Speeders Beware | FerrariChat

Speeders Beware

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by Ferrari Fanatic, Dec 31, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari Fanatic

Ferrari Fanatic Formula 3

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal
    So with the new year there will be new fines for speeders cited over 100 MPH. Starting tomorrow the fine for first time offenders is $750.00 Repeat Offenders face a $1,000 fine. I am laying low for another 11 months so my one and only ticket will drop off. My Insurance agent said that at 2 points my insurance premium will double. What a crock of ****!

Cheers

2. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    Yeah, it's a complete crock.

People found guilty of speeding at over 100mph have always had stiff fines imposed. I had a friend who was caught doing 120+ and he was arrested and kept in jail over a weekend. Ultimately, his fine was $800+. This was about two years ago.

If you are caught, get an attorney. Use every trick in the book to get it dismissed on a technicality. Otherwise, fight it tooth and nail so that it costs them more than $750 to prosecute it.

File the most onerous Motion for Discovery you can dream up. Ask for everything, including the cop's medical records, psychological assessment(s), performance evaluations, eye exam results...everything. Ask for calibration data, logs, manufacturer's manuals, surveys, radio and dispatch logs, etc., etc. Heck, ask for the cop's high-school diploma. If more than one cop was involved, ask for everyone's credentials. The harder you make it, the more likely it is they won't comply, and you get it dismissed or force them to waste more time and make another trip back to court.

Calling the court and asking for a different date two hours before the trial usually ensures that the cops have to make at least two trips. Asking for more time to prepare a defense also adds a trip. Asking for a different judge...another trip. Different venue...more hassle.

Most of the time, they give up. But, even though you are entitled by law to a dismissal, you will need a lawyer to sway the judge to do the right thing. They don't like civilians messing with them. :D

3. Ferrari Fanatic

Ferrari Fanatic Formula 3

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal
    I like that, anything to level the playing field.

So last Saturday my wife and I decide to go to Half Moon Bay and spend the weekend at the Ritz Carlton. I am driving my E-500 as it is raining so the F-Car stays in the garage. I pass Canada Road on 92 and a CHP who is going the other way, he stares me down and the flips a u-turn in the middle of the road. I look down at the speedo and notice that....I am not speeding! He stays behind me for a couple of miles and then pulls off to the side of the road. 30 seconds later he pulls back out to follow me again. Don't these guys have anything better to do?

I can only imagine your spirited group drives to HMB on 92. Oh my! have you guys been hasseled on that strech?

4. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    I am with you, they should banish speeding tickets, PERIOD (I wonder if Rich is reading?) If not as you say it will cost them more to prosecute than what the law allows as maximum penalties and fines. I for one will not leave one stone unturned when it comes to fighting a speeding ticket.

5. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    Yeah, a few times. Trick is to make a left at the top of the hill, onto Skyline. I know that road like the back of my hand. 4 turns in, they are not in the rearview mirror. Then I turn off onto a private road and wait till I hear them go past. I then go back out and resume my journey, happy that
    a) I lost the mofo
    b) I sent him 34 miles out of his way--it's 17 miles in to Alice's and unless he goes down the hill, it's 17 miles back out.

Moral: A turn in time saves nine.

I once had the cop see me pull back out, and even though it took him some time to flip a u-turn, I knew he would be on my tail at the merge back onto 92. So, like any law-abiding citizen, I went slow enough to let him catch me--he came up real fast, but with no lights, so I pretended like I was pulling over onto the wide gravel shoulder right by 92. He followed, still no lights. He pulled in next to me, I smartly pulled right back out again, ignoring him completely, went back up the road again, and waited in a different driveway till he screamed past again, sirens, light show and all.

Moral: Sometimes the children get lost unless you lead them by the hand and show them where they are supposed to go.

Even funnier is that I rode my bike to Alice's the next day and met two cops there, just "hanging out" (yeah sure)--they mentioned how dangerous the roads were and how a fellow officer had run into the mountainside in a "high-speed pursuit of a sports car." Could it be?

Moral: Some kids never learn...

6. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
    Nope.

7. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    If you read the entire revisions carefully, you'll see that they can take your car. Yep, take your car. Permanently.

Art

8. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    Where can I find Yugos that do 130? With a bypass valve to route the exhaust to the interior...flip it as you get pulled over and wish them well as they drive off.

9. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    While I concur that there are a bunch of f0cking idiots on the road, this law is the height of absolute stupidity. Who the **** gave them the right to take away your car?

I can go with the you gotta pay to play setup (although the hike in fines is completely unjustified - and when cops start pulling over other cops for driving quickly w/o emergency, I'll stop fighting tickets), but some aspects of the law, and the bullsh!t tactics used get me under the skin...

