it fast in this game (currently using the 333sp), I am able to trail the AI inches from the bumper and pass in one of the (many) corners without making contact (now THAT is normally a problem on every game I've played). Once you nail the balance between brake/throttle into a corner, the game is much more manueverable. I fully understand what you're saying, but much like Str8shooter, you will be rewarded if you stick with it (he was ready to toss his copy after the first few hours)

Some of the cars do drive like 4 wheeled boats (hello 365 GTC), but that's probably true in real life. The good ones really let you feel like you're throwing it around though.

Only a Ferrari fan will have the patience to pay the entry price to enjoy this game, but once I did I really came to like it as a racer (versus simply a novelty)

5. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Your review sounds pretty similar to everyone else's review :eek:

Both 360/PS3 metacritic scores are in the low 60's. The highest review is a 71.

As I mentioned in the other thread. Not worth buying full price but I'll get it in a bargain bin :eek:

Ohh the lack of tuning options was actually because of the licence deal with Ferrari.

ricksb seems like the only person that really loves this game :eek:

6. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Me and Str8shooter are the only ones who have played it. Both of us enjoy it, but you have to put the time in. Honestly, it's the only driving game I'm playing right now (among Forza 4, GT5 and F1 2011)

Critics' opinions don't mean anything to me...I find them very unreliable.

7. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    I've put in 14 hours of actual gameplay so far and I'm not quite half way through the Campaign. It has been worth every penny and I eagerly anticipate what I unlock next :D

Laugh if you want but I say this game is much more sim than arcade.

Every car drives different and even though I haven't driven any in real life I'm willing to bet they drive SIMilar to their real life counterparts. Right now I'm driving a tail happy F40 which drives and sounds completely different than the 512BB. It would be fun to have a Ferrari expert sit on my couch blindfolded and see if he could guess the model Ferrari I'm driving just by the sound. I think they would do very well because the sound is just that good.

I love getting to drive all the tracks I don't get in Forza. I marvel at those tracks and they way it feels when I muscle an open wheel Ferrari around the turns. Many many times I've had to fly by the seat of my pants in order to complete the task at hand and I come closer to understanding what the drivers of that era encountered. It makes the game for me.

I'm sure this game had a low budget for development based on projected sales. In no way do they believe they will compete with Forza or GT5. They created a niche and do what they can do and still be profitable. I hope they do well enough to tun out something better next time. It's hard to find fault in them when they have little to work with compared to the top sellers.

It would be fantastic if they had Forza like graphics and an Autovista mode for every Ferrari in the game. I could spend hours just in that. They didn't leave it out. Its just not in the budget. While there is a story line that you read that explains your path up the ladder it would have been nice to have a cut scene to watch as you wipe your brow after some intensive racing but its not in the budget. I can't fault them for that.

What they do really well is offer a Ferrari selection more extensive than any other game. They have some really great tracks many of which are very important to the history of Ferrari. Complete the campaign and you will have had the experience of test driving the best ferrari has to offer. What's not to like about that :)

8. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Sounds more like a movie experience than a game then (graphics, music and menus are your positive). I was sure they would **** up the handling..Id rather watch pictures on flickr..

9. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I'll let you know if I'm ever able to download it.

10. MisterMaranello

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    I beg to differ on all this. The sound is different but not THAT good, it's a fresh taste compared to GT5 which is just sad. But compared to any PC-sim the sounds are not on par. They are different but you can hear that it's a generic sound that they've just changed the perimeters on to create the difference. (I.e. record from one model, change the pitch, modulation etc. to fit a similar car). And I DO NOT want to seem snob or boasting, but I've driven over 20 different Ferrari's (I know that there are lots of people on these forums which have driven way more than that, but I'm talking from MY experience here). Because of the "boaty" feel of all the cars the real life resemblance is non-existant for me. Yes, they do handle differently, but it does not remind me of any real Ferrari at all. The base on which the physics is built on is just to far off, unfortunately.

I don't mean to be rude or patronizing, but do you have experience on proper sims like rFactor, GTR2 etc.?

11. ShaiHulud

ShaiHulud Karting

Oct 10, 2006
    Zürich / Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Sarah Roth
    I have. And I also have a G27 Wheel. And I have at least real life experience with one of the cars I've driven in TDFRL and it was pretty much spot on.

But I think there are some problems. My experience was with a car that came without any electronic aids, and I don't think the engine can really realistically simulate the driving aids of the modern cars. Than there is the lack of "communication" with a virtual car. I had the experience once with Forza 2, where I drove a car I know from real life, than with the bad XBox 360 wheel from Microsoft and at first had the feeling it was completely unrealistic and nowhere as well handling as in real life (the 944 Turbo). But than I tried to concentrate and drive the car like I would drive my own ignoring the lack of feel and suddenly I had the best times, better than any other car I tried (and the 944 is not exactly the fastest ingame car).
    There is another game where I read a lot of complaings that the cars feel like they are driving on soap: Grand Prix Legends. Yet I've seen Lets Plays where people actually got laptimes around those of said Legends which would simply not be possible if the cars would handle that much worse.
    And the engine makes itself an easy target, as it behaves strange when you crash or leave the track, but if you stay clear of any contact it is not that bad. If I should weigh Arcade vs. Sim I'd say its about 80% sim.

I actually like the game, but I wouldn't recommend it, because you really have to be a fan of the brand to ignore the flaws and after I tested it I waited until the price dropped and steam had a sale before I bought it pretty cheap.

12. Chewys5

Chewys5 Formula 3
    Miami 2018 Owner

May 17, 2010
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn R
    We race on ps3 gt5,gt6 Ferrari challenge, dirt3 Wednesday nights at 6pm central. We have members all across the country and would enjoy a few more. So hit me up if you guys can join in. My screen name is Chewysferrari. SHOCKER RIGHT?!? Lol.