Tesla Model 3 - Make or Break ?? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Tesla Model 3 - Make or Break ??

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by F2003-GA, Feb 4, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    As history has shown with other companies, a very very very long time.

2. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    the next thing tesla needs to do in order to compete more effectively imo, is a better looking series of cars.

toyota will cover the lower end of the car segment and compete with the model 3.
    but mercedes and bmw will try to compete at all parts of the spectrum - the model 3 will compete with their version of the lower end.
    where tesla needs to break out is a much cooler looking car than the germans - a la karma.
    lets be honest, if tesla could offer his technology, in a car that looked as good as the karma, he would not be worried about mercedes and bmw or porsche etc.

in the luxury segment its about competence, performance, and looks. he has the first two easily, he just needs to get a WOW design now.

3. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    And he's getting a gift from MBZ, BMW, and even Porsche; their first entries are little more than warmed-over existing designs......nothing really new, just some frosting. If Tesla could discipline themselves a bit, they could create a sexy new image and gain another bit (or more) of time over the competition...

4. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Simple. Toyota hung around long enough to figure out these guys could screw up a wet dream. Oh, and all those charging stations? Toyota apparently has a battery that will not need them. I suggest you do some research on a company called, Nortel. They were going to take over the world with fiber optics. Too bad this thing called wireless sprung up.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

F2003-GA likes this.
  5. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    After reading all this thread, you guys need to push back from the table. My guess is that within 20 years, absent national jingoism, there will only be one major car company. By then, the only cars allowed in every major urban area in the world will be autonomous pods powered by zero emissions engines. And, when I say zero emissions, I mean from the factory to the tailpipe to the scrapyard. Yes, there will be boutique car companies, like Ferrari, who make low volume fun cars. But the pod market will belong to the lowest rock bottom producer. Keep in mind, a Pod will probably last 20 years before needing replacement. If I was a betting man, and I’m not, I’d bet that one car company will be Toyota.

Ps Tesla keeps being touted as a good stock investment, even though it may go bankrupt. Do you guys know what happens to shareholders in bankruptcy? Hell, even the bond holders got screwed in the GM bankruptcy. I could be wrong, but I think some of you are confusing your positive take on the cars or Musk with making a prudent investment. Personally, I like Musk. But that doesn’t mean I’d buy the stock.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I don't know what Toyota is doing, but Renault, Nissan, and Mitsubishi recently invested in this company during Series C financing. I hope it works out. They have some videos of their batteries being shot with guns while still powering their devices, LOL. That's pretty great.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-02-07/tech-guru-bill-joy-s-ionic-battery-venture-raises-65-million

7. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

#107 Tcar, Feb 10, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    That's funny.... Renault, Nissan and Mitsubishi are all the same company, not 3 companies... Renault.

Nissan Leaf and Renault Zoe are basically the same car.

8. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    They are 3 companies that act as an alliance as far as I know and were not the result of mergers and are not 1 company. For example, Mitsubishi owns 2/3 of Mitsubishi Motors and Nissan owns 1/3. Nissan and Renault are also not the same company, but do own a small percentage of one another. They are not managed by 1 umbrella company or by 1 of the three.

9. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Who is Carlos Ghosn?

Chairman and CEO of Renault, Nissan and Mitsubishi. He runs the show, regardless of stock percentages.

Nissan and Mitsu were both BK until Renault took over.

F2003-GA likes this.
  10. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    It is to my knowledge an alliance. Renault do hold 40% voting shares in Nissan but Nissan only 20% (I think) of Renault. No idea about Mitsubishi.

https://www.alliance-2022.com/

11. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    Texas Forever likes this.
  12. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
  13. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    Tesla Cash Keeps Burning at $320 a Share

Financial markets are off to a good start today trying to stabilize after the worst week in two years for American equities. The tumultuous move in equities last week wiped $2 trillion from US. Tesla Inc. (TSLA) stock performance also took a beating at its worst week since July. The stock is trading around $316 at this writing, up 15% in the past 12 months. That compares with gains of 13% for the S&P 500 SPX, 20% for the Dow Jones Industrial Average (DJIA).

https://www.nasdaq.com/article/tesla-cash-keeps-burning-at-320-a-share-cm921137

14. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    "Investment conclusion

It’s becoming increasingly clear that Tesla’s guidance of sub-$100 cell costs is pure fantasy. That number might have made sense a couple years ago when precursor metal prices were lower. But it does not make sense today and it will not make sense in the future unless a natural resource fairy wearing a cobalt blue dress blesses our species with unlimited quantities of cheap technology metals."

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4146820-expert-opinion-cathode-powders-teslas-batteries-cost-50-per-kwh-spot-metal-prices

F2003-GA and Texas Forever like this.
  15. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    Some early owners of Tesla's Model 3 are reporting quality problems. Do buyers care?

"Mark Schey of Morristown, N.J., stepped into his garage a few mornings ago eager to hop inside his shiny new car — the much desired and currently rare Tesla Model 3 electric sedan. The one with the 15-inch touchscreen on the bare-bones dash.

He flashed his electronic key card to unlatch the door, but nothing happened. He tried the iPhone app, but that didn't work either.

There was no way to open the doors. There's not even a backup metal key.

Schey figured he'd need to jump the 12-volt battery needed to power the doors open from the outside. But the hood was locked shut, too."

http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-tesla-model3-quality-20180218-story.html

16. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    ^ why there is no mechanical backup in the form of a key is a mystery to me...T

17. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    My brother has a Model 3. He says it's the best car he's ever owned, and he's owned a few.

18. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    Tesla Estimates Getting Worse

"Summary

Bloomberg estimator shows little Model 3 progress.

Norway reportedly falling further behind.

With expenses surging, non-GAAP EPS estimates fall.

Last week, I discussed the possibility of Q1 2018 actually being a worse quarter for Tesla (TSLA) than what we saw in Q4 2017. Despite the final portion of last year showing a record loss for the automaker, a number of items continue to worry me regarding the current period. Today, I'll look at each of those items and discuss how they all come together.

Currently, the most important item for Tesla is the production ramp of the Model 3. Management is risking a credit rating downgrade if we don't see tremendous improvement in this quarter, as Moody's partially based its rating on the company's ability to deliver 300,000 Model 3 vehicles this year. In the credit rating article, I discussed how Bloomberg had created an estimator to track Model 3 production."

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4148158-tesla-estimates-getting-worse

19. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Elon is the master of spin he will work his way out this . Plus it helps to have a loyal and ardent following

20. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    I don't think the delays matter at all. The owners don't really have an alternative and they all love his products anyway and will wait. It's like Apple with their iPhone following. People don't care if there are delays or problems and will deal with it rather than bail and switch to something else.

21. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    A former employee says Tesla sells “lemons” in a new lawsuit

A former regional manager for Tesla is suing the company for demoting and firing him after he raised concerns that its practice of selling previously damaged cars was illegal. The plaintiff, Adam Williams, is bringing the suit under the Conscientious Employee Protection Act.

The lawsuit, surfaced by the Verge, says, “During the course of Mr. Williams’ employment with Defendants, he became aware of Defendants’ practice of failing to disclose to consumers high-dollar, pre-delivery damage repairs prior to any transaction with consumers.” It goes on to accuse Tesla of receiving vehicles designated as “lemons” and knowingly reselling them as “used” or “demo/loaner” cars. Tesla is denying the claim.

Last year, Tesla faced major production issues that held back production goals for its newest car, the Model 3. In January, CNBC reported that Tesla factory workers were, in some instances, putting batteries together by hand, and that quality may be have been affected. In its latest earnings statement, the company promised it is “taking many actions to systematically address bottlenecks and add capacity” in necessary areas.
    RR

https://www.fastcompany.com/40534389/a-former-employee-says-tesla-sells-lemons-in-new-complaint

22. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    jUOTE="BMW.SauberF1Team, post: 145833608, member: 15015"]I don't think the delays matter at all. The owners don't really have an alternative and they all love his products anyway and will wait. It's like Apple with their iPhone following. People don't care if there are delays or problems and will deal with it rather than bail and switch to something else.[/QUOTE]

In 2-3 years they will have alternatives like the Mission E, Audi Etron and 2019 Jaguar XJ will be electric as well

23. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    hey nigel, how short tesla stock are you?

24. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    It's insane to short Tesla no matter what happens Elon's got them covered o_O
    So IMO one can be negative on their prospects without having to burn through cash shorting them