Supplemental fuel pump relays | FerrariChat

Supplemental fuel pump relays

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by jacques, Jul 25, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    supplenetal fuel pump relaysI have been considering removing the high amp drawing circuits out the fuse box such as fuel pumps/ ac/ radiator fans. I know that someone one this forum has accomplished this but I just cannot find the thread. Any and all info would be much welcomed. A diagram would certainly help. Thank you all in advance. Jq.

2. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Search threads for ones that I started; I did both fuel pumps and radiator fans.
    Ken <Southjersey400i>

3. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    Thank you.

4. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    Thank you!

5. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Fresh pumps draw a lot less current, and compared to other ancillaries in this car the wiring of the pumps is quite clean (short ground, no intermediate connectors), so no huge power loss across the line.

Instead of butchering the wiring, I'd try first new pumps and conductive grease on the relay pins, connectors and fuses (one of the member here had great success with MG Chemicals silver conductive grease), if this is not enough, the traces on the relay box can be beefed up. This is what I am currently doing on mine, no guarantee it will be perfect as I've not tested it yet... If you really want additional relays, then you can attach the relays to the pump, use the existing cables (clear brown?) as the signal for the relay, re-use the existing ground, and feed the positive through a cable that is connected to the battery. This cable can be routed along the frame ladder, up to the battery, and as suggested earlier this week you should add a fuse box next to the wiper pump. Once this is all working I would add a few layers of conformal coating to the relay, as it will be exposed to dirt debris and water.

I do not like the idea to tap directly high current accessories to the battery, as it does not pass through the ammeter, so you loose the capability to see that something is wrong with the accessory: when you turn the key but do not ignite the engine, all the current is provided by the battery, so passes through the shunt, if I see a huge amp-draw when I turn the key on, I know something is wrong with the pumps. Similarly, when I switch the engine off, I can see if the fans are drawing more than usual. Loosing this feature is a bit annoying.

6. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    My '84 400i has no ammeter only two lights, one for each alternator. I think earlier cars had ammeters. It is useful for all the reasons raemin stated.
    Ken

7. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido