Speciale Collectability | FerrariChat

Speciale Collectability

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by islandtrader, May 7, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. islandtrader

islandtrader Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2013
    I am wondering if I should invest in a speciale. Do you guys think it will eventually be a collectable car since it is the last N/A? Where do you guys see values going?

2. phanliu

phanliu Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2015
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Noel
    Only if you get the Aperta. Otherwise it's going down as soon as the 488 special version is out.

3. Ford

Ford Karting

Jun 11, 2013
    Yes, I own a speciale and it is just an amazing car. Is it the fastest car out there? No. But look at it from a scenario where I could take my speciale to Hennessy, turbo charge it and have a much faster car, but what would I have? Just another fast turbo charged car which there are many. And cars like the 488, 675lt will just keep pushing up the HP and play the bragging rights game. In three years the 488 version of the speciale will come out but again it will be a HP increase, design tweek and will be FAST. So will many other cars out there. NA cars have very special feel that you can never duplicate. The 458 speciale to me is the BEST NA V8 car ever made and it is a Ferrari. I would love a speciale in a V12 though.

mthompson2376 likes this.
  4. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    I think the word "invest" shouldn't really be used with cars. Unless you have a super limited production car it's unlikely it will go up in value (Think laferrari or TDF or Aperta)

Even if other models do eventually go up in value it's unlikely a very good "investment". If you wisely invested your $350,000 over ten years the value would be much higher than a $350,000 speciale in 2026? Some would say that they get to have fun driving the investment but I would argue if you buy any car as an investment it's unlikely you'll drive it much for concerns of mileage or even worse damage depreciation. One rear end accident and your "investment" is done.

Thus I would buy one if you want to drive it and pound it around a track with the understanding you are spending (and losing) money. Much more fun.......

5. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    Why would a Speciale depreciate and not the Aperta? Scuderias are still holding on strong.

mthompson2376 likes this.
  6. chris5150

chris5150 Formula Junior

Apr 16, 2009
    Well here in the uk it seems speciales have been a good investment, typically a £230ish car new and now going In the used market anywhere between £350-400k... So a £150k return on a £230k in say 18 months indeed is a pretty good investment
    Here in the uk the speciales never went down in value at all at any point on the second hand market, just up .., we shall see where the ceiling is
    I reckon as last of the normally aspirated ( and of course very highly acclaimed car ) they will hold value very well , If I could buy one at £250k I would be very confidant it was an excellent investment , not so sure if I had to pay £400k though as not sure how high they will go ... Struggle to see the £500k speciale.... But it's possible in a few years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Camlet1

Camlet1 Formula 3

May 3, 2014
    UK
    I wouldn't buy as a investment.

I own a Speciale and a Speciale Aperta. The Speciale is a fantastic car and at the moment, they are both showing a profit. But we have very short memories. Before 2012 the market was lukewarm at best. In 2011 my brand new 599 GTO went backwards 10% from its new car price. Then 2013 the market went nuts.

We are now facing very fragile times, China has a massive debt problem which will go pop and current economic indicators are far from robust.

Buy a Speciale for the incredible car it is. Forget any investment equation, especially if you are thinking of financing it. That's a definite no.

8. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Well, it depends on how old you are and how optimistic you feel about the appreciation! It took 308s, what? 30-40+ years to rise in price? Speciales may take less time as they're last of breed, there are fewer of them, and we are on the cusp of a hybrid/electric paradigm shift, so it could happen sooner. But more likely, they will just depreciate less than other 458s in the immediate future, so how long do you think you can hold onto the car? And driving it will negatively impact the value. So you spend all that money, park the car for 20+ years and hope it appreciates?

9. Russell996

Russell996 Formula 3

Sep 24, 2010
    New Forest UK
    Full Name:
    Russell

Numbers!
    The Speciale will be strong as it is a great car, but not as strong as the Aperta (or Scud or CS) which is purely down to the number produced - 3200+ Speciales (which is a lot) compared to 650+ Apertas (also a lot).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. Jasone

Jasone Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 15, 2011
    Tampa Florida
    Full Name:
    Jasone
    Everything he says minus TDF and Aperta.

11. Jasone

Jasone Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 15, 2011
    Tampa Florida
    Full Name:
    Jasone
    499 Apertas

12. Russell996

Russell996 Formula 3

Sep 24, 2010
    New Forest UK
    Full Name:
    Russell
    Only on the brochure and the dash I'm afraid. I doubt that a few hundred more than the intended 499 will affect prices and of course Ferrari will never publish a figure.