--Dan

10. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    Sadly, we did. By not being aware of, and by not fighting, such retarded measures as they were winding their way through the legislature. And by allowing a climate of fear to be fostered (again by not fighting back), where fear-mongering jackasses could hijack the system to advance their own misguided bills.

11. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    BINGO! You see, as an uninformed member of the general populace, I was never aware that such a measure was even in consideration. Clearly, aside from the few idiotic groups of Mothers Without A Clue (tm) who continue to blame drunken Johnny's midnight rendez-vous with a telephone pole on speeding and fast cars, my guess is most voters would've turned this one down. Of course, that's assuming it came to a vote.

--Dan

12. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
    hahahhaha

Aint the truth a *****.

13. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
    fwiw.
    The fines on DUI's have increased as well.
    Also,
    New laws about kids riding in the front seats.
    Also,
    a lot more.

14. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    Rich, noone's complaining about the laws that have to do with increasing child safety, or DUI fines...question is, do you agree with this law? Seriously, do you think the police should have the right to take our cars permanently if we go over a 100?

15. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
    I have chosen to no longer paricipate in conversations that are going to be one sided and biased.

Law are in place to protect people. AKA, my mom,my sister, my sisters kids, etc.

I respect the laws, even the ones I do not agree with.

Do I speed, yes. All the time. Do I speed over 100 often, no.

16. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Speed itself is not the issue, and relative speed (ie the difference between 85mph and 100mph) does NOT:

a) greatly or even materially increase the chances of an accident
    b) contribute to a greater risk of injury.

At 85mph vs 100mph, the force of impact is so great that in both situations your chances of death / grave injury are somewhat similar.

My biggest problem with these laws is that they don't effectively act as influences by which speeders will not speed, they simply increase the fines levied against said speeders. If you really want to stop speeding, then make EFFECTIVE deterrents in doing so, not revenue-generating ones.

The real solution, and I know it will never come in this country or even this state, is REAL driver's education, REAL driver training, and a REALLY hard driving test.

Time and time again I have harped on about the standards of driving control, situational awareness and vehicle dynamics understandings by those licensed drivers in most european countries. hell, even ENGLAND has a hugely strict driving test.

Of course, with automotive lobbyists and self-righteous citizens who *know* they are good drivers, this will never come to be.

I'll put it this way, I consider myself a much better than average driver. But, I know that I am absolutely not a great or even very good driver. I mean, I just have to look at my own times versus Rich, MM or any number of drivers and I fall pathetically short of skill. But I know I'm better than most of the yokels out there... scary thought, given how bad I am.

--Dan

17. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

Admit it, Rich: That Camry I was driving totally OWNED you on 101.

Come on, admit it!!!

;-)

18. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    I meant to add one thing: this type of speeding control is even LESS effective than most gun control measures... the difference is, there *are* viable deterrents possible if someone's willing to step up to the plate.

Sorry to see Arnie isn't. Pity, because I'm a fan in general.

--Dan

19. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

#19 maranelloman, Dec 31, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    Say what? I am not asking you for a thesis. Just a yes or no...possibly with an explanation of your viewpoint. You seem to have done that anyways, so why preface it with this?
    In principle, yes. But there are good laws and bad laws. The legal code is constantly changing. And the process is often hijacked by people with other agendas. You come across as cheering every time a law is mentioned that grates on people's nerves and serves no useful purpose, victimizes members of society, and is ill-conceived. Yet you base your views on noble ideals. Weird.
    Do you know what respect means? It means compliance. If you are speeding, you are not respecting it. Besides, I wasn't asking about respect, rather, I was asking if you were in agreement with this law--in principle and/or in its premise (that a gov't official can seize your hard-earned property on tenuous grounds). And here, in your last sentence, you are hinting that you don't agree with it. :confused:

21. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
    No comment from any of the replies, expect for yes, Dave, the Camry owned me.

22. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    Here it is with a qualification; please note the "often", hehehe...

I had heard they could confiscate the car if they caught you on those street races and drifting burn outs where many people hang out and gets sort of out hand and dangerous... but never heard of this stupid law of losing your car if caught speeding over 100 MPH?

By the way do the radar guns actually have a triple digit display where they can actually see over a 100 speed or the cop has to physically be on your tail for sometime to determine your speed?

23. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~

Thats the solution.

BTW, don't forget to turn on your headlights when it is raining hard enough for you to have your wipers on. Another new law.

24. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

LOL! Yeah, Jason enjoyed it. Until I told him how lightly you were likely pressing the gas pedal while I had it floored.

Heh...

25. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
    :)