Starting to Look for 400 or 365 | FerrariChat

Starting to Look for 400 or 365

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Beta Scorpion, Jan 23, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Beta Scorpion

Beta Scorpion Formula 3

Jun 22, 2006
    When the Ferrari market crashed and I was still in Graduate School, I had a plan of some day having a small Ferrari collection for $100,000. I figured $50,000 for a flat 12 and then $25,000 a piece for a V8 2+2 and V12 2+2

So something like Testarossa, (Mondial 8 or 308 gt4), (400i or 250gte).

Well, I have the Testarossa and wound up getting a 308 GT4 instead of a Mondial 8 and now I am starting to look for a V12 2+2. Since I went a little over on the Testarossa and went a little under on the 308 gt4 I would say my budget is $30,000. Of course, when I made this plan it was many years ago and I was single. Now that I am married I am going to have to look for something I can get in the $13,000 to $15,000 range. Of course this will be a project car, but that is what I am after. Another possibility would be a 400A that the wife could drive which would allow me to spend more because I would call it 'her' car.

Anyway, there is one on FerrariAds.com for $15,500
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/ferrariads/showproduct.php?product=1355&sort=1&cat=12&page=1
    but it is in CA which is like being on another planet in terms of me ever getting out there to see it.

This one is in Canada but no price:
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/ferrariads/showproduct.php?product=1575&sort=1&cat=12&page=1

2. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    i called on this car over six months ago and it was already sold ( went to a buyer in upstate NY ). Steve was looking to raise the bar as it was a one owner car. i'm not 100% sure what it sold for but i think it was mid $30,000us
    maybe it's back though...who know's ? worth the call. i just finished rebuilding the carbs on my 400 and did the major in the fall so i don't need another big project right now but i was very interested at the time.

brett

3. Beta Scorpion

Beta Scorpion Formula 3

Jun 22, 2006
    I see in your profile you have a 2 post lift. I need to get one of these but I would like one with arms low enough to get under a testarossa. How do you like your lift? How low are the arms?

4. ed_and_tonny

ed_and_tonny Karting

Aug 4, 2006
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Full Name:
    Ed Quillian
    Go to the post from last week titled "save this 400i". I was going to buy the car but my wife's pending medical issues have put that on hold. I have some additional pictures of the car and I posted the Q&A I went through with Michael Rozenstraten of Ferrari Service in Costa Mesa. The car is basically in good shape, but does need some TLC and touchup. Will also need new tires, or new wheels and tires (has the original TRx so you need the special tires). Compression is outstanding on all cylinders. Car has been repainted 2 twice (I love the green BTW). Rear section exhaust on both sides will need to be replaced in the near future but I'm guessing you could get by for now. Interior is good, headliner is good, dash has minimal pull back around the vents, needs new carpet. No rear speakers, needs new lug bolts, needs the hood insulation. email me off-line and I'll send the few other pictures I have.
    BTW Mike is a great guy to talk to. He is/was selling the car for the owner who is handling his brothers estate. But be quick - at this point Michael may take the car himself as a parts car - that would be a shame!

5. bergxu

bergxu Formula 3

Aug 16, 2005
    OnTheSerpentMound
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Also check with F-chat member imcc, he has an '85 400i that I've seen in person and looks to be a pretty nice car. I think it has around 35K miles on it. He's also here in Cincinnati.

Cheers,
    Aaron
    '82 GTSi
    '83 400iA

6. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    i love the lift, but ofcourse i would because it's my first and i can only compare it to not having one...which is the worst kind.
    it is perfect for the 400 but i still have to jack up the 308 a bit so i would guess a TR might need a boost as well. maybe one of these days i'll get around to making some low profile ramps so i can avoid pulling out the jack each time she goes up. which will be soon as i need to rebuild my tranny in the 308(3rd gear syncro) before the spring. any advice on what to do while i'm inside the gearbox would be appreciated. 3rd is the only problem now but i'll 'take stock' once i look inside. are there any accepted 'must do's' or do you just measure everything and order what you need ?

brett

7. Davidindallas

Davidindallas Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    If I'm remembering the ad right, the car on this forum had a mechanic's lien and other caveats, bells and flags. If I were making the decision for you, I'd opt for an earlier carbed car, preferably the 400 with a stick shift or the latest car (412) with an automatic, depending on whether you want old school sounds and charm or usability. Given the apparent plan to round out you holdings, I'd lean toward the later automatic. You have the high speed GT and the corner carver. I have both a 365 GT 4 and a 412. They're very different and very cool in their own respective ways.

8. ed_and_tonny

ed_and_tonny Karting

Aug 4, 2006
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Full Name:
    Ed Quillian
    The car with the mechanics lien was sold to fellow from Washington state. All in all it was a decent car that had been worked on by Ferrari Service of Costa Mesa to replace the poorly previosly installed MSD ignition and I believe a new distributor. Good compression numbers, was a driver that needed a paint job (peeling clear coat on hood and roof) and new set of wheels and tires.

9. Davidindallas

Davidindallas Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    I wouldn't doubt the car was physically sound. The fact that someone owned it but wouldn't pay for some mechanical work just makes you wonder. Fortunately, the seller was straight enough to disclose that up front.

10. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Never know what might happen. Maybe he sent the car in for repairs, got a $10k bill and **** his pants. Or maybe he had full intention of paying and lost his job in the meantime...

Who knows. All that matters should be that the car was solid...who cares about the previous owner.

11. Beta Scorpion

Beta Scorpion Formula 3

Jun 22, 2006
    I just got my Forza for the month and the 2 seater 250 Market Report painted a dismal picture of ever owning a 250. I remember when those 250 cabs. were not much more than a 250 GTE.

The picture painted was the the parts can be quite limited in availability and I honestly don't know how bad it is now as when I helped my dad restore his 250, the car was only 15 years old and that was 30 years ago.

Anyway, by comparison, parts availability and cost of the car are so much more favorable for the 400. And you get a big rip-roarin' V12 with about twice the horsepower of a bread-and-butter 250. And the 400 is much, much more 'driveable.'

I remember driving dads 250 GTE from Ohio to Atlanta for the late 70s FCA meet, following his 308 and it was like no big deal. Don't see that many 250s on the road these days, but back then our 250 was newer then all the 308s are now.