13. DavidJames1

DavidJames1 Formula 3

Mar 6, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    I'd be interested to know where you get your numbers from and what the actual number of RHD cars is. Australia got 14, NZ got 0, Singapore I think was 5, Thailand was 2 and I have no clue about Malaysia, Hk, Japan, India (RHD?) and the UK.

14. Russell996

Russell996 Formula 3

Sep 24, 2010
    New Forest UK
    Full Name:
    Russell

UK got 65 confirmed cars (2 LHD).
    Expected number originally was under 40. (UK is 9% approx. Ferrari production)

15. FerrariFL

FerrariFL Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2012
    Will continue to appreciate... Last NA non spider. As important, a wonderful drivers car that can be enjoyed in many different driving environments.

16. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Short term - less than 3 years NO
    Long term - more than 10 years - absolutely.

The day will come in the future (probably 20 years or so) that the Speciale will be a million dollar plus car. The ranks will be thinned by the accidents in them at the track, much as happened to the Ford GT.

17. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Your long term prediction on the Speciale might be correct if one caveat is met. You don't drive it...meaning very low mileage. What fun is that ?

18. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Until it's not...

19. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Not in the short term. If you buy one now, it will be cheaper later. At some point it may begin to appreciate again, but look how long it took for 360CS to appreciate, and look how the 430S is still under MSRP by quite a bit. Speciale may or may not be the last NA V8 (I think it won't be,) but they will have also made quite a lot of them.

360CS -- appreciated
    430S -- depreciated
    16M -- appreciated
    Speciale -- around MSRP
    Aptera -- appreciated

I personally do not think the Speciale will be a good investment at this point, and may never be a great investment.

Also keep in mind that you probably can't use it much. If you put a lot of miles on it, the value will be drastically different in the short to medium term. You'd have to hold the car 20+ years for the mileage to stop mattering.

20. FerrariFL

FerrariFL Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2012
    Just curious, how do you figure the speciale will not be the last NA mid engine V8 Ferrari?

21. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    #21 freshmeat, May 8, 2016
    Last edited: May 8, 2016
    Looking to its predecessors, the Speciale will almost certainly depreciate before it appreciates.

Relatively speaking this is what I've observed, there are obviously outliers to each generation, but for the most part it's been accurate for Rosso specimens with the widely accepted low mileage threshold of <5k miles.

'04 CS curve
    Went as low as $130k in 2010. Gradual reverse of that trend, slowly back up to the $170s in 2012, before breaking the $200k threshold in 2014, bringing it to its now 2016 $220+k mark

--------

'09 Scuderia
    Went as low as $180k in 2012. Gradual reverse of that trend back up to the $190s in 2014, before breaking the $200k threshold just last year in 2015, bringing it to its now 2016 $220+k mark

--------

CS production is less than Scuderia production and so it makes sense that the prices have now overlapped. CS & Scuderia prices both seem to still be on a gradual upward trend.

--------

Speciale production is greater than either CS or Scuderia (we can debate how much greater in another thread), so I see Speciale prices having way more to fall in the immediate term like its predecessors, before it bounces back up again. So based on history, pretty certain it won't be over msrp again anytime soon.

22. bigblock737

bigblock737 Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2013
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Andy B.
    @noone1: NA is not going to return. Turbo is much cheaper and more efficient at low powersettings.

23. CF Shield

CF Shield Karting

Oct 22, 2014
    Norcal
    I've been following the market the past couple of years in search of a Speciale to complete the trio. The asking prices have increased from +$30k over to +$70k over. I've seen inventory increased the past few weeks, probably related to the delivery of 488. Although it is the last NA v8, they've made quite a few of them. I think they will drop quite a bit below MSRP, like the CS and Scuderia did.

24. FerrariFL

FerrariFL Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2012
    I respectfully disagree, low mileage 09 striped scud in white, red 0r yellow are nearing if not exceeding $300k sale price. I don't see this changing and therefore I don't see Speciale getting close to these numbers. I feel the world market has changed for low production modern day Ferraris and not fair to comapre to where things were 10+ yrs ago.

25. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark

Every single thread you have posted is how the Speciale is going down in value. I suspect you are trying to buy one and its out of your reach financially.