Status update on GCK install | Page 13 | FerrariChat

Status update on GCK install

Discussion in '348/355' started by ketel, Aug 25, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GerryD

GerryD Formula 3

May 5, 2010
    North of TO
    Full Name:
    Guido
    The belts being made the last while are very durable. Ive seen belts take a beating even with the tensioner bearing ceased and still the belt did not fail. There are stories out there of 355s going over 10 years without ever failing. 3 years ago of so, there was a story of a 355 with an elderly gentleman in Italy who was still driving with the original belt and well over 60,000 km. I believe the installation of the bearings, type of bearing and health of the tensioner is more important than just changing the belt.

2. Big Lebowski

Big Lebowski Formula Junior

Jan 24, 2013
    Peach state
    Full Name:
    Brownie
    I think the explanation is the 8750 rpm redline...

3. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    No, I have not tested them. I'm not actually buying these parts, just making a list of what is needed and I was just looking at what I could find a set for. These crimpers were out of the UK so I can say what the point of manufacture was. I also had a quote from Mouser in the same range as you for a TE crimping tool/jaws. So, using that tool would raise the cost to about $400. Here is a link to one of the tools I found.

Ratchet Crimping Tool for JPT Terminals

Regarding the 355 belt issue. As I said, they changed the owners manual to 3 years, I believe, in 1996 (definitely in 97). That's one year after the 355 was introduced, so there wasn't any long term, in use data for the 355 belts. And they didn't change the mileage recommendation (15k miles went to 15k miles or 3 years, which ever came fist). So the change doesn't seem to reflect anything but time. Certainly a belt with 3k miles and 3 years sees less thermal and running related stress that a 1 year old belt with 12k miles on it.

It certainly isn't clear to me what the motivation behind the change was. Heck, we never had 3k oil changes until Jiffy lub. Never had 3 year "fan" belt changes until Gates started advertising "Change you belts". Who know what drives the free market place. I've always believed it's profit! I thing I know if you tell someone to do something enough times, eventually they start doing it, if for no other reason than because everyone else does.

4. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky

Price comparison. You get what you pay for. In one case the price includes membership in a club, if you value that. So if you are inclined to install gold connectors (I'm not), and you believe the DH pins are some how better than gold JPT pins, just how much more are they worth, and extra $1300?

Let's see. Send me a couple of GCK pins and I'll test them and the JPT pins for clamping force and plating thickness. I'm curious.

5. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    #305 ernie, Nov 2, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
    Because I do NOT sell a "kit". Matter of fact I don't sell anything. All I do is share what little I have learned, which isn't much, so Ferrari owners don't have to think they need to pay crazy high prices to maintain their cars. That is what do-it-yourself is all about. You of all people should know that best.

Anyway.

Ketel, I hope you get your car fixed. Please let us know what ends up being the solution, so the next owner that encounters a similar situation can fix their car easier.

6. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    Buy them from the seller. Call Dave. I'm sure he'll be glad to sell you some.

7. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    No don't go there. Those 4 will only do a hatchet job. They have no interest in seeking real answers. 30+ pages of drivel over 2 threads show their intentions. I'm 99% sure SRI won't sell to them. They won't get any pins from me either nor will I educate them. Classic cluelessness is their understanding of the crimp tool.

8. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    FBB...really? again?

Why dont you measure the clamping force and we can send you these "knock offs"? You want to do the test?

Or, is it just so impossible for you to imagine that there really is no difference? We keep seeking the truth for the good of everyone. If your connectors are so special, why not prove it?

And if you dont want to....then why are you still posting? Why is it so bad to want to get the facts?

infact.....why don't we measure the 1) stock jpt.....2) the mouser 28 cent gold plated jpt with a modified spring...and 3) The $10 Gold connector that you have

We could do a double blind, placebo controlled trial! If you win I will change my avatar to FBB is the greatest. if you loose, change yours to Stoogeboy. Deal?

If anyone else has a spare Gold connector, can you send it to JohnK?

9. GarageWarrior

GarageWarrior Karting

Aug 15, 2013
    Westerly, RI
    I'm pretty sure it's made in China, but if they got dies designed correctly, it will work. Would be interested to hear feedback if anybody gets to try it!