taxes on used car? | FerrariChat

taxes on used car?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by 95spiderman, Aug 16, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    i just bought a used car from out of state. my plan was to transfer plates from leased car that is getting returned in few weeks. but the out of state one came with plates so im just driving it around that way for now. still havent paid taxes to register the used car. i always notice many cars with out of state plates in poor neighborhoods. is that a way to avoid paying tax on the purchase? just buy out of state and drive it without registering and paying taxes?

2. bamaman

bamaman Formula Junior

Nov 27, 2015
    Mobile Alabama
    Full Name:
    William M (B.J.) Lyon, Jr.
    That won't work if you get pulled over. As soon as the sticker is no longer current, you won't be able to drive on the out of state plate.
    Can register with a bill of sale that might be a little lower to save some tax.

Auraraptor likes this.
  3. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Here's a thread with 700 posts 'related'. There's probably some relevant info/experiences in there. It's a real tangled web. What's legal versus what you can get away with. Most states are trying to close all these loopholes.
    I'm sure there are many more other threads on the subject. Just search various words and relatively recent. Good luck! :)

https://ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/montana-registration-crack-down.587351/page-29

4. jdlegg

jdlegg Karting

Dec 22, 2009
    Bryan
    Full Name:
    James D
    Even simpler solution - just pay your taxes/registration fees in the state in which you live and drive the car.

SVCalifornia and Davesvt2000 like this.