Suicidal Cyclists? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Suicidal Cyclists?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Need4Spd, Jun 5, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nate Johnson

Nate Johnson Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2006
    USA
    #76 Nate Johnson, Jun 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2016

Sorry if nitpicking, but how does the Texas Legislature define the term 'operator'? If this statute applies only to operators of motor vehicles, then perhaps you can look again for a provision that applies to cyclists. Maybe I'm not the only one that rides in Texas and would like to be enlightened by a local.

Edit: N/M I skipped page 2 by accident and didn't see your response. I think the "ride as close to the right hand side of the right hand lane as practicable"-rule is also the law in my home state. This is hard to do safely sometimes on certain roads with no shoulder. I prefer a bike lane if available.

This next part is directed generally to all those involved in this conversation. I was trained to ride a road bike by an excellent coach. He included lessons about the rules-or-the-road for the times when we rode on roads with car traffic. I was taught all those things which kept me safe over many miles. The most important thing is to come home safe, not necessarily to be 'right'.

The cycling/pedestrian infrastructure is just not very good in most places. Roads are crowded and congested, especially in places where using a bike or walking for a short trip might be more efficient than using a car. People lack proper training on how to use bicycles safely. It's a shame.

While I am not as strong as I once was, I still enjoy the exercise. I enjoy the connection to the machine. When going quickly, especially in traffic, it requires all of my attention and high situational awareness. It's social when I want it to be (riding two abreast, in traffic), and solitary when I need it to be. I was smitten as a boy and it has become a lifetime love affair. And I want it to be a long life.

Ultimately, motorist should drive defensively and yield to slower traffic, out of control busses, and idiots GoogleInstaTweetFacing. Cyclist and pedestrians should take the initiative to learn the rules and obey them, if for no other reason than personal safety. Our government should support building more, better bicycle and pedestrian infrastructure. If they build it people will use it. Older cyclist should train younger cyclist on the Way.

2. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    The cyclists with the fancy outfits will NOT use the nicely paved bike paths. Millions of $ have been spent on miles and miles of new bike paths here, special bridges, etc. Families use them, most recreational cyclists use them. Only way is to make it illegal to use the road if there is a bike path close by...not goona happen. Pols are too afraid of them.

3. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    I know some highways are legislated that vehicles must be capable of a minimum speed to use them.

All states and provinces have unsafe speed for conditions laws. I'll quote California's:

"Basic Speed Law

22350. No person shall drive a vehicle upon a highway at a speed greater than is reasonable or prudent having due regard for weather, visibility, the traffic on, and the surface and width of, the highway, and in no event at a speed which endangers the safety of persons or property.

Amended Ch. 252, Stats. 1963. Effective September 20, 1963. "

Sure its annoying to slow down for cyclists and get stuck behind slow moving vehicles. But what sucks even more is traffic court!

4. norcal2

norcal2 F1 Veteran

A lot of bike paths have speed limits for safety..nothing worse then having somebody speeding along a windy trail and taking someone else out, ive seen it and have had it happen to me...
    I was in MPLS-St Paul last year riding they converted old rail road beds to bike trails and those were very efficient in getting cyclists off the street and safe I had a lot of fun riding them, in California bike lanes work good..I still stay off roads with little shoulder and windy, like hwy 1..id rather be alive wrong then dead right any day....
    So sad for the 5 killed in Michigan..at least they arrested the driver...

5. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    #80 PhilNotHill, Jun 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
    No speed limts on bike paths in Aspen/Pitkin County. On the curves there is a white line in the middle. Each cyclist stays to the right of the line...single file. Numerous mirrors to see around blind corners.

The problem is cyclists don't want to slow down or deal with pedestrians on the bike path. Which is the same problem motorists have with them. So they don't do for pedestrians what they demand motorists do for them.

Please note this is what the so-called "elitist" cyclists do. Regular folks without the fancy clothes and bikes not costing thousands gladly use the bike paths. They know it's safer than riding on a public road.

My beef is mainly with Lance Armstrong wannabees who don't followe the rules. BTW: Armstrong does have a house here. But that's a story for Another time. ;)

6. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    bike riders can be grouped together as idiots, and aholes all it takes is one or two to ruin it for the rest of them. the "hood" is surrounded with many bike paths. roads marked with bike lanes, federal and state park areas... the area is also used for competitive racing, making the area a good training area for the riders... while most obey their boundaries, there are the few that don't, making life miserable for those residents in the area. the roads can be very narrow with no shoulder and Armco barrier at the pavement's edge... if the bikers were more self policing about how they ride, they would get more respect from the motorists... the volume of riders and their arrogant attitudes, the local motorists are continuously disrespected and fed up

7. Nate Johnson

Nate Johnson Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2006
    USA
    I've ridden on Colorado's bike paths, which are great by the way, but I've also ridden probably thousands of miles along Colorado roads and highways. I'll use a separate bike lane if there is one. In all that time, I don't think I have ever had a problem with a motorist. On certain mountain passes, there is no bike lane, so I use the same lane as the cars. Most of these places have low speed limits 25mph or less. A few jerks in cars or trucks blow around, probably breaking the speed limit from time to time, but nothing stands out. I haven't ridden much around the town of Aspen, but I think most streets are 25mph. I'm pretty sure cars, outnumbering bikes, are more likely to speed in Pitkin County than bikes are.

As a motorist in Colorado, I just haven't had any run ins with cyclists. Most cyclist seem to be following the rules. Maybe, I'm just used to the way cyclist think, so I can usually anticipate what they are trying to do, avoiding run-ins. I don't know, sir. I'm just thinking aloud trying to maybe increase my understanding. I think Colorado has a mostly good cycling culture. It's one of the reasons I love it so much. Good infrastructure, support by the local and state government, and enthusiastic citizens. It sucks that you don't think it's working so well.

8. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    The original post states, that he tried to pass and a bike was in the on-coming lane. Then this group bashes bikes, some hold up their argument with the law. I was blamed as being part of the problem.

I guess it comes down to what you think the problem is.

9. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I just reread the OP.

My understanding is that the cyclists were not using the bike path making it difficult for him to pass traffic safely.

Driving on SH 24 to Colorado Springs there is a 65 mph stretch which is perfectly straight. You can see for a mile or more. There is no bike path. 2 lane road with no paved shoulder. At 65 you are going fast...too fast to see a cyclist coming in the other lane. Wearing bright clothes helps but when the cyclist is bent over about all you can really see is the helmet. White helmet just isn't bright enough to do much good. Surprised more aren't killed on this road. It's hard enough to see a motorcycle with headlights on...much more difficult to see a cyclist with no lights at all.

10. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I think Rob is right. Motorists do not want to share the road. Growing up, I always road my bike on the sidewalk because it was too dangerous to do so in the street. For the same reason I did not let my kids ride in the street when they were young either. I think the difference now is that bicycles are used as some kind of workout device like gym equipment - not to get a candy bar at the corner store or to go to your friends house and dump your bike in his driveway and go play in his yard. Not sure when it was OK for bikes to use motor ways but judging from threads like these its still a very bad idea and makes me wonder why it is even legal.