Tell me about the older Porsche Cayennes as a teenager car! | FerrariChat

Tell me about the older Porsche Cayennes as a teenager car!

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Husker, Mar 23, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    My daughter will be driving soon. She wanted a Rover LR3 but I'm thinking something a tad bit more trouble free. Yours truly has a bit of an exotic car bent being a former Ferrari guy, so I'm wondering about a 2005,6,7,8 Porsche Cayenne? It looks like I can get one of these for my $10K budget if I look around.

I'm wondering if any of you guys have experience with these cars? I'm thinking the V6 would be best for her - she certainly doesn't need a hot rod to get into trouble with.

Are there any wheel updates that kind of spiff up the older models?

Thanks guys!

2. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    ask piper about these, he seemed to know quite a bit the last time this subject came up

3. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I had a couple of early ones, I would not describe them as trouble free. I had a LR4 for a little while as well, mine had issues (more than normal LR bought it back). My advise any car you can buy for 10K (that says Porsche), I'd run (quickly) away from. I bought a mini cooper s gearshift(wholesale for 6K) put a couple grand in it and I plan to use it as grocery getter when my winter cars go into storage at the end of this month. I'd look at older Jeeps, cars in that price range will have lots of miles though and unless to need AWD I'd stay away. When a differential goes it can be big money and most people never drain the fluids or properly maintain the AWD system. Teach her to drive a stick and get her a 500 Abarth , that is a lot more exotic than a soccer mom Porsche. I am going to teach my girlfriend 16 year old to drive one, using the mini.

4. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    Not trail rated.

Lotaz and Devilsolsi like this.
  5. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Cheap to buy (at times) but rarely cheap to own. Maintenance and insurance are substantial and that's not even considering petrol usage.

6. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    If she wants an SUV..just get her an off lease lexus RX350 or what ever they are called now. Great car, over the top reliable and easy on the wallet to keep on the road.

She doesn't need a Porsche. Unless you feel the need for her to have one for one reason or another..

Boomhauer likes this.
  7. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    Husker, these threads pop up time to time.
    The ones that answer have been down your road.
    IMHO, that's MY HO.
    Lease a NEW car, no worries and its LESS than the Porsche or whatever.
    Its the princess my friend.
    All old cars are..........OLD.
    IMHO
    gtjoey1314

8. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I would to stick with a Japanese made vehicle for 10K parts are very cheap and they run forever. Maybe an Acura MDX .. or a Subaru ....
    used Lexus etc.... all will go on and on ..

9. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    I have a few nieces who also wanted specific vehicles when they received their licenses. I recommended a Cayenne Manual in another thread and read torrents of comments regarding what type of vehicle would suit a teenage girl best ( the usual suspects - Soul, Honda, something new, a small sedan etc.). All good answers and every one of them a lost cause. Times have changed. Husker advised his daughter wanted an LR3. Try hoisting your thoughts on practicality when dealing with a teenager who desires something else. Especially 6 months after handing over the keys to a shiny Corolla. ;).

10. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    Aaaaand if she gets in a fight with her boyfriend, It can change to a Mercedes over night;)

11. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #11 Lotaz, Apr 1, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
    I bought my oldest daughter exactly what she wanted when she started driving. She killed the car with in a year. I bought my middle daughter a cheap brand new Saturn (this was a while back) and it lasted her 10 years, very trouble free. Bought something similar with my youngest with basically the same results.

The lessons I learned. First the cheap more reliable brand new car will be reliable, and my middle daughter ended up really appreciating it (not in the beginning). This continued with my youngest. Second, even if they seem responsible, you buy them what "THEY" want just to spoil them and show off what you bought them it will kick you in the rear. Third, buy with YOUR head not you ego or the kids heart. I wish I had used my head not my ego with my oldest but hey I wanted her to be the cool kid at school driving the upscale car. I was a silly guy.

I should also add that now that the oldest is out on her own in the world she drives a Hyundai. Very reliable cheap to own car.............................

12. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    2.5 years ago we spent $15k on a new Kia Soul with a stick for our then 15 year old daughter...car has been flawless....

Carnut likes this.
  13. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    Get to the next stage, through them all out, so you can buy yourself a new Porsche.......Its a great feeling, in my case an Aston!
    GTJOEY1314

14. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Both of my kids drove a 2006 Ford Expedition in high school (daughter is 17 and still driving it). I think it was the right choice.

Texas Forever likes this.
  15. xotik

xotik Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2009
    Gulf Coast
    Full Name:
    Chad
    ...but the Cayenne Turbo will scoot!

Oh wait, we are talking about a first car for a teenager. Nevermind. o_O

16. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. I think I'm going to take the advice and stick with a Japanese SUV of some sort.

Oh the things we do for our kids.

17. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Good idea sticking with Japanese for a teenager. I bought a Cayenne S in 04 new. It was a great vehicle, but had a few issues once it got older. Sold it in 2015 for $12k and it took months to sell. The issues that popped up got expensive to fix on a $10k car. I do miss it though.

18. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Sincerely wishing you the best. Both my family members caved after daily motivations regarding uninspired transport from their spawn ;). ‘Too light’ and ‘no power’ were invariably the best tactics to guilt Dad (ie resistance to crosswinds - oncoming traffic/ on ramp merging near collisions).
    The argument rages between 6:00 to 7:00 below.....;)